Heart Surgery: $100k in US, <$2k in India

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by corpgator, Jul 29, 2013.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    6 months ago I went to Thailand for a biopsy and the total cost for surgery and 3 days stay...$4300.00. The care was outstanding and in many ways exceeded my experiences at US hospitals. Some of the homerism displayed by some really makes no sense to me. The facts are that, at least through my experiences, that you cant beat hospitals such as those in Thailand or India and am sure the same can be said for Singapore etc.
  2. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +712
    I've been to Delhi and while there is a ton of poverty, the people who are upper class live very well and there are certainly clean, great hospitals dedicated to serving them. You would probably end up getting the same care you get here. Honestly, going was an awesome experience. Here is the perfect example of how cheap things are there. My bud bought a pair of indian shoes for 5 dollars for a wedding we went to. He ended up tearing the sole away from the shoe through his hijinks. We all told him to just go buy a new pair, after all they were 5 freaken dollars. He said nah I saw a cobbler on the walk to market and they repaired the shoes to good as new for 25 cents.
  3. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    That is great intimigator and I've also heard good things about Thailand. But those of us on the right get beat up when we mention that in manufacturing, labor always moves to lower cost areas. We are then accused of being "Un-American" or anti-union. But when some of us stick up for American docs and the US Health delivery system, it is homerism? What is it?

What makes this country great are our choices. And with Obamacare, our choices will be greater or less?: And our health care insurance will be more or less?

We will soon find out, won't we?
  4. intimigator1

Ratings Received:
    +68
    I am not nor will ever support ObamaCare and wish for the days when Americans were proud of being the best and the cheapest. Not too long ago that changed. It changed when so called deep thinkers thought that gas prices should be like the other countries or when a pair of tennis shoes became the thing at $200.00. We used to have that arrogance of being better and now all we do is complain about other countries instead of doing it better and cheaper.

I have read almost all of Tim Dorseys books and in one there is a commencement address by the main character Serge. Although the books are very funny the speech made a great point....if you buy a taco and it gets knocked to the ground then dont waste your time trying find out who or what caused it and make a big deal out of it. Just move on...forget about it and next time do a better job holding on to it. My point being, its time for America to be America and stop this idea that we as Americans have to be like others. We can have cheaper healthcare but we simply accept or assume that it is the tops in the world...its just not so.
  5. intimigator1

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Let me add, homerism is a term used to define a narrow philosophy that cannot accept any others. Patriotism is support of a lifestyle and to me it is Un-American to accept corporate greed to the extent that it falls on the backs of people paying premiums for healthcare that far exceed the ability to pay. For the first time in my life i actually paid cash for major surgery and didnt leave the hospital wondering how to pay the oncoming bills and pay the premium that month also. No collection calls, no insurance disputes....tell me that there isnt a better way than that.
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    Anecdote:

I started whitewater kayaking about seven years ago and my instructor at the time had a trip set up to India to repair his hip (he could barely walk and anyone that had kayaked knows how important your hips are too the short). He priced/assessed US care and numerous countries and finally settled on having the work done in India. He paid less than a tenth of what he would have paid here and said the facilities were every bit as good. He had a great outcome and said he would recommend it to anyone.

I've never tried it but will consider it if I ever have a situation where the cost implications are that overriding. Besides, he got a built in trip to India for doing it too.
  7. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    My heart surgery was 100k in 2001.
  8. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    My Doctor is Indian and he is just awesome. He is the funniest guy I know....and I mean ha, ha funny not the other kind of funny. Seriously sometimes I think he could make a better living as a commedian than as a doctor.

I swear once while giving me a prostate exam he told me, "I don't condone smoking but if you feel like you need a cigarette after this feel free to go outside and light one up." That is just the way he is, he lightens up even the most stressful situations with a little bit of humor. Once he walked into the examining room looking at my chart and remarked, "Jesus Christ you must get tired of me telling you all the shit that is wrong with you."
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Taking $2 as the minimum wage in India, they could save every penny and have enough for surgery in a little over 2 years.

Someone in the US would need over 5 years earning the minimum to get pay for it.

I don't like outsourcing labor, and I agree that things will always have to cost more here, but there's a difference between charging a fair price and price gouging, which is what is happening in the health industry in the US.
  10. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    My guess is if we had a free market for medical services you'd see comparative prices to say India (after adjusting for currency). We have plenty of distortions increasing the cost.

And that is just on the back end. I'm not sure what government benefits Indian people have, but a minimum wage earner is bringing in a lot more than minimum wage in the US due to benefits.
  11. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Agreed, and pretty obvious, well, to those of us with brains in our skulls.

Remember how much Lasik used to be?
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +515
    This!

Unfortunately our system is becoming more and more fascist...