Help me out about why FSU is ranked No.1.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Aug 20, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

They recalled that version, apparently they were defective. :)
  2. mharris34

mharris34 Member

I then changed it to 4th toughest after Oaktown convinced me. But I don't see any reasonable explanation why you should be higher than that. Playing Okie State in Dallas is scarier, sorry. It's the first game of the season, and we are playing an offense with a pulse while breaking in a brand new DC. And Okie State played in that stadium just 8 months ago, they'll have just as many if not more fans there, and it'll feel like a home game for them. And I already pointed out the fact we have just 1 WR who's caught a TD pass. We'll need another guy, likely a true freshman, to step up big time. They will, but in the very first game? Who knows.

Miami played us tough in the first half last year esp. when they had Duke Johnson in the game. Reports are he is faster this year despite a 20 lbs weight gain. The guy is a freak, and if there's one thing you can exploit on FSU's defense, it's running up the middle. The game being in Miami doesn't help. So yeah, that's tougher too.

At Louisville at their place on a Thursday night will be scary too. They had one of the best defenses in the nation last year.

I put you above a team that won a BCS Bowl and finished #7 in the country (Clemson), as well as a team that hasn't lost a regular season game with their current QB (Notre Dame). This, despite your 4-8 record last year (1-3 OOC) and implementing an entirely new spread offense that plays right into the hands of our defense. What more do you want?
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. coleg

coleg Active Member

The rules on this board certainly limit Nole responses to bait threads. If you actually wish to engage in some back and forth on those topics, there's a smack forum to be found I'm sure.
  4. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

If we're such am afterthought (4th place), I find it pretty amusing that you feel the need to still troll our boards.... It if you want to stand on our shoulders and call yourselves tall as most mental midgets do, by all means carry on.
  5. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree that this offense plays "right into the hands" of the 'Nole defense. The core concepts of the D will remain relatively the same under Kelly, and Auburn's attack legitimately gave the FSU defense more problems by far than any other offense it faced last year.

Now, you mention that "running up the middle" is the way to exploit the FSU defense. Florida's offense under Roper will put more emphasis on a "power, downhill" running game than other variances of the spread you see around the country; something Florida has the personnel in place to do. Between Powell, Taylor and Jones, along with Driskel's skill set, we are a threat to get tough yards up the middle and to get outside and bust big plays on the perimeter.

Also, Muschamp's defenses have had a history of giving elite quarterbacks problems (EJ Manuel, Tebow in '07, John Football, etc...) in the past. It's true that Quinn ran the defense in 2012, and that Durkin is the one who has run it since Dan went to Seattle, but you better believe that Muschamp is involved in the planning of each game. Florida will have by far the best defense Florida State sees this season. Don't be surprised if Winston struggles to a degree in that game.

Louisville and Florida are Florida State's biggest threats this season, especially if we go to Tallahassee relatively healthy. You don't have to believe that, but it's true.
    gator_n_sc likes this.
  6. mharris34

mharris34 Member

Responding in a thread about FSU is not trolling.

And 4th place is not an afterthought. I think I've given UF as much respect if not more than anyone else would. You didn't beat a single team that went to a bowl last year. No one would objectively slot that game above road games at Miami (who was better than you last year) and at Louisville on a Thursday night. And I've already explained the "unknowns" about the opener in Dallas and why that would rank up there as well. Like I said in a previous post, if Florida can prove they are an upper echelon team when they go into Tuscaloosa, I'll be sold. They don't even have to win, just look they have a much improved offense against a defense that is similar to ours.
    Blackblack likes this.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

But you have to understand, to a few here, a 2-10 Kentucky team is better than a 7-6 Pitt, BC or Maryland team...
    mharris34 likes this.
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

You're giving more respect to an Okie State team that returns only 8 starters and the fewest number of letterman in all of FBS. I'll be surprised if they beat .500 in conference play let alone stay with FSU past the coin flip.
  9. regator

regator Active Member

It's not the bottom half that makes the sec strong.
    It's the top half that separates them in most years.
  10. horanic

horanic Active Member

Fact checker again...Pitt and Syracuse both needed last minute comebacks to eek out 3 and 4 point wins versus mighty Minnesota and Bowling Green. Maryland lost to mighty Marshall. How many bowls are there anyway? The fact that you have to use filler (and Im being generous) like Maryland, Pitt and Syracuse to justify your schedule is sad...really sad. Pitt, Maryland and Syracuse may be great teams...just not in football...in basketball. How did that ACC basketball schedule treat you? I thought so. UF was a decimated team and at 4-8 and essentially we were the team you feared the most. That says it all.

As for my ranking you could say last year or this year...the only thing that changes is what I hope will be UF's ranking...the rest is the usual ACC garbage.
  11. coleg

coleg Active Member

I also have a pretty healthy respect for Gundy and think he's as good or better as his conference competition.
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Are you really that stupid to believe Miami was better than us? We should their performance. We gave that game away with unforced turnovers. Use some logic at least when responding.

Not to mention Florida has more talent then those teams combined!
  13. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Quit playing the dramatic card; nobody believes that.
  14. gator_n_sc

Worm I just spent the last 10 pages or so trying to explain to them what you meant by FSU not having the best defense rank in the acc let alone in cfb and alas here we are and he still says fsu was ranked top 5 above VT.

And also Maryland, pitt and Syracuse are on par with a kentucky, miss st., and ole miss, in fact I would even say the Mississippi schools have passed them slightly.

Also worm, do you think kentucky would be 2-10 in the acc? I reckon they would be bowl eligible over there, not great but a .500 team. Kentucky is only a 2-10 team because they are UF, lsu, UGA, mizzou, USCe, BAMA, Auburn, a&m, etc. Punching bag of our conference. And I know, or assume you wouldn't disagree that those teams I just listed are better than almost all of those teams in the acc, w/fsu and sometimes clemson being the exception.
  15. OaktownGator

I respect Gundy too. But with seven new starters on each side of the ball, and 45% of last year's team gone, it doesn't really matter. There is no way they don't take a big step back this year. Next year, I would expect them to come back strong with a much more experienced team, hungry to make up for ths year. But they'll have it tough this year.
  16. mharris34

mharris34 Member

It's not that I necessarily think okie state will be a better team. It's a combination of several things that I went over. The original statement wasn't who will be the best teams, it was which are the "scariest games" to FSU fans. Also, the UF game is in Tally, and despite your win there two years ago, it still makes it feel less "scary" to me, especially with a quarterback like Winston. I'd certainly rather play you there than in the Swamp.
  17. gator_n_sc

The only time you've beat us the in the last 3 years we had to play our 3rd string qb. The 1 time we had a healthy #1 qb? A drubbing in tally. :)

If we make it to tally with a healthy QB, that should scare the shit out of you.
  18. mharris34

mharris34 Member

UF was without their starting quarterback only 1 time in the last 4 games. That was last year.
  19. OaktownGator

I get what you're saying. I just think the fear is based more on Okie State's recent past than their current situation. Also, whatever unknowns/question marks you have pale in comparison to Okie State, which has question marks throughout their two deep.

You do have a good point on home field advantage, particularly having the ACC crew at home.
  20. gator_n_sc

In 2011, brantley was injured before the end of the first half, and although it was an ugly game, he had almost as many yards passing when he left the game than fsu had total offense in the entire game.

When he was replaced.. it. Was with our 3rd string true freshman brissett.

I didn't use the Meyer's last game against you because I was just using champ BUT If you want to start comparing that one sided 6 year ass whooping we certainly can.