Help me out about why FSU is ranked No.1.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Aug 20, 2014.

1. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Florida lost all three of their starting linebackers to injury who all would have played a role in pass defense and the run defense. UF also lost their best DT, Easley, who would have just harrased FSU's Dline along with Fowler & company - the Florida pass rush was just not the same caliber despite having stellar secondary personal!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. RD_gator

Ratings Received:
    +170
    A healthy UF football team is just flat out better & tougher than the nolies in every way. By the time UF plays the semi's again, the Gators will be more battle tested by having to go through the SEC gauntlet while the semi's choke on ACC creampuffs. These semi's are letting last year's game go to their heads and expecting it to be easy again! Florida will make it two in a row in Tallahassee! ;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. coleg

coleg Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    That whole battle tested nonsense was disproven in the NC game after FSU spotted a big lead in the second quarter and then came back like 31 to 10 the rest of the way. This year FSU will be playing a schedule that is guessed by preseason polls better than LSU, UCLA, Mich., and Bama.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Many would beg to differ. I think the object of the game is scoring and keeping your opponent from scoring, no?

I think you mean yards, but yes, they did give up 29 fewer yards per game which is impressive. However, they definitely kept their starters in longer than FSU. I think it's safe to say they kept their defensive starters in until the lead grew to at least a 3 possession game, would you agree? I mean, why would they take them out with a 1 or 2 TD lead? So I'll use 3 possessions as the amount where teams would feel comfortable enough to take their starting defense out.

For Michigan State, only 3 of their 14 games did they have at least a 3-possession lead until under 3 minutes to go in the game. So obviously their starting D was in pretty much the entire time for all but 3 of their games.

In complete contrast, for FSU 11 of their 14 games were no closer than a 3-possession game during THE ENTIRE 3RD AND 4TH QUARTERS. And another (Miami) for the entire 4th and half of the 3rd quarters. And for most of these, it was far more than just 3-possessions. Some were 5 and even 6 possessions.

Pitt: 3+ possession game for the 3rd and 4th quarters

Nevada: 3+ possession game for the 3rd and 4th quarters

Bethune Cookman: 3+ possession game for the 3rd and 4th quarters, and most of the 2nd quarter

Maryland: 3+ possession game for the 3rd and 4th quarters

Clemson: 3+ possession game for the 3rd and 4th quarters, and half of the 2nd quarter

NC State: 3+ possession game for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, and half of the 1st quarter

Miami: 3+ possession game for the 4th quarter and half of the 3rd quarter

Wake: 3+ possession game for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters

Syracuse: 3+ possession game for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters and some of the 1st quarter

Idaho: 3+ possession game for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, and some of the 1st quarter

Florida: 3+ possession game for the 3rd and 4th quarters

Duke: 3+ possession game for the 3rd and 4th quarters

Now you tell me, do you honestly think Michigan State had their starting defense sit for anywhere near as much game time as FSU's???

I was talking about our defense. We gave up a chuck of our total yards and points in the 4th quarters when our starters were playing hangman on the sideline. Idaho's best TD drive of the game came with a minute left when FSU led 80-7. Clemson's best TD drive of the game came with a minute left when FSU led 51-7. Duke's best (only) TD drive of the game came with a minute left when FSU led 45-0.

Who was better in the ACC? And please explain why. This should be good...
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,932
    On topic, while I am not a fan of preseason polls because they can tend to skew the ratings, I do believe FSU should be the number one ranked team in the preseason polls.

They were last year's champs, and return a large number of their two deep including their Heismann QB. And their schedule is favorable. It's not that tough, but it's not the cake walk that the better B1G and Big 12 teams appear to have, so they'll have that over those conference winners. And should be reasonably comparable to Bama, if Bama goes through from the SEC.
  6. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Yes, OSU would have been left out and it would not have been close. As much grief as UF fans gave FSU about a weak schedule last year, OSU was way worse. OSU only played two Top 25 teams prior to the Big 10 CG and they were #23 Wisconsin and #16 Northwestern. Meanwhile, FSU had played #3 Clemson and #7 Miami (both in prime-time 8pm ESPN games of the week).

Coming out of rivalry week, FSU had beaten a 4-7 UF by 30, but OSU had barely, barely scraped past a 7-4 Michigan 42-41. Any hope OSU had of passing FSU ended that week. OSU showed that they weren't one of the two best teams in the country as they should have been able to handle Michigan easily if they were.

Going into the Conference CG week, OSU was going up against #13 MSU while FSU was playing #20 Duke. The difference in ranking would not have been enough for OSU to gain enough on FSU in SOS. Additionally, FSU would have had to really struggle against Duke (like going in to OT-type struggle) for voters to move OSU ahead in the polls.

Ohio St. had two major strikes against them: a weak schedule and a lack of a signature wins. Meanwhile, FSU had been dominate during the season, had two major signature wins, a top ranked Defense and a record setting, #1 Offense.

OSU winning streak was not going to get them into the BCS CG when there was a dominate team ahead of them in the polls. The same storyline of Saban vs Meyer could be made about Saban vs Fisher.

I remember watching the reports on ESPN and reading BCS predictions going into Conference CG week, the consensus opinion was that if FSU won, they were in. OSU just did not have enough Mojo with pollsters and computers to close the gap with FSU.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +631
    ^ NC games against Oklahoma St. and ND are respectable. The Thursday night contest at Louisville could be interesting if the Cards are on the same page with themselves by the time FSU comes to town. Definitely not a cake walk.

Any team that is coming off a 14-0 season, with a returning Heisman trophy winner at QB, has consistently landed top-10 (or better) classes, with a good portion of its two-deep returning is going to be ranked either #1 or #2 heading into the season.

We're going to find out how good that 'Nole defense is without Pruitt. That was a big loss, and everybody acts as if there will be no drop off at all. We'll see.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RD_gator

Ratings Received:
    +170
    We'll see - you do know that Auburn should have won that game don't you; FSu was lucky to win that game! Your mighty defense never stopped auburn; Auburn just left too much time on the clock! If FSU is really number 1 than college football must be really down in the dumps!
  9. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    Biggest loss of the off season in my opinion. We'll see if Kelley is up to the task, but I think there may be a drop off.
  10. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,932
    There were definitely a lot of ways Auburn could have won that game... like not tripping over dust bunnies on the field on the Noles' winning drive. Heck, the Barners missed a wide open gimme TD on their very first drive, and should have had another later in the first half.

But FSU made the plays they needed to. They won.
  11. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +631
    And there will be teams on that schedule that will put that D to the test. Clemson will always be a threat to move the ball; obviously Oklahoma State puts points up; who knows how effective the Louisville offense will be under Petrino when the Noles travel up north to play them; ND will make any defense work if Golston is allowed to act up and make plays outside of the pocket.

We could actually have an offense better than any one of those teams. So we'll definitely find out.
  12. delphics

delphics New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    @mharris

I'm a nole as well, but I think you should remember where you are. I think you are raising some interesting points but the tone seems a bit provocative - even if not intentional. Worm has some amazingly insightful posts and seems to be very even Keel ... if he has given up on your argument it may be time to reconsider continuing the thread. Go noles!
  13. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,465
    Did you watch the Miami game or did you just eat some bad oysters for lunch?
  14. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    I did watch the Miami game. And I saw a very impressive UF defense and a fully healthy UF offense that couldn't break 10 points till the end of the game. It was a close game but Miami led the entire way.

Why do you ask?
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,696

AU sat on thei rlead and played not to lose in the second half. Just one more score and AU wins that game.
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +7,932
    Yeah, you're right.

But that's the way it played out. It's all about making plays to get the W.

We kicked Miami all over the field. Doubled them up statistically for the game and probably four to one after the first quarter. But we blew easy scoring plays when we had the chance, and turned the ball over repeatedly both denying our own scores and giving them scores.

Doesn't really matter that we kicked their butts between the 20s and destroyed them in the battle of the stats.

Or that Auburn kicked the Noles for most of the game and won the battle of the stats.

Scoreboard.
  17. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +477
    The fact that a 4-8 SEC team scares the Noles the most and essentially will be the toughest team they play all year says it all. They know we could easily come in and wipe the floor with them just like 2 years ago...they know it. The rest of their schedule is cupcake...they are not worried...nor should they be.

On the other hand we will face at least 4 or 5 comparable teams before entering the dump of a stadium in Tally. They know we can take them down...Ask any Nole and the one game that scares them most is a little old 4-8 team that lost to Ga Southern last year.
  18. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    I say this in all honesty, UF is probably the 5th scariest game on our schedule. @ Miami, @ Louisville are scarier to me. Then probably ND in Tally and Oklahoma State in Dallas. After that I would put UF and Clemson in Tally, neither of which feel particularly scary after last year's demolitions. I'll have to see how UF's offense does with Roper. If you can get any semblance of offense going against Alabama, I might bump them up to 3rd scariest game due to that great defense. But the fact is, in 3 of the last 4 meetings you've scored exactly 7 points vs us.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Not sure why you think my tone is any different than anyone else here. I was just responding point by point to wormwood.
  20. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +719
    You seriously believe fsu stays number 1 even if upset by Duke, and you aren't an fsu fan, and they own the state? Seriously, start taking your meds again or the guys in the white outfits with the special jacket for you will be dropping by.