Help me get started

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +231
    Hey guys, this is my first post in H&F.

Where to begin... Well, Tuesday I found out the company I work for is going under. Thankfully I found something to keep me busy for a little bit starting this Monday. Me and another guy are going out to Tuscon, Arizona for 6 weeks. It will be hotel life for six freakin weeks. The guy I am going with is someone who I don't really care to be around off the clock, so I was thinking an exercise regiment would definitely help pass the time.

I'm 6' 1" and weigh around 185. I'm 28 years old. I haven't really lifted any weights or been on an exercise program since high school. I want to start dieting and exercising. I have been in construction for the past 7 years, so I'm in a little better shape than someone who sits at desk all day and doesn't exercise after work. The only number that I can give you that I've lifted is a few years ago, we came across a leg press machine, and I did 900lbs, one time. My form was shitty, but I was still able to lock my knees and hold it up there. Other than that, I have no bench press numbers or anything like that. I HATE jogging. I have bad cardio.

And now there's this.. Me and my girlfriend have been a little rocky lately and I almost lost her last night. I need some postive changes in my life, and this, I believe, is a good start. One of my problems, which is now a big problem between us, is my smoking. I have been a pack a day smoker for 10 years. Not good, I know. As of our talk last night, I smoked my last cigarette this morning. I have officially stoped smoking. Boy, let me tell ya, IT SUCKS. With job issues, woman issues, and the process of quiting smoking, my stress level is out of this world. I really need an outlet.

So, a few questions..

If I work pretty hard at staying strict in my diet and exercise, will I see any results in six weeks?

I'm sticking to no fast food or soda for six weeks. What entrees and snacks should I put on my grocery list?

Do you have any recommendations on, or where I can find, a good well rounded workout?

..I don't know where to start. Please help. Sorry if I was rambling or didn't make sence in parts, I'm on my phone and also having an extreme nic-fit.

Thanks
  2. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +231
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Wow, a lot going on in that post. Hope things start looking up for you soon. And good job just getting the change going. Having been a traveling consultant for most of the past 8 years I must warn you that hotel life is rough.

Do you have any idea what the gym situation will be like in Tucson? From my experience most hotel gyms dont cut it when it comes to weights. What I tried to do as much as I could when I was in hotels was find a nearby health club and either sign up for free weeks or somehow make a deal with them so I could workout there for the weeks I was there without signing up and being locked in.

As far as what workouts to do you are really starting out as a novice so you could do something Starting Strength or one of its variations which is a barbell program. You start light on the weight but go up every workout. Here is a link.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

As far as hotel life goes diet will be much harder unless you are in an extended stay situation with a kitchen, I normally was not. If I was lucky enough to have a refrigerator I would make a grocery store run and purchase fruit and water but most meals I ate out with the rest of my team. You could always get things like tuna or microwaveable meals should you have a micro in the room. They wont be anything great but at least you will know what you are eating. If you do have to eat at restaurants just try to make the best choices available.

Oh and 6 weeks is plenty of time to see progress.

Let me know if there is any other info you need.

Good luck.
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +231
    Thanks man. It is an extended stay with a kitchen. I think the dieting will be easier, seeing that 3/4 days a week I survive off gas station snacks and fast food. A good thing, I guess, is that I don't eat a lot. I don't eat breakfast because I'm never hungry enough to make myself eat. I get by with a decent sized lunch and a big dinner, with snacks in between. I'm about to check out your link, thanks again.

Supplements.. Do I need them, or will diet and exercise be sufficient?
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Supplements are just that, supplements. They fill gaps if you need them to but if you get everything you need in your diet then you dont have to worry about it.
  6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +892
    Funny, on average, a person a week approaches me asking, knowing that I'm a fitness trainer and therefore asking me to promote their supplement or meal replacement program. And I politely inform them that I only endorse food and the eating of it.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +231
    The only thing I was thinking about taking was whey protein and possibly something for an energy boost.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Nothing wrong with either. I just drink coffee though and it seems to do the trick for energy. If you are looking to add whey protein check out dymatize and optimum nutrition brands they seem to taste tthe best imo.
  9. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Agreed... I read the skip breakfast thread and have been able to feel just fine with 2 coffees. One right when I wake up and the 2nd cup around 930-10:00, holds me over just fine even with a lunch time workout before eating my first real meal.
  10. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    Crossfit has been life changing for my wife and I. There must be a few Crossfit affiliates in the Tucson area, so it might be worth checking out. Here's why I advocate Crossfit:

• The community - working out solo is fine for a lot of people, but in crossfit you work out with a group of people, who are all getting their asses kicked together. It's a cool bonding experience based on cooperation and competition simultaneously. In my gym, one of the things I like best is that respect is given more to the people who work the hardest, not necessarily to the best athletes.
    • The motivation - working out in a group, knowing people are watching puts some pressure on you to squeeze every last bit of juice you have. I could never maintain the same intensity without the community, competition, and cooperation.
    • The variation - Crossfit in a nutshell is constantly varied functional movements executed at high intensity. Every workout is different, spanning different areas, providing training in strength, speed, balance, endurance, etc...You don't train to get good at just one thing. You train to be good at everything.
    • The results - I started off a little pudgy and able to do about 2-3 strict pullups. Now I can crank out about 15 strict pullups, or about 40 kipping pullups. Yesterday, I did a strict pullup with 80 pounds hanging from my waist. That's a pretty big jump from just a few pullups. All my lifts have gone up, including bench press, which is something we never really do in workouts. I've also lost a lot of fat, increased my endurance, and rehabbed a really jacked up knee after 2 ACL reconstructions. I'm finally getting my legs evened out and putting mass back on my quads.

I could talk a lot about why I love Crossfit, so I'll leave it at that. But if you really want results, I've seen some pretty remarkable transformations.

The downside of Crossfit:

• It's cultish - Some Crossfitters act like it's the only game in town. It's not, but for me it's the best option. It's certainly not for everyone, and it's not the only way to get fit.
    • It can be expensive - Some gyms (boxes) are overpriced.
    • Bad coaching - Getting a Level 1 Crossfit cert is really easy. I've worked out in a few gyms now, and I've worked with outstanding coaches every time. But I know there are some idiots out there who put people in unsafe situations. Crossfit is totally safe if you learn the right foundations and scale appropriately. It's up to coaches to help you do that.
    • Over-training - I think 3 days a week is a good goal, but depending on the workouts, I might go up to 5 days a week. I think it's better to space it out and make sure you do some lighter activities - walking, biking, swimming, light jogging. It's also huge to focus on joint mobility, and yoga seems great for that.

Good luck with it, and good luck with your girlfriend. It sucks when things go south, but your outlook will improve if you get yourself exercising. That will either a) make your girlfriend appreciate your positivity, or b) you'll be more secure and positive, so you won't hurt as bad over things you can't control.

Best of luck!
  11. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    I wouldn't waste money on supplements. I think people benefit more from the placebo affect than anything. Working out alone will cause your body to ramp up HGH and testosterone. Just go hit it!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +231
    Thanks guys. I think I have repaired the relationship thing, and being on my 3rd day of not smoking has really opened my eyes to my potential. It may sound hokey, but I feel like if can quit smoking, I can do anything! I'm in a pissy mood, earlier I really felt like throwing and/or breaking something, but instead I dropped down and did push ups till I cooled off. Thirty minutes later I again felt like breaking something, so I dropped down and did push ups. It helps, a lot.
  13. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    Stay away from the smokes. Good God, an awful habit. You just might lose everything. I think sometimes that's just what happens. Men quite often identify with their jobs, it gives them confidence and let's them know they're being a contribution and doing their part. So, with no work your at least temporarily undermined in that department. Dealing with an addiction blows. If you falter get in a program. Eat like a normal person. Don't over eat. Smaller portions are the key! Love yourself...Go Gators.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    Speaking of smoking, just thought I'd mention a recent study: 3.4% of work-related heart attacks are attributed to stress, 16% to lack of exercise and 34% to smoking!
  15. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Good to hear on the relationship thing. Like anything else, it requires work and dedication.

Good job on the smoking as well. Nothing builds confidence like changing what you thought could be unchanged.
  16. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +231
    Thanks, bud.

I'm kinda starting my diet today. I'm 6'1" and I just weighed myself. 183.7lbs using one of those truck stop electronic bathroom scales, lol. I don't know how accurate it was, but I did it twice and it gave me the exact same reading twice.

I'm on the a 30+ hr road trip so I couldn't eat the best, but this is what I had:
    1/3 bag of pork skins (4 servings per bag @ 130 calories/serving)
    plain roast beef sandwich from Arby's (400 calories?)
    bag of chips (my favorite kind made in Louisiana, that I can't find in Jax. Special occasion. 300 calories)
    a jack link's jumbo beefsteak (150 calories)

I didn't drink any calories. Would a 1000 cal/day diet help me lose some weight? I don't consider myself fat at all, but I would like to loose the layer of fat covering my abs. I'm happy with the rest of my body, weight wise.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +892
    1000 cal/day would have nearly anyone losing weight in a hurry. You don't need to lose weight in a hurry.

Tip: don't start at the beginning. Start at the end. Pretend you've gotten your abs. You intend to keep them. Did you get them through radical means and by just finding a way to eat a little less without feeling deprived ?
  18. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +231
    The thing is, this is usually how much I eat. Maybe more sometimes, but usually junk like a meal that consisted of two large fries.. or 3 bags of chips a day plus mountain dews. I never felt starved today, or felt very hungry. I ate another beefsteak. They were BOGO free.
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    At 1000 calories you would be on a huge deficit even without any exercise. At your height and weight you don't really want to try dropping a ton of weight bc you will look really thin everywhere by the time you see those abs.
  20. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I agree that 1000 calories is very low. I am 6'3", 188 (today), and the BMR calculators come back at nearly 2000 calories. (BMR is the amount of calories just to exist, no accounting for activity).

That said, in my experience:
    I wouldn't concentrate solely on calories and scale weight. You will get the scale to move down, but you may not be pushing towards the "body image" you are thinking of. Sure, some fat will go, but so will muscle.

When possible, I would try to mix in some veggies, fruit, and whole food (single ingredient). I subscribe to calorie balance, but still. I feel that the body has far less to use with chips, fries, and fast food sandwiches compared to lean meats, veggies, and fruits. I have nothing to back that up though. I also understand that eating well while traveling SUCKS.