Hill 2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Jan 25, 2014.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    So the author of the previous Hill post, have to give him props for playing much more in control and with a sense of purpose.

He created, dished, and had a nice mid range jumper go in.

Played much more confident and collected.

This is the Kasey Hill we need going forward.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    Donovan is a master.

How many times does he have to turn Po into the Dragon Warrior for people to realize if you show a glipmse as a freashman you will be a beast by your jr/sr year?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ncgatorfan

ncgatorfan Member since 1996 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +748
    Kasey had a really good game only had 2 pts and 3 assists but he helped on defense a lot and gave scottie much needed rest ... He was in control most of the game. We don't need him to run the team right now ..Some maturing is happening
  4. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Still looks like a 3-4 year player for us. That jumper needs A LOT of work, luckily Francis and Frazier III are the real deal so they can take plenty of shots.
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    Agreed. Nice outing for Kasey.
  6. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Yes, Hill played much, much better today. Very glad to see it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,697
    Announcers were giving our program some good accolades when they were talking about how Casey has worked within the program and can now be considered a pro prospect.
  8. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    They were talking about Casey
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    I think you way underrate how highly the scouts value Hill. They don't care whether a kid does something well regularly, which in college is often a result of experience or a highly developed phase of his game, but rather that he can do something. They see Hill pull up for that silky smooth 15 foot jumper and think that with more practice time in the league he will be able to do that with regularity. Same thing with his quick hands defensively, his speed in the open court, his finishing on the break, his drive and kicks to open shooters, etc. In my opinion, there is no way Hill stays 3-4 years. He is ahead of just about every freshman point guard we've had at this stage of his career other than Calathes.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,697

That's what I said
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    Hill is a two year guy, imo. Only thing keeping him longer would be injury (yes, I literally knocked on wood) or the genuine desire to pursue a degree.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    If by two year guy, you're talking defection to the Greek leagues, then yes. Alot of our guys could be two year guys.
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  13. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    Is he just in a slump this season as far as shooting, or was he that bad in high school also? Seems odd that he could be a McDs without the ability to score.
  14. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    I'm not sure what you're seeing, but Hill has a very high ceiling and unlike typical freshmen who hit a wall, he continues to improve. Make no mistake; if he stays healthy, he will be ready for the NBA by the end of next season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    He was the smallest guy on the court in the McD game, but was able to make some plays, mostly feeding the ball, but also creating some shots. I think his learning curve will be fast. I also think we'll see some physical development from this season to the next. I'm thinking two seasons, three max. He's just too good an athlete and ball handler, and too high a baseball IQ not to go out early.
  16. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    Very few freshmen come in at this level ready to score. For freshmen, there is almost no such thing as creating your own shot. It takes years to develop (see Prather) John Wall was not a great shooter, but had other skills (handling/distributing) and the potential to become a scorer. So no, there is no slump and he was by no means bad in high school. He remains one of the most talented freshmen in the nation who happens to be playing on one of the best teams against stout competition. And he does not lack the ability to score. At this point, we have better options, which limits his opportunities.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    I'm not trying to disparage him, nor do I expect him to be an immediate scorer. I'm just wondering if he had a jump shot in high school that has been absent this season so far? Prather wasn't a McDs and I'm used to seeing guards that have played in that game to have some shooting ability. Was he just a slasher to the basket in high school or did he also have a midrange and deep game?
  18. domgator

domgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    All of our guards were so much faster than Tenn's guards and Hill was like a blur out there. Tenn really struggled with our speed and our physicality which is unusual when we play the Vols. Great job today.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    I'll let someone who watched him more closely in HS answer that question. The jump from HS to major college hoops, though, almost always results in freshmen offensive games disappearing. It really takes experience and coaching to develop.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    His mid range jumper is fine. He has hit that little 15-foot pull up a number of times and even when he has missed it looks nice. The problem is that our lack of floor spacing has made any 12-16 ft shot or so very tough to come by. Wilbekin has always been solid from there, but he can hardly get off an uncontested shot in that area. Prather has been the only consistent guy, but largely because he has been elevating over the congestion and scoring with things like his jump stop hook.

Hill was never a very good perimeter shooter as a prep, but he worked hard the last year or so to improve, even if the statistics don't look too hot. If you notice, most of his makes and his better misses have come with the ball in his hands as opposed to off the ball. He has never really played off the ball before--unlike Wilbekin, who was always good spotting up, but didn't become effective shooting off the bounce from the arc until this season--and most of his ugly misses have come in catch and shoot situations off skip passes. That's just not his game and it never will be. Fortunately, with his athleticism, open court speed, handles, vision, and passing ability, it doesn't have to be.

The other thing to bear in mind is that much better shooters than Hill have struggled shooting as freshmen. Nelson, Green, Parsons, Boynton, even Wilbekin were all pretty awful as freshmen. Beal had some rough spots, too, and most of those guys were considered shooters coming to campus. Add to the complexity for Hill that he missed several weeks with an ankle and that he has been sharing minutes at the one, and I think it stands to reason that he would be struggling at this point.