High hopes for next year's squad...hoping for deja vu all over again.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by FakeRickSutcliffe, Jun 12, 2014.

1. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Tried not to be a homer but couldn't help having the highest expectations for the team last year, and was bitterly disappointed by the finish. Obviously the core of that team had been together for awhile and I really wanted to see them reach the mountaintop. We don't really know what to expect from next year's team. But on the bright side...think about what happened the last time we were in sort of a similar position.

Remember a team led by a core of longtime starters named David Lee, Anthony Roberson and Matt Walsh? They seemed to have plenty of talent but left school with dreams unfulfilled. I thought the next season after their departure would be for rebuilding. But I was wrong. Gloriously, spectacularly wrong.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying we should expect this team of relatively unproven youngsters to rocket right back to the Final Four.

But I'm also not saying we shouldn't.

[​IMG]

You feel me, Gators?
  2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    I think we definitely have a good chance of getting to the Final Four again.
  3. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Next year will not be like 2006 for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is simply that there will be so many new players who have played so very little under coach Donovan on the team, recall that the 2006 team really had only one contributing freshman.

The 2014 team will have several important people (almost the entire interior with limited Gator time: Horford, 6 months, Murphy and Walker, 1 year.

Further, there is no Noah, or Horford, or Brewer on this coming squad, and they, along with the Juniors Humphries and Richards off the bench carried that 2006 team. Hill is not Green either. He can't shoot at all. If Carter recovers, we will perhaps see some scoring from someone who plays a bit of PG, but don't expect much scoring from either Hill or Chiozo.

So, I don't really want to throw water on your expectations, but I think we can expect roughly the same result as 2006, where the Gators finished 2nd in the SEC East to Tennessee and lost both games to the Vols.
  4. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Geez. Okay, never mind then. :(
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +714
    I'm getting the impression that he's messing with you
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Not one, not two, but three Gator player names past and present were butchered in this post
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Not only did I flunk Spelling, ALWAYS, but it is not really important, as the following passage shows quite clearly:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

It was Webster's idiotic dictionary, and the Critical nature of Idiotic English Teachers, who were using an idiotic spelling and Latin Grammar, which doesn't fit English well at all, to force their false beliefs onto their students.

Forcing false beliefs is common.

Not sure I'm messing with him, and I really think that despite the limitations, this upcoming year's team could be very, very good, and could certainly be able to contend for the National Championship. But, it will likely differ quite a bit from the 2006 squad for the reasons I mentioned.
  8. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +714
    Oh, the ol jumbled spelling parlor trick! Works with short common words, totally falls apart when more content words are used. Here's the debunking statement:

Tihs "Cdirmbgae Eefcft" is srot of ture, but it deos not tlel the wlohe sorty. It is rieealtvly esay to raed sroht wrods, but not so esay wehn ridaneg legonr wdros. Aals, msot cetonnt wdros in Esinglh are sveen leertts lnog or leognr -- the mroe leretts terhe are in a wrod, the mroe dulcifift and caipcetmold it bmeecos to cletrorcy infietdy them wehn the ltrtees are ragnearerd. Warhees, more diiivutnme and cmoomn wrdos lkie "blal" and "baer" raimen mltsoy ungnchead and esay to rizocenge, lgneor, less cmoomn wdros, like "pltlooiun" and "soulamitunes" caghne saillbattunsy to the pniot werhe rnciooitegn is srclceay pbsslioe. Fmrrhtrouee, this atiibly smtes form a garet deal of enpicerexe rindaeg cretolcry slelepd wdros -- olny plopee who can adrealy raed pelictroinfy can do this tsak. Tihs tirck does not reeavl mcuh aoubt the pscroes of lnnreaig to raed -- it only ietaindcs that hhligy slielkd rrdeaes are so pectacred wtih txet tehy can omoercve moinr informieepcts (epshaims on the word "moinr") in the pnirt to aesccs mnnaeig.

Oh, and by the way, terhe nveer was any phuilbesd rcsaeerh of tihs srot ccountded at Cridbagme or any oehtr usrivetniy. Taht prat is ceepomlty urutne.

Translation

This "Cambridge Effect" is sort of true, but it does not tell the whole story. It is relatively easy to read short words, but not so easy when reading longer words. Alas, most content words in English are seven letters long or longer -- the more letters there are in a word, the more difficult and complicated it becomes to correctly identify them when the letters are rearranged. Whereas, more diminutive and common words like "ball" and "bear" remain mostly unchanged and easy to recognize, longer, less common words, like "pollution" and "simultaneous" change substantially to the point where recognition is scarcely possible. Furthermore, this ability stems from a great deal of experience reading correctly spelled words -- only people who can already read proficiently can do this task. This trick does not reveal much about the process of learning to read -- it only indicates that highly skilled readers are so practiced with text they can overcome minor imperfections (emphasis on the word "minor") in the print to access meaning.

Oh, and by the way, there never was any published research of this sort conducted at Cambridge or any other university. That part is completely untrue.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Yes, it will likely differ quite a bit from the 2006 squad, as you said, because none of the players you mentioned are on the team anymore, which is akin to stating that water is wet, the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ( ;) ), etc.

Also, spelling is important. Especially names. It makes it more apparent whether the author knows what they are talking about or not. Just because the human brain can comprehend that paragraph doesn't mean that spelling is meaningless, or that writing that way is acceptable in any way other than the way you have illustrated. Let me try that with the next court filing I'm working on and I'll get back to you with the results...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    Chris Chorizo?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    Spelling is unimportant to people that lack the part of the brain that lets them spell correctly. Like philosophy majors.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    Hmm, nothing quite like a point guard's sausage...uh, that came out wrong...er...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    It is so hard to predicate expectations on past teams because the variables are so insanely different. There are some basic circumstances that this team will share in common with other past squads, though. I would say that 1999-2000, 2005-06, and 2010-11 all lost substantial upperclass contributors and replaced them with some very talented, but rather inexperienced underclass starters. The results were pretty uneven at times during the regular season as they learned to play together and figured out their competition, then really took off late in the year/postseason.

That's sort of where I stand on next year. The league should be somewhat better, and of course our non-conference slate looks to be challenging again, so I don't expect a league title or a very high ranking (like top five) during the course of the season. But once things come together, I am pretty optimistic about our late season/potseason prospects.

Lots of big questions need to get resolved before we reach that point, though. Those questions to me include: 1) When will Murphy be eligible?; 2) which freshmen will be ready to contribute and how much can we expect from them?; 3) how healthy will Carter and Graham be, and what can we expect from them if they are healthy?; and 4) what sort of a sophomore bump might we see from Hill and C. Walk--and I would add D. Walk to the mix as well, since his freshman season was fairly truncated? The only real certain things I think we have heading into next year is Frazier's shooting, DFS's versatility, and Horford's defense/rebounding.
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,933
    Personal foul
  15. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Did you mean a point guard's taco? Umm, no wait a minute......
  16. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    It's not just spelling. You pluralized Humphrey and Richard. Is that the way you speak those names too? We'll give you a pass on Chiozza.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,854
    I didn't realize Nat Moores was a statistician.
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,455
    Some of you need to give Themistolese a brake. It's a parent that we can not gage next years succes useing any kind of fair judgement. Besides, who cares if a p0ster has a pension for mispelling a few names? Rediculous.

On point: there's no doubt that next year could be very exciting with the kind of returning dynamic talent and an influx of p0tential impact players. This is, however, a transition year. Could be high peaks and moderately low valleys (lose a couple games we have no business losing). I don't tend to operate with expectations, but I do have hopes. Next season's hopes are to be tempered as far as I am concerned.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    I have to agree with those who point out that this is going to be an uneven year with an increasing trajectory of improvement. As always, a lot of the fun will come from watching the team develop under BillyD. I think we end strong, but rather than comparing to teams of the past, I look at this team in contrast to the team that Ky will be putting together.
  20. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    I think if we are counting on these 2 guys for next year than we are in trouble. I expect us to be very good, even if we don't get anything from Carter or Graham...
    • Agree Agree x 1