High School teacher bashes U S military ∙ "Lowest of our low."

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Jan 28, 2018.

1. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,345
    The last thing we need is for him to get his ass kicked. He would then become the victim and the latest cause celeb of the left.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,017

While there are some bright people in the military, I have NEVER seen one that would come across as mentally disabled. There are some who are not as "book smart" as the average person, but they can do depot level maintenance on a 5 ton truck at 2 am in the woods using nothing but a flashlight and a crescent wrench.

Off topic, but I had a Soldier come thru BCT the Army had specifically recruited from MIT. 2 Masters, one in aerospace engineering and the other in physics. The TRADOC CDR (a 4 Star Gen) called my boss about him. My boss told me specifically "train him, but don't eff with him. That means if you have to personally teach him everything he needs to graduate, you WILL do it. He is too valuable to the Army". To talk with this guy, you would think he wasn't too smart, but he had so much crap going thru his head he had a hard time getting it out. Smart as hell, but I had to baby sit him all the way thru BCT.
  3. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,957
    No system of justice is perfect but at least those cover-ups were uncovered and corrective actions were taken.

The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ, 64 Stat.109, 10 U.S.C. §§ 801–946) is the foundation of military law in the United States. It was established by the United States Congress in accordance with the authority given by the United States Constitution in Article I, Section 8, which provides that "The Congress shall have Power....To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval forces".

https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/the-uniform-code-of-military-justice-ucmj.html

http://www.ucmj.us/

4. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +418
    Well if you want to contrast the two, this guy, if he was in the military would have been separated from service long ago. Maybe one of the difference is the military does a pretty good job of holding people accountable for what they do.
    probably not a great example, since there aren’t a lot of teacher loosing their jobs or being demoted for having an affair with a consenting adult.
    A more accurate comparison is a teacher physically abusing a student for lack of motivation vs a service member physically abusing a trainee.
  5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,526
    No one should be above reproach simply because of their occupation. I have worked phenomenal teachers and those that have left much to be desired.

I've met active military officers that were wonderful people and some that were the biggest a-holes ever. I'm sure you have, too.

In those cases cited by the article the higher your rank, the more you get away with and the lighter your punishment.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +761
    12 yr vet here.

There are lots of Charlie Browns in the military to include the USAF of which I served 12 years. Absolutely nothing wrong with pointing that out. We were human. I think it's great that is shown because I cringe whenever somebody says the "thank you for your service" comments which are used as a feel good when voluntarily approving the sending of troops to die.
    Education does not indicate worthiness nor can confirm common sense. So, the teacher said an anti military thing? My high school history teacher was an ate up ex Marine that cried at the sound of the National Anthem. They come both ways you see.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GT Gator

GT Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,806
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,870
    I am just tired of these crazed leftist teachers trying to force their nonsense on underage kids. This wasn't allowed at most schools years ago and it shouldn't be allowed now. The left which includes most most teachers want non PC stuff to be off limits for teachers but their left wing indoctrination to be allowed.
  9. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +11,957
    [​IMG]
    Gregory Salcido AP
    Salcido, a teacher and city councilman who was captured on video calling members of the U.S. military “the lowest of our low” is defending his comments, saying he is a pacifist who wants his students to choose college instead of the military. Salcido says he became a pacifist after seeing pictures of relatives who died in war on his grandmother’s wall as a child in Los Angeles. After his remarks, the council voted to condemn Salcido’s remarks, and urged his resignation. Salcido said he was sorry to anyone his comments may have hurt, but he did not apologize for the remarks themselves, which he said "were definitely out of context." Salcido said he was trying to get his students, most of whom are low-income minorities, not to settle for the Army or Navy. "My goal as it relates to my students is to get them to do everything to get to college," said Salcido, who was shouted down by some angry members of the audience. "I wanted to challenge them to reach their academic potential." Nearly 50 public speakers — many who served in the armed forces or have children in the military — made patriotic and pro-military comments to Salcido. Some called him shameful and cowardly. Dennis Jackson, 67, who grew up in Pico Rivera, was one of several who said Salcido was abusing his position as a teacher. "A classroom is a place of learning, not propaganda," Jackson said. The student who made the video and his family chose not to attend, saying through an attorney that they believed their presence would inflame the situation. Salcido said he has gotten fairly constant and profane threats via social media and phone calls since the video spread, some saying they were going to kill him and make his son an orphan. "I am a pacifist," Salcido said. "I am opposed to any sort of violence. If any of you try to do me any harm, I'm not going to fight you." At Tuesday's meeting, the mayor and three of four council members expressed their disagreement with remarks that Councilman Salcido, a high school history teacher, made to a student in his class. Mayor Gustavo Camacho called it "bullying, arrogant and aggressive behavior." The council can't force Salcido from his post but Camacho introduced a motion to censure Salcido — which would bar him from city committees and appointments — and asking him to resign from the council. Salcido voted against the resolution and a fifth council member abstained, saying the resolution, which is not binding except to bar Salcido from committees and appointments, was pointless. Salcido gave no indication he would resign from the council.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/teacher-defends-calling-military-members-lowest-of-the-low/

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...t-city-council-condemns-anti-military-teacher

https://townhall.com/news/politics-...ecries-members-antimilitary-comments-n2448922

https://www.facebook.com/AshleighBanfield/videos/10156019887224757/

10. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +11,957
    [​IMG]
    Pico Rivera Councilman Gregory Salcido speaks during the City Council meeting at City Hall in Pico Rivera, Calif. on February 13, 2018.
    (Photo by Raul Romero Jr, Contributing Photographer)

A recall effort is underway, reports CBS Los Angeles.

Salcido is seen on a video scolding a 17-year-old student wearing a U.S. Marine Corps sweatshirt and urging him not to join the military.

"They're not like high-level thinkers, they're not academic people, they're not intellectual people; they're the frickin' lowest of our low," Salcido said on a recording made by a student. "I don't understand why we let the military guys come over here and recruit you at school. We don't let pimps come in the school."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anti-m...-councilman-la-suburb-pico-rivera-California/

https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2...ilman-gregory-salcido-says-hes-not-resigning/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/tag/gregory-salcido/

11. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +11,957
    Student who recorded teacher’s anti-military rant to be honored in San Pedro
    [​IMG]
    Victor Quiñonez

The El Rancho High School senior who captured his teacher’s profanity-laced classroom rant against the military on a secretly recorded video that went viral will be honored Saturday by some grateful vets in San Pedro. Victor Quinonez, who was wearing a Marines sweatshirt in class the day he took the video, now attends the Pico Rivera school accompanied by a chaperone for his own safety, according to his mother, Karen Rodriguez. The teacher, Gregory Salcido who also serves on the Pico Rivera City Council, has been put on paid leave by the district as the incident is investigated. No one expected the six-minute recording to cause such an uproar, Victor’s mother said. “I actually shared it with one of my friends and she posted on Facebook,” she said. “From there it went viral." On Saturday, 17-year-old Quinonez will be presented with a certificate of recognition at a 5 p.m. ceremony hosted by American Legion Post 61 on board the Battleship USS Iowa in San Pedro, where the post is based. The event honoring Victor Quinonez — the oldest of five children — and his family was seen as a way to support the student for taking a risk by making the recording. Victor, whose father is a Marine who served in Afghanistan, hopes to join the Corps when he graduates. Victor also was invited by White House Chief of Staff Gen. John Kelly to visit the White House, Mrs. Rodriguez said. A fundraising page has been set up to help the family pay for the trip. Quinonez' mother said her son “did the right thing” but added that the threats have been disconcerting. She believes Salcido should be fired.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/...nti-military-rant-to-be-honored-in-san-pedro/

• Like Like x 3
  12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,870
    Salcido said he was sorry to anyone his comments may have hurt, but he did not apologize for the remarks themselves, which he said "were definitely out of context." Salcido said he was trying to get his students, most of whom are low-income minorities, not to settle for the Army or Navy. "My goal as it relates to my students is to get them to do everything to get to college," said Salcido, who was shouted down by some angry members of the audience. "I wanted to challenge them to reach their academic potential."

&

"They're not like high-level thinkers, they're not academic people, they're not intellectual people; they're the frickin' lowest of our low," Salcido said on a recording made by a student. "I don't understand why we let the military guys come over here and recruit you at school. We don't let pimps come in the school."
    So, "...they're the lowest of the low", and comparing them to prostitutes (pimps/recruiters=prostitutes/soldiers)...

Sure...out of context.

Translation: he meant prostitutes/whores, in the most respectful way possible, apparently. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clarifying that, teach--I guess us lowly ignoramuses just didn't get your high minded intellectual brilliance...:oops:

TBL: he claims to be a pacifist; I submit he's a passive-aggressivist. :cool:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +418
    Now he’s a pacifist..... he didn’t sound like a pacifist when he smacked one of his students for being “unmotivated”

Of course he still sits on the payroll, showing how difficult it is to fire incompetents from the school board payroll.

Ironically if he were in the military he likely would have served time and been separated.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,959
    It's good that the rest of us are entitled to our First Amendment rights.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +11,957
    If that's your defense of what Salcido said
    It's pretty weak.
    Are you defending him .. supporting what he said ?
    Do you feel his First Amendment Rights should prevent Salcido from being fired and from being recalled ??

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,411
    I'm pretty sure the first amendment doesn't apply to keeping your job no matter what you say at your place of work.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,959
    He said "served time." And the First Amendment can protect you when you work for the government, but I doubt it will in this case.
  18. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,319
    My son had a principal refuse to let Recruiters on campus in uniform. The school had an award winning Air Force ROTC UNIT.

She told a USMC Staff Sgt, "My kids go to College and Your kids go to war"

And this is Louisiana?

He had a college degree and working on his Masters Degree.

It's more common than you think.
  19. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +465
    Are you sure about enlisted nukes needing a four year degree? It wasn't a requirement when I was an enlisted nuke and I don't think it has changed. You just had to smoke the asvab and NFQT.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +418
    Do your first amendment rights entitle you to smack a student not face jail time and still keep your job?
    • Like Like x 1