Hey WES...(AU & UF)..

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by jhfxof, May 23, 2013.

1. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I was pretty certain it would have taken a lot for AU to make it, but I am shocked that UF did. Felt like AU deserved it more than UF at this late stage of the season. They were playing better.
  2. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    SOS was the only real advantage UF had over AU. And it wasnt like AU SOS was 150 or something, it was 30-31.

In fact if you look inside that # (way to much work for committee)

UF opp. avg RPI was 60. AU opp. avg RPI was 90. In RPI regards those type teams are very similar, & grouped together as far as record against (51-100)

3 SEC bubble teams. 2 got in, the 1 that didnt was 4-2 vs 2 that did,,ALL on road,,also won more SEC series than other 2.... If that wasnt enough to at least get in along w/ other 2, then I obviously dont understand the selection process..lol Oh & TAMU getting 2 seed??? what evs.

I have just as much or more issue w/ teams getting in like.. San Fran, Bill & Mary, Sam Houston, Coastal,, even Okie St.

Oh well, Im done whining about it. Getting new HC out of it, which is probably best for the future. Sneaking in, winning a game or 2, then back to 1 post season ever 5 years was probably worst case scenario. Always want the chance though,, Just ask FSU west.
  3. kansascitygator

kansascitygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I can see why Auburn fans would take issue over the tigers not getting a bid. I didn't think Florida would get a bid with such a poor finish, but it's there now for them to make a good run. It's time to regroup over the 10 days and make some noise.
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,087
    Well, you know I didn't expect for FLORIDA to get in, but my thought is this. Any bubble team (inside or out) has something that they can point to that they could have done better to have gotten in (or been in more convincingly).

I'm not saying Auburn shouldn't have gotten in over FLORIDA (I didn't think either *should* have gotten in), but there's at least something there in terms of schedule strength and results against top competition:

FLORIDA 10 wins vs. top 20 rpi teams
    Auburn 3 wins vs. top 20 rpi teams

FLORIDA OOC weekend sets: Duke (74), FGCU (78), Miami (19), and Indiana (12)
    Auburn OOC weekend sets: Maine (142), Eastern Illinois (117), Brown (286)...they played zero weekend OOC opponents with an rpi better than 90.

FLORIDA midweek rpi games: 140, 146, 223, 223, 8, 64, 8, 140, 8, 78, 73, 279, 26
    Auburn midweek rpi games: 163, 135, 25, 135, 247, 105, 41, 246, 247, 191, 123, 191, 123

Yes, Auburn won two out of 3 against FLORIDA, but FLORIDA also finished a game better against common opponents (7-11 vs. 6-12).

Auburn took 2 out of 3 from Arkansas, but FLORIDA took 3 out of 3 from South Carolina.

I thought the stretch run would hurt us, but they didn't seem to factor that in at all.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  5. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I dont argue that UF had better schedule, just think the difference was marginal in the grand scheme of thing. I honestly dont think AU sweats finishing .500 vs UFs sched,,but I could be wrong. And to be honest, UF prob, finishes around 10-13 over vs AU sched.

Should also be noted UF didnt play 3 SEC # 2 seeds(Ark,bama,A&M) AU didnt play SC,, UK, UT. 2 of bottom 3

Kinda like last year, I can find 5 or 6 different individual things that kept AU out. In fact going back through CJPs career at AU, there are a total of about 6-7 games in his 5 years that was difference between 1 regional & 4 or 5.

I do find it fitting that the Sat night 9th inning at the Mac sealed his fate. One of his bigger WTH are you doing moments. Or in that case WTH are you NOT doing.