High hopes for next year's squad...hoping for deja vu all over again.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by FakeRickSutcliffe, Jun 12, 2014.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    I don't think anyone is "counting" on them. However, if they were healthy and ready to contribute, it would mean we might not have to count as much on the freshmen--unless of course they ready to play. The more options you have, the less you play kids by necessity and the more by choice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +586
    All true, dat. We'll be very good with or without them. But we'll be better with them.
  4. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +711
    DG further along than Carter. Yet to be seen how much they will be able to contribute by Nov-Dec.
  5. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    Reading this makes me feel like I'm a nole trying to read a children's book... :D
  6. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    Let's be honest here for a minute! How many on here would've bet a hundred Fla. would finish 36-3, go undefeated in the SEC & SEC Tourney at this time last season?? ZERO, including myself!
    Next yrs team will be more athletic IMO, maybe more all around talent & athleticism & size for sure, maybe faster. It will all boil down to chemistry which I think will happen when Jan 15 rolls around. Very tough OOC schedule plus a much stronger SEC next year = a few more losses. But-it could be another good strong season as well.
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    I think we will do well, but Kentucky will be much better during the regular season than they were last year, our team defense likely will be worse than it was last year, and we could have big drop offs at point guard and center.
  8. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +586
    There won't be a big drop off at the point, at least not on the offensive end. Did you see what Hill did to Pitt and UCLA? He's just scratching the surface of what he can do.
  9. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Last year's team was filled with known quantities who exceeded most expectations. Next year's squad is filled with greater potential IMO, but they'll need to find that defensive toughness and chemistry that we're losing with the graduating seniors before they can have success.
  10. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Kasey Hill will be a lottery pick next year. The PG play next season is going to be phenomenal, assuming Hill isn't hurt for any significant portion of the season. Also, I'm assuming you're putting Walker at forward and not center with that comment, because that's another lottery pick in the front court (to go with this year's SEC 6th Man of the Year)

The experience factor will be a big drop off, but not the talent. We know Hill and Walker have the chemistry from years of AAU together. My boy Frazier is upping his game this summer too. He's going to be something else next season, just watch!
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    I hope I am wrong, but I see a drop off at the point on offense, especially in late game situations. There was a reason that Scottie was SEC Player of the Year (unanimously, I believe). There were quite a few close games that we won because Scottie took the game over on the offensive end at the end of the game. This was something we were missing in our 1st 2 Elite 8 runs, even with my beloved Erving Walker at the point. Kasey Hill is going to have to make a big improvement on the offensive end to take over close games in the final minutes, or someone else is going to have to step up to take that role.
  12. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    You might be right, but if so, it is because he learns how to play defense with his feet, not his hands, he learns how to shoot, and he learns how to be less careless with the ball. That's a lot to learn, even for a kid as talented as Kasey. I also am interested in how Chris Chiozza does in his freshman year. Imo, he is a more fundamentally sound point guard coming out of high school than was Kasey a year ago.
  13. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    We don't really have a true center unless the USF kid is allowed to play this season. Horford IMO is a PF. Billy started the season off saying last years squad D sucked, but they turned out pretty good. Billy teaches D. We'll be fine. And Kasey can score - don't kid yourself. People said the same thing about Scottie his Soph & Jr seasons. I've seen Kasey blister a ton of very talented Elite Travel Teams in the past. Once he's in command of the offense, he can be a scoring machine when needed. He needs to brush up on his D though! Also TO prone, but hope Billy cures that issue!
    KY will be a monster this season. Cal has figured out you need more than fresh phenom 5 stars to bring home the bacon!! SEC will be tough this season IMO!
  14. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +586
    Note that I chose my words carefully. I didn't there wouldn't be a dropoff. I said there wouldn't be a BIG dropoff. Kasey showed flashes of brilliance all season, and started to put it all together in March. But Scottie was one of the best point guards we've ever had. Maybe THE best.
  15. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Actually, when you are rearranging the letter order of words, it is very important to leave the first and last in place, otherwise it is somewhat difficult to understand. Thus, you feel Osiris's post was difficult to read because he didn't do that for several words. The construct of "correct spelling" is certainly one of the most idiotic ideas anyone every came up with.
  16. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    No one was that excited or expecting much out of Noah and company either. Noah was an erratic turnover machine his freshmen year. Brewer was extremely rough offensively. That's what makes excitement about next year not so un reasonable. Sure the way the 04's improved was a rarity but last years team combined with billys track record at least justifies some high hopes for next year
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    Horford and Walker are fine at the five spot. Both are bigger and longer than some of the fives we've had in the past. The great thing about our scheme on both ends of the court, though, is that we don't really need a true, back to the basket center or an elite rim protector. As long as they are smart, have good hands and feet, and at least have modestly sufficient size, they can be effective.

On Hill, it seems every year we forget how unbelievably difficult it is for incoming freshmen to pick up Donovan's offense and meet the demands of the point guard spot. Guys like Nelson and Green struggled massively as a freshmen, while others like Dupay, Roberson, and Walker all started out at the two, not the one. Calathes is the only freshman point guard to start for Donovan during his entire tenure at Florida, and should come as no coincidence that he is probably the most college ready player Donovan has ever recruited.

Yes, Hill has some weaknesses, but for whatever reason those have been exaggerated into mortal flaws. Sure, the kid shot terribly last year, but he also didn't shoot often and almost never shot on the ball (where he actually has a nice stroke) or from his best spots on the floor. All of his attempts came in spot up situations. How many times in his prep career was Hill playing off the ball and spotting up for threes? Pretty few, I suspect. It doesn't help when you have several multiple week absences due to lower leg issues.

As far as his issue with fouls, nearly all of those came in press situations. Same with Devon Walker. Heck, the same with Frazier. That tends to happen when you aren't accustomed to playing that style of ball. Yet more experienced kids like Wilbekin or Prather avoided those fouls far more often.

Turnovers were an issue, but focus-related or conditioning-related, not some physical flaw like bad hands or bad feet or a lack of quickness or ball skills, etc.

Whatever the case, I expect a drastically transformed Hill. He will be far stronger, more explosive, and better conditioned with a full off-season under Greene. He will tighten up on the weak spots of last year, and while not making them strengths I doubt they will be as pronounced. On the other hand, the strengths from a year ago will get featured even more. Hill is phenomenal pushing the tempo in the open court or in early offense. He has a nice little pull up jumper from 12-15 feet that will only get better. He has a sick finger roll and runner in the lane. He is as good at running the pick and roll as J-Will or Calathes, and without question makes better pocket passes off that action than anyone I recall at Florida. Plus, he has very active hands on defense--part of the reason for foul trouble, but also the cause for a ton of disruption at that end of the court.

Not sure about him being a lottery pick (though I hope so, because he will turn 21 this school year and I sincerely want him to capitalize on his skills as soon as possible), but he will be very good this season. Dropoff from Wilbekin? Of course. But still very, very good.
  18. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    Has Kasey been working with Dupay on his 3 point shot, as reported earlier?
  19. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Not at this point. The players are returning for summer B next week. They will be scrimmaging and doing individual work every day, and Teddy will be up there working with them some at that point. Frazier worked out with him all of summer A and he's in great shape. Really attacking the basket hard and hitting his shots. He'll always be a shooter, but will be more aggressive this season.
  20. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Or, it separates uneducated, careless idiots from their more intelligent, conscientious peers. Guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one.