Health Insurance Renewal

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Dec 2, 2013.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +720
    So a couple of weeks ago I posted that my increase on our companies health insurance was not as bad as I expected.

Well now I have no idea if that is the situation. I show up to my agents office today to provide the signatures to continue our grandfathered policies that supposedly went up a little more than 10%. What do I find out?

The renewals sent out by Florida Blue are all wrong for those in my situation. We were told to shred the renewal as Florida Blue is scrambling to get the corrected renewals out thanks to the mess of obamacare. I now have my family and 5 full time employees that are now sitting in limbo as I have no idea what my costs are going to be now.

WE ARE LESS THAN A MONTH FROM THE NEW YEAR AND I HAVE NO RENEWAL POLICY. I HAVE EMPLOYEES THAT ARE EXPECTING TO HAVE INSURANCE LIKE MY FAMILY JANUARY 1 AND I HAVE NO ANSWER RIGHT NOW FOR THEM. I AM GOING TO END MY RANT HERE ON OBAMACARE AS I BELIEVE THIS IS A FAMILY FRIENDLY SITE...
  2. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    The fun is just beginning.
  3. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    I renewed ours early this year to avoid changes caused by the new laws. The plan and the premium stayed about where it was last year. Not that it is a steal or anything. We have 3 employees including myself 1 under a single plan and 2 under a family plan. The premium is $40,000. a year with a $3,000. deductible. That is here in Gainesville where it is cheaper than some places like Miami.
  4. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    What will happen after the first when millions may be without insurance, that had theirs canceled?
  5. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    If they didn't sign up for a new plan, they'll be subject to a penalty of $95.

That is, if they file a tax return. And only if that tax return shows a refund.

Otherwise, ZERO enforcement.
  6. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Not quite. Don't forget that Obama waved his magical hand and changed the deadline to 3/31.
  7. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    Just what kind of law is obamacare?
  8. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    What if the system is such, that they were unable to get insurance and they have a huge health claim after the first, will obama be responsible for their bill?
  9. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    It's only $95 if your AGI is $9,500 or less (which isn't very many people). The vast majority of people without insurance will pay 1% of their AGI. And, of course, those charges get much worse in 2015 and 2016.

And, while the IRS hands are somewhat tied when it comes to enforcement, the debt will NEVER go away. It can't be discharged in bankruptcy and it is collectible against an estate. The IRS will get their money eventually.

Once the general public really start feeling the wrath of this law in 2016 it's really going to get ugly.
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +720
    No kidding!
  11. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    Good point about the penalty increasing with AGI.

But let's face it, the folks who would be punished by the debt never going away aren't really likely to have an estate when they pass.

There's a lot of folks toward the lower end of the spectrum who won't get an Obamacare policy, won't pay the penalty and who won't have estates to pay it at death.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013