Help me get started

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I'm planning 8 reps at higher weights as opposed to more reps with less weight. But then again, I don't really know what I'm doing.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,328
    You're young. Trust me, just about anything will work for you. Just do it. But if I had to choose between 5-10 reps and, say, 15-20 reps, I'd take the former just about every time.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    If you want to test your maxes try testing out a weight you think you can handle for 5 reps. You can then plug the results into an online calculator to give you an idea of what your max is. There is a calc on bodybuilding.com, it will probably be a little high so if you want to work at 80% max I would actually start at 70% and work up from there.

I think it is a really good idea to get at least a clue as to where your strength is so you can plan your workouts intelligently.

8 reps is nice middle ground, my workouts generally work in rep ranges from 3-12. Occasionally I will go higher but its rare.

You really just need a simple routine, and make sure you dont overdo it and jump in too fast. That just leads to injuries or being too sore to keep up with it.
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Thanks guize. I like this forum. Like I read what one you guys posted, it's kind of a progress chart, and keeps you kind of obliged to stick to it since you are putting it in the public eye. At one point last year I noticed I was looking bigger than normal, I weighed in at 195, the heaviest I've ever been, but 185 is my standard weight.

I'm going to try the five rep thing tonight. If I find a weight I can do 5 times, and I think I can do 3 sets and no more, should I stick with that for a few weeks?
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Where you are at right now you can probably go up every workout so long as you dont start too high. You want to be making progress every time in the gym so you either want to increase reps or weights. Lets say you do 3x5 this week then next week either go up 5 pounds and shoot for 3x5 again or do the same weight and try to get 3x6.

There is a routine on the bb.com forums where you pick a weight and use the same one for 5 weeks going up 1 rep a week from 5-10. Once you get 10 for your 3 sets you increase the weights and start over at 5 then repeat.

Just make sure whatever you decide to do stick with it for a little while before you change things up. So many people get training ADD and keep trying to change something before letting the first thing actually work.
  6. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    At some point you could look at some tested protocols. The Wendler protocol may be a good option.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,328
    One appealing feature of the Wendler protocol is what undergirds it, the four-way, upper-lower split. Some would call it the ultimate split. Just the right amount of exposure and recovery.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I like Wendler and use his program myself, however it can be slow to a novice or someone regaining lost strength. Probably better to start a linear program until you start stalling out then move to a 5/3/1 type program.
  9. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I still can't bring myself to go to the gym. My anxiety keeps me from some things. I prefer my own setting, so I picked up a dumbbell set yesterday. It's the kind with the screw on end piece so I can change weights. I did a full body workout I found online that had about 8 exercises, including dumbell squats, situps, kneeling row etc.. Felt really good afterwards. My "muscles" looked bigger, more pumped up immediately after.

I took c4 extreme 30 minutes prior. Holy crap. I felt jacked. I have no caffeine tolerence since I cut out soft drinks a while back. The niacin had my skin tingling. My "muscles" felt firmer, were more vascular. So there I was, jamming out to some really heavy metal, lifting dumbells in my room, jaw moving around like I was chewing gum. I looked like a crack head all wild eyed and bushy tailed. It was a sight.

Can't wait until tommorow.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Anxiety sucks man, sorry to hear that you have issues with it. At least you have found a way to workout and avoid the anxiety, which is definitely better than doing nothing at all. Its not like you need to go to a gym, they just usually have more equipment than an individual could house or afford. I bet if you keep digging online you will find lots of home routines that you can do with minimal equipment.

Be careful with the stims, they feel great and can be a bit addicting. And just like other caffeine products your body will adjust to them and require more to get an effect so after you have used them for a month or two its good to take some time off from them.
  11. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I'll keep that in mind. I'm more sore today than I was yesterday, is that normal? Especially my quads. I had a few/8 beers last night, maybe I didn't sleep well and that's the reason. I don't know.
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I am always more sore the second or third day from a workout than the day immediately after. Its called DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness, learn to love it, it is your friend.
  13. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Oh yeah, you are good to go, eventually you will get used to the volume of exercise and it wont be nearly as bad. Just got to push through the sore. I actually squat 3 days a week now so I can not remember the last time my legs were not already sore going into a workout. Working through muscle soreness is fine, working through injuries is not, so just make sure you can tell the difference.
  15. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Anxiety can be a problem for me as well. Don't want to get too mushy on you guys but I've been having problems with my ole lady as well. The best way I deal with it is a harcore workout at the gym. It's really the only thing I can do that makes me a feel a ton better. Not sure how other people cope with personal problems by eating a tub of ice cream and watching movies...I'd go nuts just sitting there and internalizing.
    How many of the posters here can actually see their abs? I was a portly (pretty much fat) 234 in July and am now down to 197 and looking as good as I have in quite sometime. I think I need to shed about 10 more pounds before working my abs. I've always read it will make my stomach look bigger (fatter) if I try to add muscle down there when I still have fat to shed. I'm thinking about signing up for crew to get some cardio going. I jog a couple miles a few times a week but it's just not that enjoyable for me.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,328
    ^ If jogging is not enjoyable, why do it ? Besides, exercise is an inefficient strategy for losing. But you're right about seeing your abs. Lose the fat and you'll see them in due time.

I can always see my abs. But this is because I've found my sweet spot for eating and exercise. It took me a number of years to find it. But it wasn't necessary for me to toil that long. I had simply fallen for, as so many continue to do, the silly notion that you can out-exercise over-eating.
  17. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I can only see my top 4 and just barely. Haven't been trying very hard to get much leaner though I've been the sams weight for a while and just been working on strength gains.

As to doing cardio I dont like running either but found I do like cycling and have been doing a good amt of that lately.
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,328
    When I say I can always see my abs, that allows for fluctuations of both fat and fluid. That means that sometimes my lower abs are slightly obscured by fat. But even when I lose the fat, I might have an etched six-pack in the morning, while dehydrated, but still the lower abs become blurry, later in the day as I retain fluid.
  19. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Got to love craigslist. Bought the weights, bars, and preacher curl bar for $50. Made an offer for $35 on the ironman bench w/curl attachment and picked it up as well. The bench adjusts for incline and decline.

[​IMG]
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Good stuff vgf. I was hoping you were keeping up with the workouts.