Heritage Foundation article regarding children born out of wedlock and child poverty

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Jul 23, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    rarely do I value stuff coming from Heritage due to their bias. However. The following article does address the issue of children being raised in poverty being closely associated with being born out of wedlock.

The article is long with many charts so I leave just the link. Of note is one chart that shows the increase among blacks, Hispanics, and whites to have the following
    --higher number of black children being born out of wedlock and being raised in poverty
    --followed by Hispanic community
    --followed by white community
    --but that the shape of the curve of incidence over time is pretty much the same for all three groups(see graph to see what I'm trying to say)

One thing that is not addressed in the article is that the incidence of children being raised in poverty(on a per capita basis) is actually higher in rural America than urban areas.

I do agree with the premise that children do tend to do better in terms of environment in which to be raised in America if raised by a married couple rather than by a single parent. Married couples tend to be better off in terms of finances, education, etc AS WELL AS parental time with the child(which is critical). The article does not bring into discussion the matter of gay or lesbian couples raising children. So perhaps we should have a separate thread about that.

The key questions in all this are
    ---What are the factors that are leading to fewer and fewer people getting married before having children?
    ---what measures, if any, should America take to reverse the trend?

http://www.heritage.org/research/re...mericas-greatest-weapon-against-child-poverty
  2. ga8orman1

ga8orman1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I linked to this same article in my post on the Bill O'Reilly thread. Some of these graphs are quite telling.

There is really no excuse for the education part given the access to information these days. The out of wedlock births and decline of marriage is the issue.
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,889
    Well, looking at this graph, I'd say women's lib played a reasonable part. Not that it takes this graph to know that:

[​IMG]
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,452
    Some really depressing figures in there. I think it's the single biggest issue facing this country.
    Interestingly, I've read that in Sweden, the marriage rate has also dropped dramatically, but the couples are staying together. They're just not married.
  5. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,452
    don't know about that. I think that most of those women, at the least the poor and uneducated ones, have never heard of women's lib.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    Yeah, I was in Iceland recently and read that the majority of children there are born out of wedlock too. People are "together" but not married as much.
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    Yeah, this was/is the class of women that were in the workforce long before "bra burning" or "women's lib" was a thing.
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    factors that have played a part(IMO) in decreasing the proportion of marriages in America.
    1. Like a previous poster mentioned--- Women's lib. that certainly is likely a factor that has been present for decades now and increasing as women believe they are capable of competing in the job market, etc.
    2. Increasing attitude by many young adults(male as well as female) that marriage gets in the way of their(the adult's) freedom, 'style', career goals, having fun, etc.
    3. increasing focus of instant satisfaction today at the cost of their own as well as society's future.
    4. possibly---people are getting less and less skilled at communicating one on one in person. This related to increase use of phones, computers, etc. How often do you see a person ignore a friend who is with him just to talk with someone over the phone about something that can certainly wait til the person to person meeting is over.
    5. Me, me, me attitudes that seem to be on the rise. Marriage is about 'we'.
    6. decreasing tolerance of others. Marriage does involve each person giving up some things in order to have the marriage develop. There is increasing tendency among many people to day to not make personal sacrifices for the sake of others(be it spouse, children, community, etc). they fail to consider the incredibly good life experiences that come about in life as a result of partnership(be it in marriage, community, etc). And one of the incredibly good life experiences is to together raise a child(children).
    7. less and less social benefit from being married. One of the criteria over history in judging a person's success is how good a family man(or woman) happens to be. In urban areas success is often measured by how many women a guy can knock up without having to get married.

There are likely a multitude of other factors as well. But much of the problem appears to be 'me-ism' as well as peoples priorities which appear to be more and more self centered for short term gains.
  9. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    might want to consider the cultural differences between countries in which children are born out of wedlock but both parents live together, raise children together, and are basically married in everything but name. And the apparent lack of that type of relationship in America(living together for long term, raising children, but not married).

A way I approach this topic is what attitudes, issues, actions, etc are on the rise in America that could impact whether or not people get married(or even live together for long term , raising children, and married in every way but name).

There are certainly examples of single parents raising one or more children and doing it well. But the odds just aren't in the child's favor.
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    I think focusing on "marriage" alone isnt all that useful. Not that I think marriage is a bad thing, but I'd focus more on are two parents actively in the life of the child, socially & financially. That situation, in any form, is way better than a shi$ty, dysfunctional marriage, which I think is part of the reason more marriages end or dont happen in the first place. There's no reason to stay in (or get into) a bad marriage, taboo wise or financially. Women can support themselves.
  11. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I believe you raised a key word in your post. The incidence of 'dysfunctional' marriages. Those marriages are a problem in of themselves in regard to raising children. But the fear of getting into a 'dysfunctional' marriage can be making some folks hesitant about getting married. Combine that with the horrors of divorce.

I tend to believe that a lot of folks took the easy way out that is harmful in the long run. the easy way out is to simply not get married and NOT get into an intimate relationship for the long term.

The longer, harder solution would involve people making themselves more suitable for intimate relationships such as marriage. Thing is, a lot of the problem has been in way folks are raised. and to change in early adulthood in making effort to become more suitable for intimate relationships is difficult and complex. but tends to be worth the effort and time.

I tend to bash religions. But the structured environment of a functional local church, synagogue, etc provides an excellent path for developing oneself in the area of intimate relationships. But I believe it is mainly up to the quality of that local priest, rabbi, etc and his congregation. Sadly their are some dysfunctional local religious leaders who can really screw things up. So it is up to people to find a healthy house of worship.

intimate relationships are based primarily on the person to person, face to face communication between people. I tend to believe that people getting away from such communication and relying more and more on phones, internet, etc may be decreasing their ability to function in intimate relationships. To get a sight of this in a humorous way one only need to watch The Big Bang Theory. Pretty goofy show but does a pretty good job in terms of demonstrating dysfunctional behavior(show even has psych consultants for accuracy of depicting behaviors). Sadly, I sense that some people believe the show to display functional behaviors.