Help me get started

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
    You don't have a gut dude. Just keep working out to build some muscle and eating well and you will lean out in no time. You are already pretty lean just untrained from the looks of it.

Just keep doing what you are doing for now.
  2. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Cool. It was a gut to begin with, I had pot belly syndrome to start with. I hate it.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
    Skinny fat syndrome?
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
  6. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Your a big help man, thanks
  7. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    Lochte had a much more grueling schedule and that is why he "disappointed." I fyou take the very first race when both were fresh, Lochte smoked Phelps. Even Phelps said it himself that by Lochte doing the additional swims -- which this Olympics was a much harder schedule due to the timing of swims -- it gave him an edge.

Just lurking...

I do want to believe that junk food is good for you. i really do. I just know that I feel better when I eat clean. And once I eat poorly, I crave sugar and fat for a long time after.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
    Not that I think this thread is really the place to have this argument but what exactly does eating clean even mean? My sister claims that if she doesn't eat totally clean she instantly looks worse. And then gets mad at me for eating peanut butter in front of her. I also happen to eat wheat and sugar and fat regularly. But, I watch my intake and take an IIFYM approach to my meal planning and the results are looking good.

Its all about managing how you incorporate these things into your diet. If you plan appropriately there is a place for just about anything.
  9. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,322
    The real reason Lochte sucked:

http://hahajk.com/sports/swimmer-ryan-lochte-blames-losses-on-too-much-pre-olympics-michael-phelps/

Seriously, I'm not the guy who tells you how you have to eat in order to lose weight, optimize performance, etc. I'm the guy who tells you how you DON'T have to eat in order to ...

Obviously, you don't have to 'eat clean' to lose weight. And I think it's just as obvious that you don't have to 'eat clean' to win Gold Medals, world boxing titles, etc.

Now, there may be a biological basis for feeling better after 'eating clean' vs. other approaches. On the other hand, placebo effect is quite powerful. After all, we've been bombarded with admonitions to 'eat clean', lest we feel lousy. So, from that standpoint, not wonder we feel lousy when we don't!

To satiety, hunger pangs, etc., I don't begrudge people from eating in ways to effect the former and stave off the latter. But I do not believe it is necessary to deprive one's self of foods typically classified as 'junk.' Basically, I think it's fine and dandy to feel hungry now and again.

Note: I put 'eating clean' in quotes because (A) nobody seems to agree on what it constitutes and (B) I consider it a bit of a scam anyway.

But let me also stress that whereas I rise to challenge the food police, by the same token, I don't argue (at least very long) with people's strong eating preferences. Indeed, my latest client is a 'Certified Holistic Health Counselor.' So, I know shes going to eat her organic produce, pea protein and the eight different supplements she's taking. I do choose my battles carefully.
  10. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    I look at it as subjective philosophy...not objective science. Again, I like to experiment with different things, but I fully agree there is no "one size fits all" dietary approach.

A few things are pretty clear, though. Trans fats are bad. Too much food is bad. Nutrient dense food is better than empty calories. You're going to get more nutrient dense food with meat (preferably natural) and vegetables (preferably local)
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
    I refer to Alan Aragon when it comes to his take on "clean" eating.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

Its a long article with lots of good info. Here is part of that article on TFAs.

So, basically when it comes to the idea of "clean" eating the picture really isn't all that clear and no single food or food type can be looked at in exclusivity. Instead foods need to be looked at as part of an entire diet.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,322
    Painstaking research has confirmed that: (A) we're all going to die and (B) food tastes yummy.

I put trans fats in the same category as 'chemicals.' If anyone has an aversion to chemicals - since chemicals are all that food is - I just recommend that they eat less food overall.

Less food = fewer chemicals ingested. Look better nekkid + fewer chemicals = win-win! :joecool:
  13. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    I'm in 100% agreement with your (also Dream's) assertion that caloric deficit = weight loss. When I say eating clean, I simply mean that bad habits feed bad habits. Too much sugar makes me crave sugar. Too much alcohol makes me crave grease and sugar.

The term "eating clean" probably shouldn't be used as I have friends that take the term to a whole other level: no wheat, soy, gluten, etc.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,322
    kk, I hear you. We're all a little different. Me ? I quell my sugar cravings by eating sugar. And after I've eaten sugar I tend to crave something salty or savory, not so much more sugar.

On the other hand, eating a lot of sugar makes me sick of sugar. So, I tend to auto-regulate.
  15. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +357
    I wish I were like that. I could eat a cupcake store out of their entire stock. Or little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls. I have issues :)

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread. I've just been lurking. I love a good success story and it seems like there's a good one happening here.
  16. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I got on the scales last night. 177. Feels good, man.
  17. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
    Solid progress. You got a goal weight in mind?
  18. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I don't know how much more I should lose? I went about 2 or 3 weeks without weighing myself, but I could tell by my shrinking pot belly that I was loosing weight. I've walked around at 185 for years. I might try and lose 2 more pounds maybe.

I found a gym within walking/running distance from our extended stay. I'm going to start lifting today, so I'm expecting if I feed my muscles a steady diet of barbells, dumbells, and protien, that I would gain weight in a few weeks. But as far as body fat, as of right now, I'm happy where I'm getting to. I don't think my biceps grew much with my hotel routine, but the look bigger and more muscular now, I guess because of the fat loss. I like it.

-----

Another question I have is how much to lift. I haven't lifted in ten years, and didn't even lift a lot then. I read somewhere around 80% of my max. I don't have any max numbers, so what do I do this today, go see what I max out on my upper body exercises? I'm at a loss on where to start. I'll find the link of the workout I'm planning.
  19. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +259
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,322
    ^ Don't think you'll regret first getting lean before trying to add an appreciable amount of muscle. IMO, 'bulking and cutting' is an horrendous strategy.