Here is Jeff's problem without a doubt

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Sep 7, 2013.

1. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,505
    I have zero allegiance to Driskel. I calls Em like I see em. In fact I was cursing him in game until I thought about it.
  2. LTG61

LTG61 Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    Almost completely disagree, and I think this sums up why Driskel is the QB he is; He's been coached around for 2 years (and probably 4-6 years prior to that). At the major college level a player should be coached UP. If he has to be coached around, he shouldn't see the field until he changes. If that means he only gets third-team reps and therefore doesn't get as much opportunity to improve, tough cookies. Natural talent, including pocket presence, is requisite to the job. It's the coaches job to develop natural talent, not find work-arounds for the absence of it.

However, this I do agree with: It's coaching. The coaches should be blamed for playing guys who aren't fully capable, and for not recruiting other players able to supplant those who prove to be less than fully capable.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    You are suppose to develop but you are suppose to put your players in the best position to succeed. Jeff is the best player at the position so he is going to play. Tebow could NEVER throw or go through full reads. They gave him half field reads and told him to run
  4. LTG61

LTG61 Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    Agree. That's why the problem is ultimately coaching. JD doesn't have the talent to run this type of offense, but they've failed to get someone who can, and they still trot him out there asking him to do things he can't do.
  5. Speedgator84

Speedgator84 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Agree 100%
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432
    Jeff stood in the pocket and took 6 or 7 hits as he let go of the ball and those were completed. The fumble at the end was all on the blindside lineman who along with Moore is too slow to block Urkel.
  7. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,505
    Then what do you disagree with? I thought that originally. When he was first scouted, I was like wtf are we recruiting a project but that's what we have. Doesn't take a genius to see how he ran things back then and it would have to change and it wouldn't be in one off season. I said it then, it's apparently true, but it's what we got. The good news is if they figure out when to move him around he's good. He had great numbers if you take away the same fumbles and ints on the pressure. If they can adjust well have a great qb at the helm that's a dual threat.
  8. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,505
    Then what do you disagree with? I thought that originally. When he was first scouted, I was like wtf are we recruiting a project but that's what we have. Doesn't take a genius to see how he ran things back then and it would have to change and it wouldn't be in one off season. I said it then, it's apparently true, but it's what we got. The good news is if they figure out when to move him around he's good. He had great numbers if you take away the same fumbles and ints on the pressure. If they can adjust well have a great qb at the helm that's a dual threat.
  9. 95Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,505
    Regardless of the proper time, not knowing if your player is prepared to render the plays you're calling in the given scenario is what makes a good coach. The responsibility of that is on the coaches. The responsibility of the player is to be the best he can be. JDs performance was enough to get them the win. It is very obvious that someone should have known that he is not ready for pressure situations in a game time setting in a drop step pass. I know this because I saw it.

Shoot, even if they just leaned it in the game at some point they should have stopped calling drop steps in the red zone. That adjustment would have won the game for us.
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Yes, there is no right or wrong answer to that question. However, under the circumstances that exist here at UF, the likelihood that his deficiencies will lead to more losses and problems for the coaching staff is pretty high.

The days of Paterno and coaches like him starting only juniors and seniors is over. You are expected to come in with a good grasp of the game, especially if you play at an elite program.

It was clear to me in 2011 that Driskel had a long way to go to be a good college QB. He was very raw. Last year, he looked good up until the Poodle game,but I believe that opposing DC's figured him out and now know what to do to limit him.

Sadly, we have no other solution except to live and die with him through next season and hope that our staff does a better job of evaluating QB's in the future, both physically and mentally. Our last staff had Driskel high on their list because of his incredible physical talent and were not particularly concerned with his inability to play QB at a high level in BCS football.
  11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    I have said for 2 years now JD needs to roll out to the perimeter when he throws. He seems more comfortable out there and will give him a run option as well. He is deadly accurate on the run.
  12. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    His last INT was rolling out on the run.
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,735
    This shows that JD is capable of making clutch plays when he is just playing... with no situational pressure on him. When it gets down to making a play in the red zone, I think he's feeling the pressure too much and not embracing it in a confident positive fashion. That's my perception anyway. And I've been on both sides of that. When you know you're going to make the play, you make the play...in part because your teammates feel that too. When you're afraid you won't make the play, you won't.

I believe Jeff can do it... if/when he believes it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    And Trey Burton ran the wrong route...
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

Jeff's rookie season was last year for almost every purpose.

His problem with forcing the ball into the end zone for picks is a coachable problem too.
  16. toddsevans

toddsevans Gators3397 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Jeff stood tall and tough in the pocket. He forced one throw that cost us and another was on Burton. No doubt he needs to protect the ball and he will. He's a player and a competitor. Not comfortable standing in the pocket. I think that will be addressed and we will be tough down the stretch. The line could help by blocking. Every passing down Jeff was leveled. That's not pass protection and that's not on the QB.
  17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,735
    That's part of how he is making mistakes.

He's also missing scoring plays he should make. All of it comes down to how he handles pressure of big moments. IMO.

If/when he gets his head right, we'll be very difficult to beat.
  18. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Morris fumbled? I was drinking a lot, so I might have forgotten...
  19. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    This is the same old blame game...where blame is put on wrong shoulder. Its always after a loss and asst coaches, players are all targets because of frustration.

Got a question for OP...HOW did Driskel manage to win the Elite 11 qb camp as sr high schooler ?? You had all the best senior high school qbs and he won out. How? All of the experts who observed him during the camp praised his ability to learn and he was one of the few who kept taking notes during qb classes.

He really...for all intents and purposes, is a sophmore qb...not a junior because of a few wasted snaps in 2011. This kid is a helluva athlete and a good kid. Part of problem yesterday from my viewpoint was he pressed a little too much...he knew how important the game was. He needs to have fun out there and isnt...the pressure is intense.

I totally disagree about having awareness in the pocket...have you watched some of his scampers away from pass rushers? The coaches are trying to lessen the amount of hits he takes...but I think we have to let him run more...he is a dual threat qb and committed to UF because of the spread and he liked UF...well....the spread is gone but he still loves UF.

We have to understand that his help is limited...the Burtons were awful yesterday and I dont like calling out players...but they cost us several first downs and caused penalties twice and also fumbled once. Now...who does Driskel throw to? Our coaching staff needs to step up their game to develop game breakers like Dunbar and Patton. But we should know by now that true frosh have a hard time learning evberything and have to be given limited plays.

Likewise...Brown is a decent rb ..but he lacks the explosiveness we need...Jones? I am gonna reserve judgment until he gets some more snaps. Its one thing to have a back that'll get you tough yds and pick up five to eight yds on first down...its another when the defense has to worry about a rb bursting through for 65 yds. The problem with workhorse rbs is that you have to have a lot of plays to down the field to score and the more snaps...the more chances you have of a drive stalling. Showers is a change of pace and a perimeter runner..not an inside guy...doesnt have the strength...but does have speed to get outside.

Yesterday is just one of those games where you shake your head and realize it was a game that was meant to be a loss and losses can actually help more than you think.
    It strengthens resolve and it also gives the coaches plenty opf teaching opportunities.
    Glad we have an offweek. We moved the ball up and down the field and did something right....we just had too many mental lapses.
  20. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Look Driskel is no Brantley but something is just is not clicking with him and Peace is definitely on my list as one we need to be critical of...Driskel - loss to Georgia (2 int, 1 redzone, 3 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost redzone) game last year, and the Louisville Sugar Bowl (pick 6, int in redzone!!) game. Our only two loses. He just lost the Miami (2 int. Lost fumble, all again in redzone!) game.

There is a pattern forming here....and it has nothing to do with talent.