Help with projector tv...

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by G8RNTN, Aug 11, 2012.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Obviously this is your call, but I'm in the "if you're going to do it, do it right" camp.

Anything in the sub-$500 range is not going to be futureproof or of very high quality. The bare minimum should be HD-ready, and the one listed at $850 above looks like it fits the bill.
  2. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,247
    Those two criteria are incompatible. If you want a good, bright picture with contrast and deeper blacks, you're looking at upwards of $3k for the projector and you're going to need a decent screen. Like most other things in life, you can do it a) cheap, b) fast, or c) right. Pick any two.
  3. mvt_gator

mvt_gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,582
    Well, at least you have some ammunition to go ahead and spend some $ if wife approval is a factor.
  4. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    If not turn in your man-card.
  5. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Helix my Epson is HD 1280x800. I've hooked it up with an HDMI cord to my cable box and watched the BCS National Championship in HD. I could see every pimple and facial feature like I was there. G8RTN I think this would be perfect for your price range, and you'll really enjoy it. I also bought an 80' projector screen for it which is nice. But if you have a plain white wall, it still looks amazing as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QC17VG/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15473202699&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5754668361620709112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B002QC17VG
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Well yeah, that's an HD projector.

For less than $100 more though he could have a 1080p projector (versus your 720p)
  7. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,247
    That's a decent projector, but there is more to a picture than simply resolution. Contrast, black levels, brightness, etc. are important, especially when watching movies and other dramatic content that isn't naturally "bright" like sporting events. It will get you size and HD, but IMO it's like the difference in going from one of those bargain Westinghouse TVs you see at Best Buy or Target to a Panasonic Plasma or Samsung LED LCD.
  8. gators4life

Ratings Received:
    +232
    I don't know much about this stuff like you guys, but I've watched movies, blue-ray, gaming, TV, and it looks damn good to me. I've had it for almost 2 years without a problem. I've seen other ones to, and I can't tell much of a difference. I'm just saying if he is looking for a decent set up for a reasonable price I would recommend it. Just don't see what else more your could want in that price range. Good luck OP, you can't go wrong with a nice projector.
  9. gators4life

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Heck for 2,000 more you could get it with Erin Andrews personal movie included in 1080p with 3D glasses. Like I said I don't know a ton about projectors but I really enjoy mine. Just thought I would give him my experience.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Right, but $80 is negligible for a significant feature upgrade, $1200 isn't. :wink:
  11. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,411
    Ok so I ended up with the Optoma HD 23, it's a 1080p projector and I bought a 120" screen (elite screen). I have it set up at 14 feet mounted to the ceiling. Picture is amazingly crisp!!!! Bought it at best buy for $999 and the screen is a electric that ran me $245. All in all this is a sweet set up.
  12. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Hmmmm interesting, might do this myself....

Also a tip I learned in the AP grind in HS. But some aluminum foil and use that to block off all light from windows. Tape it up and literally the darkest place in the world will be your room. ( I used to sleep from 7am-5pm during those tests)
  13. panamacitygator

Ratings Received:
    +66
    My son just picked up a Optoma HD-20 on craigslist. It was 3 months old with a transferrable 2 year warranty and a 10' screen for 600 bucks!
  14. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,411
    My friend had the optoma HD 20 and a 150" screen and was nice... Does he like it???
  15. panamacitygator

Ratings Received:
    +66
    He loves it. The picture is great!
  16. mvt_gator

mvt_gator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,582
    Sweet deal - the bang for the buck on dlp projectors like this is outstanding
  17. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,700
    I'm still using my 60' Sony sxrd. It's a rear projection. I've replaced the bulb 3 times since I bought it in 2006. Not too bad, considering I play games on it. (they say not play games too much on them) not because of burn in, but it's just hard on the bulb. Anyway, She's been good to me, but I believe the inner components are going bad. Starting to get a greenish tint. Also, the screen will sometimes flash in out. (somewhat subtle of a flash, but definitely noticeable) it's not the bulb, as I just got a new one from a reputable seller.

Did some research, and apparently my model was recalled. Called Sony a few months ago, and they said they would give me a discount on new Sony tv. Never took it because I found workarounds to fix my problem. (Temporarily) I have to adjust the hue for one problem, and the other is toggle the power save setting. The hue I haven't really had to mess with after the first time. But the flashing in and out, that i have to mess with about once a week or so.

Bout to give up on it, and sell it for cheap. There's so many cheap tvs now. When we bought it, I believe it cost us around $2,300. Something like that....cant really remember it's been so long.
  18. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,700
    What that has to do with the topic of this thread, I have no clue! Lol just thought I'd share my experience with our tv.