Help me out about why FSU is ranked No.1.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Defenses are generally measured by total defense, not scoring defense.

I didn't mention Louisville because they were not in a P5 conference. As for Michigan State, they played as easy an offensive schedule as FSU and gave up 30 fewer points per game. Are you going to tell me that they played THEIR starters the entire game?

Your point is taken, but Boy, are you delusional. Your second string is better than Boyd and Sammie! LOL!! And winston played virtually the entire game at Clemson and Duke. Not sure where you are geting the 3d stringers from...

And neither do you. What you think, however, si that FSU is somehow unique that they were the only team in the ACC or the nation that put their backups in. You had a pretty good defense last year, but the best? Not even in the ACC...
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Worm:

Don't waste the brain power. FSU will never play a rough schedule in the ACC.

The only way to shut the Noles up is to do it on the field. One of their toughest games is against us and we went 4-8 last year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    The knucklehead doesn't even realize that I was defending the ACC earlier...homer fans, what can you do?

I disagree with you, as I think the ACC will improve when VT returns to normal, Miami finds its way back to the Promised Land, Petrino gets Louisville rolling, Fedora finally gets North Carolina to reach its massive potential, and Dabo keeps Clemson purring along (and I think he will, as South Carolina has become a prep football hotbed). That would give them six strong teams, which would generally match the six strong teams the SEC usually has.

But you're right in that we have to shut them up on the field -- preferably this year at Ron Zook Memorial Field...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    I expect FSU to make the playoffs but wouldn't necessarily take any huge collapse for them not to. One close loss could be all it takes, especially late in the season. We don't know what will happen with the committee or how things will play out in other conferences. With four teams coming from five conferences, somebody is going to be disappointed.
  5. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Good thing UF never needed a string of late season losses by other teams to play for the national title. o_O
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    I don't care if FSU had the best defense in the ACC or not...doesn't really matter to me but in nearly every game FSU did play a lot of the 2nd and 3rd teamers on defense...a guy like Jernigan was usually only playing about a half and maybe a few series in the 3rd. It was a running joke with FSU fans that as soon as the backups came in, the opponent scored and would 'mess up our stats." I'm not sure how that compares to Michigan State though, although I don't recall them playing in as many blowouts.

They were only up 14-6 in the 4th quarter against S. Florida.
    They were only up 20-14 in the 4th quarter against Iowa.
    They were only up 7-0 in the 4th quarter against Purdue.
    They were only up 27-21 in the 4th quarter against Nebraska.
    They were only up 14-3 in the 4th quarter against Minnesota.

So by necessity they really couldn't sub in an entire 2nd team unit in many of their games. Not saying this makes the FSU defense better at all. I was impressed by Michigan State's D all year.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    I should have been clearer. One loss for them could potentially keep them out of the playoffs but my point is even one loss in the regular season would be a huge disappointment considering FSU will likely be favored heavily in every regular season game. Collapse maybe isn't the most accurate to use though.
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    You should definitely be favored in all games, but running the table isn't easy, and keeping heavy favorites motivated isn't easy either. If Karma catches up with your QB, things could get interesting.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    I'm sorry but that isn't quite right. Oregon was ranked #2 until week 11 when they lost to Stanford (and then lost again two weeks later to Arizona). Once that happen, FSU moved up to #2 behind #1 Alabama. Going into rivalry week, FSU was almost .05 points above OSU for #2 in the BCS standings. If 'Bama won, it would have assured that the BCS CG was 'Bama vs FSU (assuming a 'Bama win over Mizzo), as the gap between FSU and OSU would have been too great for OSU to overcome with one game.

If 'Bama lost, FSU was assured a spot in the BCS CG as they would have been the clear #1. If 'Bama had won out, FSU would have been locked in as the clear #2 based on the BCS system. Ohio State was not going to jump FSU if they beat MSU as they were too far behind and it would be extremely doubtful that any voters would have moved OSU ahead of FSU in the polls or the win would have significantly increased OSU' SOS enough to close the gap.

Basically, FSU didn't need "luck", they just needed Oregon to lose at some point in the season and then win out, and they were going to make the BCS CG Game. Rivalry Week and Conference CG Week made things really exciting last year, but all it really ended up deciding was who FSU would be playing in Pasadena.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    I'm not sure that's right either. Rivalry week fsu played a 4-7 gators team and Ohio State played a top ten 1 loss Michigan State team. Had Ohio State beat MSU and done it convincingly, like a 30 point blowout I'm not sure the coaches and ap polls would not have awarded them favorably. :)
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,380
    Find it yourself.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Actually, I think OSU played Michigan during rivalry week and played MSU the following week in the conference championship game. OSU would've gotten more respect for beating Michigan and Michigan State than fsu got from beating UF and Duke.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Correct you are my friend :)
  14. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Sagarins SOS for FSU is 62, Ohio State at 58. Up until the Big 10 Championship game Ohio State didnt play any top 25 teams, Florida State played 3 teams who were in the top 25 at the time they played them, Maryland, Miami and Clemson, two of those were in the top 10 when the game was played.

Florida State wasnt missing the title game. Period.

I probably sound like a "hidden nole" or whatever the silly posts on here are for when people arent heavily gator biased but i just in general have an issue with people who carry so much hatred for one team they cant see reality
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    really think ohio state gains enough points to jump florida state?

http://andersonsports.com/football/ACF_n243.html

this computer had OSU ahead of FSU but will be top 3 even if ohio state wins after the sec title game

http://andersonsports.com/football/ACF_n243.html

FSU ahead of Ohio State here

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/arch/compare2013-14.htm

FSU still ahead of Ohio State
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2013/week/15

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs/_/week/15/year/2013
    Entire BCS rankings in week 15 before going into the final based off the conference championship games.

Ohio State PLAYS FSU if they win the big 10 game, and maybe im misreading your post and others, its a possibility, either way, Ohio State was never going to JUMP a team in which only one computer had them ranked ahead of FSU, and after FSU smashed Duke, there is no way a 3 TD win from Ohio State changes this, especially since the computers dont take margin of victory into consideration. Maybe the human voters put OSU over FSU, computers wont.

FSU was getting to the title game last year no matter what if they stayed undefeated

I hate FSU, I hate watching them own the state, but this is kind of a reality
  16. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    You must have missed the part where I said "even though FSU was probably better"

One thing I've learned not to do is to try and understand the computer rankings. They are usually different than what one would usually think. As far as the coaches polls, I think it would look more impressive beating mich. & mich st. Back to back weeks than UF & duke.

But honestly if OSU won out how would anyone keep them out of a title game since at that time they would have been on a 25 game winning streak and went undefeated 2 years straight. That's pretty impressive in its own right and I can't stand OSU. They probably should have played for the title in '12 but tattoos made sure that didn't happen.

Are you telling me you wouldn't pick a team who went undefeated 2 years in a row and is on a 25 game winning streak over a fsu squad who had just last year became truly relevant on the bcs scene again.
  17. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    oh yeah i saw that part, i was just posting the schedule for comparisons sake, neither one is impressive but one wasnt way ahead of the other, that was all ;)

Ohio State would have absolutely made the title game if they beat Michigan State but they werent jumping FSU, FSU was staying #1 unless they lost to a duke
  19. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    I would have picked Oklahoma as #1, Auburn or FSU as #2/3!
  20. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Yeah but if bama doesn't lose to auburn they would be the 2 time defending who is undefeated going for a three peat.
    If bama and osu win out the season here is the scenario voters will see.
    Three teams:

Team a) 2 time defending champions undefeated sec champs going for a three peat.

Team b) a team that hasn't lost since 2011 when they had an interim HC. 25 game win streak and 2 straight undefeated seasons.

Team c) undefeated acc champions whose best wins are over a avg. Miami team, a horrible florida team, a overachieving duke team, and decent clemson teams who still can't compete with USC.

All deserve to be there but the allure of a meyer vs. Saban showdown again would be to big to pass up for the cfb powers.
    • Agree Agree x 2