Helmet rule

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Emmitto, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    So who is ready to see this go away? I get the idea. Make sure you're all buckled up, it's a safety issue. And it did appear that a few years ago far too many players were more concerned with looking cool and lids were popping off constantly. They had the bottom straps flapping, or maybe just one snapped.

But now you rarely see one come off that wasn't the result of extreme or flukish physics. In our most recent game (such as it was) Solo's helmet came off and he had to miss a critical play per the rule. It wasn't because he wasn't being attentive to his gear. It just happens sometimes. It no longer serves a purpose except to give an unfair advantage to the other team. Half the time it's the QB. He's just going to buckle it up the exact same way it was when it came off, because it was on properly all along. But hopefully it wasn't 3rd down, or 4th and goal in the last minute, or some other crucial time.

I'd just like to see it axed completely. Or give a warning or two, maybe one per half, before enforcing any type of penalty. Or get like three per game before it's a play off or any other penalty. Or make the penalty/punishment contingent on both straps being properly secured. Or don't penalize a guy until it happens more than once. If it comes off twice even though everything is right, then that's just an overabundance of bad luck. It should rarely happen.

I guess I'm saying is this really a problem to be addressed? Perhaps you could argue that the rule did indeed solve the problem. But now it's strictly punitive. There has to be a better way to do it than make a team's only playmaker come out of the game on 3rd down in the last minute of the game when in reality his equipment was exactly as it should be. In fact, you might argue that as a defender (or even an offensive player) really getting in there on a guy's helmet and getting it to come off is encouraged with this rule. Just try to make it slick.

Sometimes it's a good thing that your helmet comes off. If it were permanently attached and the face mask gets caught on a knee or whatever and bends you in ways you simply don't bend, THAT would be dangerous.

Solo had to miss a play even after a TO was taken. You don't even have to do that when you get ACTUALLY injured. Imagine the uproar when this finally happens in a high profile game and that team loses.
  2. RaginCajunGator

RaginCajunGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    They should come up with a better way of attaching the straps. Until that happens we will continue to see this happen. What about the type of straps that are used for a respirator?
  3. swangator

swangator Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    This ridiculous rule is very indicative of the idiocy of the brains coming up with this nonsense. You are 100% correct in your assessment that kids failing to buckle their damn chin straps to look "cool" instigated this and there was indeed a ridiculous number of helmets flying off. Simple solution: flag players for having chin straps flailing about and not having them buckled. Very. Simple.
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,329
    No thanks. I'm not interested in penalizing lack of discipline as long as I'm a fan of this team. Too many silly penalties week in and week out already.