Here we go again . . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Oct 20, 2013.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +739 / 9 / -3
    Calipari strikes again.

As if we needed another thread, but I couldn't help myself! LOL!

Enjoy:

''We don't just play college basketball, we are college basketball. As you know, we are everyone's Super Bowl.''
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511 / 32 / -28
    Haha. I don't blame ya. I'll link video of the speech the quote came from and add my comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=URqq5jx3Xn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URqq5jx3Xn4

Obviously, its hard to defend the exact quote. Its simply not true in a literal sense. My only qualifications are that what Cal is doing, evident from the video, is trying to appeal to the emotions of recruits. When people talk about him being a "salesman," they usually mean it in a derogatory way - which I get - but its also one of the reasons he's a good recruiter. Some of the best players in each of the next three recruiting classes were at this event and many of the others will see video of this at some point. This is Cal branding, not being antagonistic. This isn't some intellectual speech on why Kentucky is the "gold standard." But some recruits will attend an event like this - and end up thinking that the gold standard thing is close to the truth because of their experience - whether its accurate or not.

I've read some more Spurrier quotes recently and he still hasn't entered that level of antagonism yet IMO. No DOUBT, however, I like Cal less after seeing this if I'm an opposing fan. I just try and see it for what it is, not what it isn't.
  3. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 15 / -9
    Typical scumbag cal. Not surprised at all
  4. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +503 / 28 / -11
    LoL! What an idiot.
  5. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Member

Ratings Received:
    +82 / 2 / -0
    I find this so funny. You know Duke is everybody's "super bowl" in the Acc, but you never hear their fans complaining about this. However, ever since Cal has come to Kentucky it seems like every single season their fans complain about being other team's super bowl.
  6. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248 / 23 / -7
    I didn't realize the last Super Bowl was played in Moon Township, Pa. I wonder if Cal remembers that he lost that game to Robert Morris University, the 124th-best team in the nation.

What a douche.
  7. iam4uf

iam4uf Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +267 / 18 / -2
    He's just a narcissist.
  8. Msgreentea

Msgreentea Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    A narcissist using a royal we. He means I am college basketball no doubt.
  9. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    What do we care what Calipari says to his fan base. Let's not become like UTn football fans circa 1995 who reacted to every joke Spurrier told at UF booster club meetings.

A little hyperbole before yet another disappointing season is what a coach often to do at fan get togethers.
  10. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60 / 3 / -0
    Young kids love this kind of ego trippin'. I am not sure this will be a successfull tactic. Humble is the way to go with this flashy bunch but Cal cannot help himself and I simply do not project a championship for this bunch. Only one ball on the court and that will inevitably be a problem.....
  11. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,642 / 63 / -9
    If you have ever been to Kentucky you would understand why they are so obsessed with their basketball. Unless you want to visit a baseball bat factory every day of your life, watching Kentucky bball is literally the only thing to do year round. During the offseason they just watch replays every 2-3 days just to keep the feel of bball going.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +391 / 13 / -2
    If Calipari and KY fell off the face of the earth, nothing will happen to college basketball. Nothing.

I can't wait to see this prick fall off this tinsel decorated pedestal.
  13. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 3 / -16
    I have lived in Kentucky 35 of my 67 years. I have never gotten bored. Yet all we Kentuckians do is go to the baseball factory (that I have never been to in my life) and watch Kentucky basketball. That is it. I have never done a damned thing but that. It is even worse if you are a Louisville fan then you only have the baseball factory.

Kentucky has Kentucky basketball and that pisses off a lot of good folks outside of Kentucky, but the truth is Kentucky basketball is the best.

Just like Alabama has Alabama football and that pisses off a lot of good folks outside Alabama, but the truth is Alabama football is the best. But Alabama does not even have the baseball factory. They are in really bad shape.

Calipari knows what he has and what he is selling. He is doing a masterful job of it. Big Blue Madness is bigger than ever and the UK brand gets better every day.
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +163 / 20 / -5
    The UK team might be better, but the UK brand is headed for the crapper. I love Cal's remarks of recent weeks because every sports fan is starting to realize that Cal is one of the biggest prlcks to ever coach in any sport. That is not helpful for the UK brand. I would be very embarrassed if Cal was the Gator coach.
  15. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598 / 30 / -4
    It's going to be hilarious to me when UK makes another final four and then follows it up with another NIT showing. They don't have anywhere close to the recruiting class needed for Cal's formula.
  16. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +516 / 38 / -22
    Benger when the recruiting class is finished it will be pretty good according to people I trust.
    Jeff
  17. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +516 / 38 / -22
    I also think the speech was over the top lol. I was more interested in watching the players and of course Coach Mitchell dancing but hey that's me. I do like they had an NBA exhibition the next night featuring ex cats.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511 / 32 / -28
    Yeah, I don't get what you're saying here. What you're suggesting would be hilarious is Cal making three final 4's in the span of 5 years (with one title). Cal followed a title with an NIT season. Didn't Donovan follow one with two? You can say Billy followed two titles with two NITs, but IMO Cal would have also had his team returned after the first. If UK makes a final four this year and then can't follow it the year after, I'm okay with that. He'll need to adjust. Last year he had something like eight players on scholarship. He's since said this was a big mistake and that it won't happen again. I think next years class ends up very good.

I understand not liking Cal's brashness, but I honestly doubt Florida fans lit into Spurrier for his comments. If Cal purposely needled Florida (or any team) like Steve did, there'd be a 10 page thread about it in here.
  19. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 3 / -16
    I will take that.

Honestly a final four every other year would be great. In todays basketball environment dictated by the NBA rules if a team gets a really quality player he will be gone in a year or so. After Billy D. lost his 04's Florida went to the NIT two years, but did that take away the two titles? Hell no.

So please explain the difference between Cal's formula and Billy D's formula? The answer is there is absolutely no difference. They try to get the best player they can get. You insinuate that there is a difference when the fact remains that the initially recruit the same players. I don't believe there is any difference in their formula.

Edit: REM, sorry I should have looked down farther to see your post. I said some of the same things.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117 / 66 / -15
    Success is so fleeting for a guy has shady as Calipari. I suspect he will hardly be among the pantheon of college hoops coaches when he retires. Just another hired gun.
    • Like Like x 1