Help me out about why FSU is ranked No.1.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Aug 20, 2014.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    So you saw the game but didn't know what you were watching? Miami scored on a busted coverage by our freshman safety, maye, we thoroughly dominated the game giving it away by committing 6 unforced turnovers. We win that game 9 out of 10 times easy. If we stayed healthy we would have handled duke also, fairly easily.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    I think you will feel differently as the season progresses, I don't blame you for being confident after watching us from a distance last year. We will see.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    He's not confident. That's false confidence, a Nole specialty. Like watching that UF-Miami game last year and acting as if he didn't understand what he saw on the field, yet using a curious logic to talk up Duke vs Texas A&M. Okay, buddy. But hey, let him continue to sport that. There's a date certain coming in November, and then we'll see about Crab Legs and his posse.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorStang

GatorStang Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +915
    2012 was the only year of the 4 that you played our healthy, starting QB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fwhite42

fwhite42 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +438
    Again with the fully healthy offense against Miami. No Debose, no Green, and a clearly not healthy Jones who averaged 2.6 yards and gave up a fumble. Our starting tackle, our record-setting kick returner and only somewhat credible deep threat, and our only proven running back at that point all out or less than 100%.

And, STILL the Gators almost overcame the turnovers. But, yeah, keep blathering on, Mr. Harris.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    I'm not sure what else you want me to say. UF never led Miami, at no point in the game. I said UF's defense was great, which it was.

Comparatively, Duke had a double digit lead for most of the game vs A&M, and even led 38-17 at halftime. Forgive me if I see that as a bit more dominant than what UF did to Miami (trailing the entire game).
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Mharris, don't take this the wrong way, you don't know football. In 2012 how dominant did we look against jax st? And what did we do to you guys that year? If the game was as simple as you are pretending to make it, you could be a coach.....but it isn't, is it?
  8. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    Was Brantley not your QB in '10 and '11?
  9. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    More dominant? Although up 38-17, Duke never dominated A&M. In fact, they only stopped them once in that first half -- if you were paying attention *and* on that one drive where they did stop A&M, it was an 8 play drive for A&M.

Florida dominated Miami, and after their initial drive only gave up only one big play defensively, and truly beat themselves on offense. No one can honestly deny that. I don't really care whether you want to acknowledge that fact but your efforts in this thread only serve to further prove the false confidence point I've made.

As I've said, a date certain is coming. Ron Zook Field.
  10. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    I completely derped and mistyped that. I fixed it, meant to say FSU was staying #1 regardless of the outcomes of the other games, unless they lost to Duke, in which obviously they drop from the championship game
  11. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    yes he was and he was healthy all year if im not mistaken
  12. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    I dont see why any Florida fan cares where FSU is ranked preseason. I just joined, but out of curiosity, did Florida fans complain for 7 pages about Florida NOT being ranked? It doesnt matter, the playoff committee doesnt use polls and FSU returns A TON on defense (when i charted their games i counted 10-12 freshman and sophomores playing which might actually beat us for guys that young playing in a single game).

Its not that important.
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,125

I've pointed this out before too.
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,125
    Lol the guilty dog always
    barks first.
  15. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    im not sure a Nole would put the effort into logging every throw by Hutson Mason, or watching hours of video on UGAs front 7 from last year so that I can make educated opinions on their team. Or spend hours charting FSU vs Clemson and FSU vs Duke so that I can get a better read on Pruitts scheme and play calling so that again, I can get a better read on what to expect from Georgia this year (I live in Atlanta, UGA fans here are beyond unbearable with this Pruitt hire)

You can search, Ive posted both my write ups on Mason and Pruitt.

Thats a lot of effort for a "Nole" because you and most people here are offended by objective thinking. I could post my reddit username if it makes you feel any better so that you can go through my post history to see how much of a nole i am
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441

According to espn who list by total defense, Virginia Tech allowed less yards, about the same passing, less rushing but did allow more points which tells me their offense put them in a ton of disadvantageous situations, ie: turnovers in own territory.
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Fully healthy? Our starting QB didn't have any camp time during off season because of appendectomy surgery, our starting RT Chaz Green was lost for season before it started. Halapio had a torn pectoral muscle before the season, hell we didn't even have a spring game because of injuries to our OLine. the Miami game was the first action Matt jones (starting rb) had seen all summer do to a viral infection that caused him to lose 20 lbs. Our most electric playmaker debose tore his acl before the 1st game. Our ENTIRE starting five OL missed either part of the Miami game.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/10/23/4947700/florida-gators-injury-report-jeremi-powell-acl
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    Just when I thought you were a reasonably balanced, well införmed poster.

Of that group @Louisville is the only one that should scare you as much as our game IMO. Climpson and Okie State both lost most of their offense. If the Noles defense is as good as you claim, you should hold them under double digits. The Domers return four starters on defense, and were weak against the run last year. They get Golston back, which should help their offense, but they don't have much to threaten a strong defense. It will be interesting to see what Petrino does in L'ville. With his creativity on offense and that being a road game, it could be a tough one.

You already know we have a defense. On offense we have easily our strongest roster since 2009. Every position group is stronger than it has been since then, and Roper appears to have made great strides with Driskel. Overall, the scheme just fits our personnel better. Unless we have another injury meltdown, we're the strongest team on your schedule.
    In addition to the illness/injury problems with Green, Debose, Driskel, and Jones, we also had Dunker dismissed from the team. Halapio was playing with one arm. Moore playing out of position at OT because we had no more healthy tackles. Both of our top two TE recruits were out injured, so we were left with DEs playing TE, who couldn't catch the ball.

The sad thing is that even with all those issues, it was easily the most healthy point of the season for us. It was all downhill from there.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    You do realize in that in 2011 we doubled your yardage 95-185. Manuel only had 65 yards passing, and your only 2 offensive TD's came on turnovers deep in our own territory and the other on a pick 6. We lost our starting QB , near the end of the 2nd Quarter and played a true freshman at qb from there on out, so please don't act as if y'all were dominant. Last year was the first time in nearly a decade that y'all have been truly better.
  20. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +212
    Actually VT allowed more yards. FSU finished #3 in the nation in total yards, VT was #4. And FSU allowed just 4.09 yards per play while VT allowed 4.55. That's almost an entire 1/2 yard more, every play for the entire season. That's a lot. FSU's defense was definitely better. Also, as was pointed out earlier FSU took their starting defense out during much of the 2nd halves of nearly every game of the season. VT only had 1 game all year where they took their starting defense out. Both teams probably subbed a lot of guys in, but save for 1 game, VT never put in their 3rd and 4th string guys at all. That's where FSU gave up most of their points/yardage.