Hernandez case was a matter of time

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Jul 2, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343 / 24 / -8
    I don't agree with everything written in this piece, but the overall point is dead on.

From the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...gang-drug-culture-pervasive-in-society-070113

Like nearly everything else in this society, athlete culture has been hijacked by mass incarceration and the pervasive gangster culture it has produced. Mindless rebellion is not a part of sports culture. Sports culture is steeped in patriotism and the ideals and values we claim make this the greatest country in the world. It’s not by accident the national anthem is played before every sporting event.

Rappers and musicians are rebels. They look normal in prison tattoos and white Ts.

We can no longer distinguish bad from good. We no longer even aspire to be good; it has considerably less value. That’s what Aaron Hernandez represents, to me. Popular culture has so eroded the symbolic core principles at the root of America’s love affair with sports that many modern athletes believe their allegiance to gangster culture takes precedence over their allegiance to the sports culture that made them rich and famous.

Aaron Hernandez wanted to be Christopher Moltisanti more than he wanted to be Kellen Winslow. Sounds crazy until you look around and see there are 1,000 times more aspiring Kim Kardashians than Hillary Clintons.
  2. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +235 / 35 / -12
    The media is implicit in promoting this culture.
  3. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343 / 24 / -8
    I remember going to a minor league game in nearby Trenton recently. Right after they played the national anthem, they played "Centerfold" by the J Geils Band. Quite telling really.
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816 / 15 / -7
    80s music is promoting a gangster culture in athletics? :wink:
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,851 / 66 / -30
    Okay....
  6. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +434 / 23 / -9
    If people think Walter White is a hero, they must have stopped watching after the first season.
  7. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    it's the glorification of thug behavior in music, on TV, movies, sports commentary combined with the attitude that is hyped using a quote attributed to Lombardi "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing". Thing is, that quote as over time taken precedence over another sports quote "it's not that you won or lost but how you played the game".

In other words ---winning by any means including cheating is now the norm in America and has strayed from values being of greater importance than winning. Sadly, such has not been limited to sports. In recent years that same erosion of values has occurred in legal system, politics, business, etc, etc.

legal system--America's legal system of relying on adversarial arguments to arrive at the truth has shifted to adversarial arguments meant to win at any cost and the truth be damned. The adversarial system meant to arrive at the truth is well displayed in the 1950's TV series 'Perry Mason'. At end of an episode after Mason had once again won a case over Hamilton Burger a character asked Hamilton Burger how he felt about losing. Burger said it isn't about winning or losing but that the important thing is justice. A far cry from conduct in legal system today.

Politics----obvious we can all see how it has filtered into the politics of America

Business---We all have seen it do its dirtiest in recent years in American business

Hey.... a Fox article I agree with---shocker
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746 / 44 / -12
    I don't know if a bit of that is true.
  9. baygator1

baygator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,592 / 2 / -0
    And then feigning shock when life imitates 'life'. Losers.
  10. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    "I don't know if a bit of that is true."

I've seen the attitudes spread through America both within sports and beyond sports.
  11. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746 / 44 / -12
    I don't know. first of all you appear to use Perry Mason as an example of how the legal system used to and should work. It never worked that way - with the defense attorney getting his client off by making the real culprit confess on the witness stand.

And there's always been cheaters. In sports, in politics, in business.
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +842 / 71 / -10
    The thing about Jason Whitlock is that he's a terrible sports columnist. I mean, so many hackneyed premises there I don't know where to start.
  13. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +842 / 71 / -10
    Seriously. It's like, aw, he has cancer and just wants to provide for his kids. Then they stoppped watching, and assume he quit while he was ahead and became a loving family man again.
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393 / 13 / -19
    Who is Walter White? Not that I care. I'll bet he's something out of popular culture. (NTTAWWT. Ha ha ha ha ha.)
  15. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303 / 14 / -3

you sure that wasn't Fogarty's "Centerfield?"
  16. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +494 / 29 / -8
    Perhaps, but the post read rather compellingly, and the point about Perry Mason, while not steeped in truth, does address a different point--and that's what the show (Perry Mason) stood for, or represented. No it never happen that way in reality; most everyone got that--even me, in my tender years, watching it--what it represented, was the ideal of justice--through the law--against the often over-zealous government authorites, represented by DA Burger.

These same values are reflected in the constitution--and upon which it was formulated.

It also served to idealize professionalism, rather than skank behavior. The police, the PI, the secretary... everyone on the show, even the defendants, dressed to the nines in the ordinary course of business, spoke elequently, appeared educated....

Contrast that, with your standard show today--especially the reality variety, that proudly parades the lowest common denominator of our society, as the norm--in fact, glorifying it, as something worthy of immitation.

Props to Old...good post. Rep.
  17. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    hmmmm....what the heck is going on..... a lib(me) defending a Fox article that asserts there is social erosion of values......against cons who are arguing against Fox article, while at the same time defending/minimizing unethical practices in sports...

folks----has heck frozen over, is the Apocalypse upon us, etc.
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +842 / 71 / -10
    He's the main character on a show called "Breaking Bad." Its a really good show.
  19. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303 / 14 / -3
    why do people conclude that everything with the "Fox" logo falls under whatever the practices are at Fox News?

Whitlock is no conservative. He has been vilified by the liberals and the black community for airing black americas dirty laundry (ie Bill Cosby).
  20. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +842 / 71 / -10
    Probably the same reason why people attribute something an individual columnist wrote as the monolithic position of the NYT or the WSJ, or the MSM.