Hernandez: "GOD Put Me In This Situation For A Reason"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Jaggator, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,788

Dude. It is a phenomenon of recent vintage. :ninja: :laugh:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    In many respects atheists are more fundamentalist than most people of faith. I think the average atheist has likely not spent much time in studying and trying to understand what he or she disparages off the cuff, finding it easier on their intellect to regurgitate points that seemingly reinforce their reasons for not having faith.
  3. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +726
    To be an atheist requires faith.

Faith that there was No Cause to the Effect (Universe).

Faith in knowing that this is all that there is.

Faith in knowing that you know most.

Faith (and hope) that you are right, as in 100% faith, not 99%.

Faith in trusting that if there is a life after death and it wont matter what you believe.
  4. altalias

altalias Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +262
    Most people believe in the big bang. Yes, there are still a few steady state contrarians but that requires believing in eternal time (no begining). I can't get my head around that one but the vast majority of scientist believe in the big bang. So there was nothing not even empty space and for no reason a single point with occupied no space exploded into everything. It is considered wise to believe that this happened without cause for no reason. It just did. To me that takes a lot more faith. It does not in any way prove any God or gods or any particular faith but for no reason? It boggles my mind that no reason is the acceptable faith.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Nah,
    I see it more as faith in not knowing, or not pretending to know.
  6. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +456
    I agree with this. Just amuses me when they get loud about it. What exactly are they "saving" anyone from? If they are right none of it matters anyway. To argue against religion would seem to be insignificant and a waste of time for them.
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Care to explain the last one? People become worm food when they die. They don't teleport to some invisible place where every person, ever, who was deemed worthy resides forever and ever and ever. What kind of f'ed up god would sentence someone to hell forever and ever and ever for what they did in such a minuscule time in earth. He won't personally tell you "hey, I exist" Nope. He would rather play some kind of twisted game and demand praise for it.

If a modern day person said "hey, my name is Juan and I am God," people would think he was nuts.

But for some reason people believe a bunch of ancient goat herders that didn't have the knowledge we have today.
  8. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    You're a strange one, VGF. You claim you don't believe in God or any sort of conscious eternal existence, then sarcastically blame a "f'ed up god" for sadistic games. If it means so little to you, why bother?
  9. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    That was the case "if" there was a god.

But seriously, if there was god, isn't eternal torture a little much?
  10. FearNoSpear

Ratings Received:
    +456
    If you are asking a believer this they would say "That's not up to me."

If you are asking a non believer this they would say "What the hell do I care and why do you?"

Which in turn was Lacuna's question. Why do you care? Why bother?

As far as eternal torture goes it depends on the religion. It also depends on the Christian you ask. Some don't believe in hell. Some believe that those that never had a chance at salvation are spared by default. Some think every single person who doesn't believe no matter the reason is sent to hell. None of which effects you according to your belief system. So if I were you I honestly wouldn't give damn. Being that I am a Christian I will pray for your eternal salvation tonight. I'm one of those who believe you will face eternal torture. Not that it should matter to you though.
  11. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    Yes, I think so.

Your approach to the Bible is fundamentalist and limited in scope. It seems as though you're focusing in on the worst and condemning faith because you think the Bible is a flawed book written by a superstitious primitive group of writers.

Is your rejection of God due wholly, or in part, to the Bible? Do you think it possible for [an] Ultimate Source, (First Cause) to exist apart from what the Bible claims about such Source? And if so, do you think it possible a primitive, superstitious people might have written about such Source in terms that had contextual relevance for their lives and society? Could you accept the Bible they produced as metaphor for their circumstances? Can you envision moral lessons, it perhaps only metaphorically imparts, as having relevance for your own life?
  12. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Yes. The miracles and outlandish claims are just too much. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Believers in a diety don't bother me that much, just the ones that think every single thing in the bible actually happened. The ones that "know" without a doubt, for certain there is a deity or deities. And when you ask for proof.. They say it's in the bible.

Some people claim it's metaphors. Most of the time, metaphors don't go into great detail. But when you start talking about how many cubits in size and how long it rained, how many animals etc, you kind of stray away from metaphors.
  13. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    Aaron Hernandez
    Jail Letter #2
    I'm Going Nuts Without Internet LOL

[​IMG]

"Aaron Hernandez is jonesin' for the Internet ... according to a new letter he wrote to a fan.

TMZ has obtained a second letter Hernandez recently wrote behind bars, thanking a fan for a Facebook support page she started ... a page he can't read because jail is an Internet-free zone.

He wrote, "Thanks for the site and sry [sic] I can't check site [sic] there is no internet in jail lol."

Correct ... Hernandez wrote out the word "lol" in pen.

Also, FYI, Hernandez is now aware that his jail letters are making headlines. We spoke to the sheriff at the jail who tells us, Hernandez has been warned to be careful with his letters because TMZ keeps publishing them.

Oops."

READ LETTER...
    http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/04/aaron-hernandez-letter-internet-jail/
  14. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    unless of course, the person happens to be a POTUS, or someone of a different political party, religion, point of view.

but such is the nature of court of public opinion(or message board opinion)
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    :huh:

That is quite a big/broad brush you paint with.
  16. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Yeah, that was a pretty d... thing to say. I've thought about things, and I'm sorry about how I came off and if I offended anyone
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Been there, done that too.
  18. FearNoSpear

Ratings Received:
    +456
    We all have man. Don't sweat it. If anyone was offended you made up for it. Classy post.
  19. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    Strange how god gets so much blame for things that are self inflicted. So many people ask how could God let this or that happen. Thing is, people push God out of their life, their schools, their Government and then have the gall or is it stupidity to ask how he could let this happen.
  20. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,783
    just somebody else who claims that he knows what God wants ... when it's convenient, of course.