Help me out about why FSU is ranked No.1.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Aug 20, 2014.

1. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Interesting find on what Will's defenses have done to elite college QBs:

David Greene: (2003) 20-44 314, 2 tds, 1 int (Georgia scored only ten points)
    David Greene: (2003 SECC game) Couldn't find stats, but Georgia scored a measly 13 points
    JaMarcus Russell (2006) 20-37 267, 0/0 (LSU scored only three points)
    Chris Leak: (2006) 9-17 108, 1 td, 1 int (Florida won the national title that year)
    Tim Tebow: (2007) held a Heisman-winning QB to 20-27 201, 1 td, 1 int
    EJ Manuel (2011) 6-13 65, 0 td, 0 int
    EJ Manuel (2012) 18-33 182 1 td, 3 int
    John Football (2012 Heisman winner) 23-30 173, 0 td, 0 int (completely shut down in second half)
    Aaron Murray (2012) 12-24 150 yds, 1 td, 3 int
    Aaron Murray (2013) 16-25 258, 1 td, 0 int

I feel all seven of those QBs were "elite". If you want to argue that Leak and Manuel weren't, that's fine, but I'd say at the very least, both were outstanding college QBs. Those are impressive defensive numbers against the best of the best competition. When Muschamp has the talent and the depth, he's as good as anyone at coming up with an incredible plan for even the best QBs. Of course, his defenses have been lit up at times, but those are examples of what he can do. And he's got a boatload of talent to work with this year, which is why I feel like we'll match up well with the 'Noles. We may not win, but the FSU offense won't go nuts in that game.

Wormwood is going to go off about Durkin and how it's really his show; technically he'd be right. But the entire defensive staff is involved in the planning of each game, and Muschamp is certainly influential on how to attack each opponent philosophically.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    I forgot the 2008 Texas-OU game. I wouldn't say the Texas D (coached by Champ) came close to shutting down Bradford, but they held the Sooners to 100 yards less than their average that season; they also held the Sooners to 16 points below their season average and Texas won the game against a record-setting OU team that played for a national title.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,820
    I know we haven't fared well against him in the past..... let's just hope we keep him around for awhile, champ going to FSU, UGA, or gulp.....Bama is a scary thought.
  4. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    The poster right after you does. He's not being dramatic at all.
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,820
    No I don't think our bottom dwellers are as good as your upper half of acc teams, but they are on par with the acc lower half. Also I don't believe kentucky would be 2-10 in that conference. They would probably hover around .500 like that trio if MD, putt, and cuse, last year.

The thing is our list of bottom dwelling teams is shrinking with each successful year for the SEC. That list used to include the likes of Kentucky, vanderbilt, the 2 Mississippi schools, and tenn as of late. But due to rise in recruiting for some of those I would like the chances of the Mississippi schools against anyone in the acc not named clemson, VT or FSU. Sad part is one of our usual suspects and perennial punching bags, vanderbilt beat the same team last year as clemson did in their BIGGEST win all of last season(georgia).

After the 2nd best team in the acc beat Georgia, everyone was all up in arms about how clemson is for real etc. But then one of our worst teams in the conference year in and year out did the same exact thing and beat Georgia.

Sorry if that waters down the whole "hooray, our second best team in the conf. Beat a sec team" but the fact is FSU has outgrown the conference, although I do see improvement with them(ACC) in the not so distant future. Until then try to act like you've been there before and not like fsu is the mecca of CFB and everything/body bows to your feet. Y'all are just the latest flavor of the month. I mean y'all did just lose to a NC state team in 2012 that you had no business losing to.

Welcome back from your decade of obscurity. :)
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    ...and one more performance I forgot:

2004 National championship against OU. Heisman Trophy-winning QB Jason White went 13-37 for 102 yards and 2 ints. against the LSU D. And White was sacked seven times.
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,820
    This game was the first thing I seen on the SEC network. :)

What stood out to me was the who's who of assistants saban had on his team. I seen Dooley, and there was champ and Fisher and probably a few others I'm not aware of. I do recognize dawson (fsu WR coach I think) and Stacy searels, was a candidate for our OL coach job, and a couple others.

Nick saban is quite the gatherer of talent isn't he? :)
  8. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Yup. People can say what they want to about Saban, but the man has made his mark in every way on the game of college football.
  9. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    For some reason, likely because of the layoff, great QB's tend to have their struggles in the title game, going well below their regular season numbers. It isn't exclusive to "SEC defenses".

In 2000, Weinke won the Heisman, throwing for over 350 yards and 2 TDs against a "SEC defense" but could not even muster a field goal in the title game against Oklahoma.

In 2004, Jason White led his team to the NC, but in one of the worst games of his career, tossed more INTs than touchdowns as OU got routed by USC.

In 2008, Tebow had an impressive passer rating of 172, and an amazing 191 passer rating against Bama in the SECCG, but was held to his lowest passer rating of the season against Oklahoma (133).

In 2010, Cam Newton ran roughshod over the SEC, having a passer rating over 200 against Alabama and in the SECCG against South Carolina, but he was held in check by Oregon (137 passer rating) as they forced him into two costly turnovers, including a fumble in his own territory with 5 minutes left that led to Oregon tying the game.

Eric Crouch struggled. Troy Smith struggled. Jason White struggling against LSU goes with the trend.

Aside from the amazing 2005 game with Vince Young and Matt Leinart, I think you'd have to go back nearly 20 years for the last time a Heisman winning QB had a "Heisman" type performance in the National Title. And yes, I'm talking about Mr. Wuerffel.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    ^^^^ But nobody is arguing that SEC superiority had anything to do with performances that Muschamp's D have had against elite competition. What Muschamp's defenses did to Tebow and Manziel have nothing to do with what you're talking about. Only one example (LSU-OU) that I gave had anything to do with a national title game.

My point was that his teams have had a bizarre amount of success against some of the best QBs the game of college football has seen over the last ten years or so. And I can see the Florida defense giving FSU some problems this November, which really wouldn't be surprising when you think about what Auburn's defense did to the 'Nole attack for a good part of that game. And the Tiger defense really wasn't even that good.
  11. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    Point taken.
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,957
    It's called context. Worm takes issue with people here claiming a 2-3 loss SEC team being every bit as good, if not better, then a 1-2 loss ACC team. His post was very dramatic.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,872
    Actually, no. kentucky would be a bottom feeder in any P5 conference. Let's look at their record:

Year------Wins-------------------------------------Notable Losses

2013.........Miami (Ohio (0-12), Ala State (FCS).........W. Kentucky (8-4), Florida (4-8)
    2012.........Kent State (11-3), Samford (FCS)...............W. Kentucky (7-6), Arkansas (4-8) Lost 49-7

The last P5 conference team they beat with a winning record was USCe (9-5) in 2010, in one of Spurrier's brain fart games.

The last three years? No way in Hell.

Not really. There were several ACC teams that were better than Florida last year, including Maryland, Pitt, Syracuse, and UNC, among others.

If I had to rank them last year, in order:

FSU
    Alabama (yes, they were better than Auburn)
    Auburn
    Mizzou (lost to two teams with 2 losses)
    USCe (lost to Tennessee)
    Clemson
    Louisville (with Bridgewater, better than LSU)
    LSU
    Virginia Tech (Logan lost three games himself)
    Ole Miss
    Duke (too many smoke and mirrors games)
    Texas A&M
    Georgia (injuries derailed them)
    Boston College
    Vandy
    Georgia Tech (probably should be higher)
    Miss State
    Syracuse
    Maryland
    North Carolina
    Florida (injuries and attrition crushed us)
    Wake Forest
    Arkansas
    NC State
    Virginia
    Kentucky

I did the research of head to head performance between ACC and SEC teams since 2000, and found out that the difference between conferences is less than a game. IOW, an 8-win SEC team is about as good as an 8.6 win ACC team. They ARE better, but only slightly, nowhere NEAR what SEC honks like to believe.

Kentucky would have been a bottom-feeder in ANY BCS conference in 2012 and 2013.
    Tennessee
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,872
    Most of those turnovers were indeed forced. Go look at the replays.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,872
    Bullshat. Many here apparently do. You apparently think a 4-8 Florida team is better than a 9-4 Miami team. That is, unless you would acknowledge that if we played Miami towards the end of the year, Miami would have rolled over us...right?
  16. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    It's not where you start, it's where you finish.

My preference would be for the ranking at the end of the previous season to be the ranking for the beginning of the next season. That way, the defending champion would get to enjoy their status until they lose.

If FSU loses a game this year due to an injured Winston or turnovers, I'll have no sympathy for them.
  17. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,162
    no need to welcome them..they'll be back to obscurity before they know it.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,957
    No, YOU think many do because of exactly why I stated. I also don't need to acknowledge anything towards the end of the year because we didn't play then. I was at the game and saw us dominate Miami in yards only to give them multiple turnovers. Even you can't dispute that!
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,957
    No need to.
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,957
    What research could you have possibly done that would support your claim? Head to head shows all one needs to see and the SEC is better.

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/sec/acc.shtml
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1