Hey WES...(AU & UF)..

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by jhfxof, May 23, 2013.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Remember that scenario I gave you b4 Au-UF game??

..think it was,, if AU wins series(& following vs Ark) ,, UF stays eligible, it comes down to UF or AU for final SEC bid. Id love to see what committee does.

..well.. lol.. here we go.

I obviously dont think its even close, but the "experts", still today, seem to disagree. Heck at the time I said that, I was even giving you a Uga series win, even a sweep.

I have to hope they dont put much into that silly mid-week game on Tuesday.
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    I'm not familiar with what's going on around the country regarding other bubble teams and favorites winning their conference's auto bids, but I expect FLORIDA to miss the tournament on account of their stretch run (rpi now down to 29 on Boyd's World). Auburn at 35 now and A&M up to 39 (with two more games to play). I would expect FLORIDA, Auburn, and Alabama to miss the field with A&M having a decent shot to make it. SEC getting 7 teams in this year.

FLORIDA won 6 midweek OOC games in a row to end the year! But I don't think that will be good enough. I've been wrong before, and I certainly hope to be wrong again. I just don't see it. In terms of likelihood, give me A&M #1, Alabama #2...and then a gap...and then FLORIDA #3, Auburn #4 (only because FLORIDA seems to get the benefit of the doubt more so than Auburn in recent years).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  3. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    I think A & M knocks Florida out, especially after beating Vandy last night. Can't go 2-9 down the stretch and expect to get in. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    On second thought, I'd put Alabama on the inside of the bubble making a neat and easy 8 teams from the SEC (Auburn & FLORIDA missing out).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  5. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    SEC getting 7 teams in this year.

Wager?? lol No way only 7, although if AU left out, thats all that should go.

you got 3 teams from same conf. on the bubble. All 3 have very similar, but different resumes. One team is 4-2 combined head 2 head, and won series vs other 2, all on road.

Sounds pretty simple to me.. Its not,,but should be.

Bama is a lock. The entire West should get in IMO. BTW is the East going to win a game in Hoover?? lol
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bleedorangeblue

bleedorangeblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    At this point, I don't really see any benefit in us getting in. We would be a 3 or 4 seed, having to go to a top tier ACC school's regional. Our confidence after the last 3 weeks has to be shot. I love what this young team was able to accomplish this year, but it is not a championship caliber team yet. For those that say the experience of a NCAA tournament would be beneficial, I would counter that we already play in the best conference in the nation and have already reaped the benefits from our schedule. Plus, my money is on the SEC to win it all.
  7. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    http://sebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1508557

Latest projections(late last night) All 3 SEC bubble teams in. All 3 on last 5

Right now the experts seem to think A&M needs another win to jump ahead of UF/AU.

TAMU AD (Hyman, I think is his name) on selection committee BTW

Unless they win it their RPI will drop back down a bit. AU & UF RPI should just go up throughout the week, w/ losses around the country.
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    heck, they can ship us out to corvallis this year and i'd be happy as heck!

you're right jhf, all the sec west teams, imo, should be 'in'.

UF is very iffy. before the AU series, i had us 'in' w/out an issue. real strong metrics. now, we're on the outside, imo.
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Maybe there is the baseball equivalent of the nit. We will send a postcard from the dance!
  11. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    John Pawlowski out as Auburn head coach. One regional appearance in 5 years.
  12. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Only question after the NCAA snub, was today or tomorrow. Shoulda been gone last year IMO.

Terry Rooney(UCF) would be atop MY list of replacements.
  13. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    What about the Samford coach? Isn't he an Auburn alum?
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    Yes, and that is who I would look at....along with Cliff Godwin at Ole Miss (great recruiter).
    Not sure Rooney is that high on many lists right now.
  15. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    yep Casey Dunn was former catcher at AU,,, the reason David Ross transfered to UF actually.

He'll get mentioned, but IMO needs to win something at Samford first. It would be the 'lazy hire', but at this point thats not to far fetched for Jacobs.
  16. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    He hasn't done much at UCF, what makes you think he can survive in the brutal SEC?
  17. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Dont overly care what hes done at UCF,, but he had couple nice teams couple years ago I think.

He has SEC background w/ LSU,, and was w/ CPM at ND. He was probably a better/sexier hire last year than this year, I will admit. Now has Florida recruiting ties as well. Always a plus.

More importantly hes obtainable. (Not getting into disadvantages of the AU job w/in the SEC) What once was a top notch SEC program under Baird/Renfro, has now become extremely difficult place to win in SEC west. It all started w/ the undeserved firing of Steve Renfro, and hiring that Clown Tom Slater. So 90% of it is AUs own doings.

If AU decides to go asst coach route,, just pick one from a hat. Definately a crap shoot there. Ill nominate former HS teammate Karl Kuhn, pitching coach at UVa.
  18. Marshall

Marshall Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    It would seem that even without Bobby Lowder and his former millions, there is an athletic department there that can't seem to get things done right.
  19. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Lowder hasnt had any non-finacial input in quite some time, contrary to popular belief. His millions however, are still hanging around..lol

Sad thing is Jay Jacobs(AD) just got an endorsement/2nd chance, whatever you wanta call it, from the Prez./BOT Since then hes fired softball & baseball coach w/in 24 hours of season being officially over. Barbee will be done too if dont make ncaa's next year. At least hes 'cleaning house', but I think its become more of a them or you ultimatum.
  20. jhfxof

jhfxof Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    There is one 'big name' coach out there AU could probably throw big $$ at & get. Hes had NCAA issues(who cares at this point), & a pretty controversial guy in general. Almost got in fight w/ AU players dad when they played in Auburn few years ago.

Love his style & always been one of my favorite college coaches..

Pat Murphy... AU/JJ will never hire him though. I guarantee he'd have people talking about AU baseball, one way or another..lol