Here is Jeff's problem without a doubt

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Sep 7, 2013.

1. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    No way. He has no touch on the ball and makes poor decisions half the time. He is not nfl material.
  2. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    until jeff gets a good oline, he will be running for his life--hopefully they bring in some big time oline recruits in the next 2 years
  3. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    it's much more than that.
  4. LTG61

LTG61 Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    I didn't see him running for his life. But I did see him standing in the pocket forever and ever (amen) until his first receiver came open (while other receivers were running free in the meantime). I thought the line did pretty well in pass pro.
  5. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Pass protection was actually as good as we have seen in a long time for the most part. Run blocking was horrible.

I don't understand why we quit running the Qb option when UM couldn't stop it every time JD kept it.

UM gets the last laugh and have another excuse to say we are scared to some how keep this series going. Typical and I'm not surprised this kinda thing always happens to us
  6. Lovely1

Lovely1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Maybe it's good that this happened early and hopefully the coaches and players can correct and adjust where needed. I sure as heck hope so.
  7. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Sorry but Jeff's blindside blocking has collapsed several times in two games, causing 3 fumbles!

He needs to work on his mental clock and get rid of the ball or take off, but all 3 of his fumbles were breakdowns on the left side of the line.

Our line has deeper talent this year(not tons deeper) but has not really jelled yet. This is something that needs improvement and fast. Last years line when healthy was better than what were playing right now.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +245
    Maybe I'm not understanding how this works, but I saw Driskel sitting back there for just about forever on passing plays. That seems different from the problem being the oline.
  9. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Agreed. The line blocked fine. His decision making was questionable considering the amount of time he had on some of those plays
  10. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,559
    Once again I say, look at his reel. He needs to learn the placket. It's new to him.
  11. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    What I realized yesterday is that he rarely uses his mobility. Oh sure he uses it on designed runs (which we should do more of), but he doesn't seem to know what to do when the pocket starts breaking down. A QB with his speed should be able to tuck and run for first downs multiple times a game. Either that or drift out of the pocket giving his receivers an extra second to break free. Even non mobile QBs need to do that. My fear is that can only be coached to an extent, and either a QB has it or he doesn't.
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    I'm not convinced Jeff perceives things well both in the pocket and with what is taking place with coverage. For instance, instead of stepping up in the pocket to buy time, he inexplicably slid right and into a defender who was actually being blocked by Tyler Moore. Even on the sack and fumble, if he slides forward, the fumble probably doesn't happen.
    And he doesn't see receivers coming open well. He sees them once they are open, but that is often too late. As QB you have to see the receivers who are about to be open and deliver the ball then so they get it early and can make a play after the catch.
    This may be an experience thing or he may just "not get it." Time will tell. But he has a great and accurate arm and is a tremendous athlete. His accuracy is usually not the issue. It's his timing and understanding.
  13. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +46
    There's no reason Jeff shouldn't be able to do what Gardner does for Michigan.
  14. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Don't really like commenting critically on individual Gator players too much, but there's no denying the OP makes a valid point. It's fair to say that when it comes to pocket awareness our current starter is not exactly Dan Marino. More should be done by the coaches to take better advantage of the skill set he DOES have, in my opinion.
  15. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    This, this, this.
  16. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    Sure, the OL made some mistakes. But when they did, JD didn't throw it away or tuck it and run. He got sacked/fumbled the ball or threw an interception.

However when the OL was stout and Driskel had time, he still wasn't finding the receivers like he needed to do or he threw behind them. This happened quite a bit, actually.

JD made some good plays too, I'm not denying that. He just doesn't seem to have what it takes to be an elite QB (not talking physically). Nothing I have seen in his playing time makes me think that this is going to change. I hope I'm wrong, of course...
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,105
    I don't think Jeff has ever really had a chance to get in an actual groove as a passing QB since his time at UF. How big is rhythm in a passing attack? We sometimes run so much I wonder if it's hard for Jeff to learn properly from his mistakes and get into an actual rhythm. Clearly the turnovers I don't think can be blamed on any one thing, but there's definitely an issue with that.

I believe Jeff has the tools - mentally and physically, but the Offense needs to be tailored to a closer fit of his skills.
  18. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    The sack/fumble play was all on the line! Jeff was hit from his blindside less than 2 seconds after the snap and he was starting to throw the ball. Bad protection on that play.

He does seem to be slow with his reads, he is improving.

I think the coaches have tried to teach him not to leave the pocket on passing plays and have taken some of his scrambling away from him. He needs to find the balance between staying in the pocket and taking off. While he made some good runs on broken plays last year, he also didn't know when to throw it away(didn't do this yesterday either) and killed some drives loosing yardage.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  19. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    The game is too fast for him
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,427
    Jeff made plenty of nice plays between the twenties. He played poorly in the red zone annd it cost us the game.

He just needs to get his head right in big moments, IMO.