Health Care Organization Profits

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Jul 18, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    In the 60s most companies only offered "major medical" which means insurance only kicked in for surgery, hospitalization etc. Same with individual policies. As benefit plans became more generous and unions put the screws to the auto industry and others, all of a sudden there was an expectation that all health care should be "free". That is one reason why costs have soared. It it is free, some abuse the system. Of course the explosion of the pharma/med device industry has added to costs as most of us want the latest and greatest.

Until we as consumers are involved "financially" with our health care costs, they will continue to increase.
  2. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Nothing BS about my post. What you don't get, is that they aren't competing with the Feds. Simple stuff here. It isn't competition when the Feds point a gun to your head to collect more money to write more checks. Checks, by the way, that would bounce sky high if a private company wrote them.
    Wise up, or be honest, whichever of the two applies.
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    what is this crap of purchasers of insurance policies expecting all medical care to be free? That is a load of crap statement if there ever was one.

People purchase(that means they pay money---in other words it isn't going to be free medical care ) insurance policies with the expectation that the insurance company will cover what the insurance company promises to cover as written in the policy.

Gatordowneast---that means policy owners aren't freeloaders. They are in fact people willing to pay for a service as defined by contract(insurance policy). Insurance companies make money as I wrote in a previous post by the 3 main means listed below
    ---sale of policies
    ---paying as little out(in other words the insurance companies will look for every means possible to not pay coverage for a policy owners medical care. Or delay paying it). This has been abused by insurance companies over the years in their constant push for short term profits. Problem is---it may work in the short term. But over the years people smarten up to the fact that they are paying for a service that the insurance companies all too often balk in covering. Result--people changing insurance company, going entirely to self pay, etc)
    ---investments with money in company accounts.

These people are honest, hard working people who have gotten so severely ripped off by corporate model of healthcare that they are so desperate that they become willing for govt to become more involved. For people to make that leap of desperation to allowing govt(inefficient, bureaucratic, etc govt) become more involved in healthcare should shout out to idiots who blindly adhere to corporate ideas to say "my God, the corporate healthcare system is so screwed up that a govt alternative starts looking like a reasonable solution".

your blind faith in corporate Kool-Aid is indeed sad.

Damon Killian endorses corporate healthcare
    [​IMG]
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    It is the mindset and it is created by not actually writing the check. Many do understand that it is not free but many others just expect their copay and small payment for services now and never see their employer pay 50-100% of the premium or their difference if it is less than 100%...

Medicare is the worst as most do not understand their employer never sent enough money in their name (employee/employer) to cover the benefits promised...
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    smh

And we wonder why the family unit is falling apart.

Give me a break that government is "forced to cover all of those the insurance industry doesn't want". It is this type of thinking people use to justify the redistribution of their kids and grandkids wealth by the force of government.

And it is SAD!
  6. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I feel screwed in that I pay taxes so a POS like Allen West gets medical care from the govt.

---------
    1. Taxpayers pay taxes and a bunch of people get their medical taken care of via govt medical(military, vets, Indians, seniors, handicapped, politicians,very young, etc).
    2. The same taxpayers either buy their own health insurance or get it via employer. and get screwed by insurance companies denying service, delaying service, etc

Taxpayers doubly screwed--pay for others to get decent medical care AND getting screwed by corporations for medical care they(taxpayers) paid money to insurance company to cover(but companies all too often renege)

many realize the health insurance company product really, really sucks. And are simply looking for some other way to pay for health care---even if it be via increased taxes so they can get same medical as military, vets, politicians, etc.
  7. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    For-Profit Insurer = 20% overhead + 4.7% profit

Medicare = 3% overhead

I don't get the love for a for-profit middle man that skims 25% of every health care dollar to go to overhead and profits.

It absolutely makes no fiscal sense.

What I do get is a knee jerk reactive defense of all things privatized.

Taking the middle man out does not equal Gov run health care, it just means Single Payer

Privatization is clearly higher on the totem pole then fiscal responsibility for conservatives, and I would suggest that belief has been bought and paid for by corporate America.
  8. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Old, never said anyone was a freeloader, though we both know there are tens of millions of freeloaders in the good old USA. My point was that health insurance used to be for hospitalization and surgery and people paid doc visits and meds out of pocket. Just like auto insurance covers accidents and theft but auto owners pay for oil changes, repairs, car washes, maintenance etc.

Health insurance gradually evolved to a model where copays for doc visits and meds were next to nothing and people grew accustomed to little out of pocket expense so if given a choice of name brand vs generic...guess what they chose even though the insurers cost was may more for the name brand. it was someone else's money, not theirs...in their mind.

I've had many in the health care delivery system tell me the same thing...until the consumer is involved in actually "paying for a substantial part of their own health care", costs will rise higher than the rate of inflation. With Obama care, costs for those of us actually paying the tab, will sky rocket and of course those requiring their neighbors to pay their way, will see their costs go down. When you and I are stroking the checks, guess what...we become better consumers. We get second opinions. We turn down unnecessary procedures. We choose generics.
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Old, you should be ashamed of yourself for your comment about Alan West. He bravely served his country. I don't agree with "libbie veteran's politics" (though admittedly, there aren't many) but have no problem with them receiving their health care courtesy of taxpayers as without our military, none of us would have the freedoms and opportunities we enjoy. Shame on you.
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    Again, this is comparison between the 2 middle men:

For-Profit Insurer = 20% overhead + 4.7% profit

Medicare = 3% overhead

Roughly 25% of every health care dollar in the private sector goes to non health care related expenses, 3% with Medicare

Taking the middle man out does NOT mean Gov health care, it just means one Single Payer, not focused on profits, huge salaries, advertising, etc...
  11. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    You just typed this? Really? How embarrassing.
    Tell me, how is Medicare doing wrt unfunded liabilities.

Seriously. Stop while you are 14000 miles behind.
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    I get some despise those who serve/have served/are serving to protect this country but okay...
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    Exactly.

The military is the one group that should get insurance benefits from the taxpayer IMO...
  14. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +349
  15. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    that's because its underfunded, and does not deflect from the fact that for-profit middle men skim roughly 25% from the top

this pedestal you guys put the private insurance sector on, when they don't even ensure the very population that actually needs health care the most (elderly), and can deny coverage and shed customers that hurt their bottom line, is laughable

imagine if they actually had to cover older people, they would go under in a second
  16. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    So the govt can better manage....provide better care and opportunities....make better decisions---than private, for-profit companies?? The only reason they don't now is because they are...."underfunded"??? IE--we need more taxes to make them perform better??

I suppose given their stellar record of efficiency, productivity, and prudent use of money---the govt most certainly can provide the best option.:no:

Give us all a friggin break will ya. Thankfully most people in the country have better sense that believing that kind of garbage.
  17. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    It's no longer "insurance" by definition if one is already sick.
  18. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +891
    The much heralded and standard silver plan will still leave one paying 30% of their medical costs, up to their stop loss amount, whatever that will be. The standard now is 80% payment by insurance, so if the cost is lower( which I doubt), you will still be screwed as you will have to pay more of your expenses. There are plans that will pay 80 or 90% of your cost, but you can bet those premiums will be a lot higher.
  19. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I referred to Allen West because he was a disgrace to the uniform.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who serve in our military who serve honorably---be they GOP, Dem, con,Lib, black, white, etc, etc.
  20. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    we are talking about health care INSURERS, not health care providers and doctors, etc...but since you said it, how do 16 other countries have better outcomes then the US without spending near the amount, and all being Single payer?

Link