Hawaii football may be going away...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorr4life, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    Remember when Ty Detmer went out there and laid an egg against them after winning the Heisman? They have traditionally been the ultimate trap game for anyone who gets a little too relaxed and distracted while lounging around waiting for the game to be played.
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +541
    UH is in a really tough position. The costs to run the football program are much higher than other schools due to travel (not just players but all the equipment). It's expensive for them to travel to away games and it's tough to get other quality programs to come to Oahu to play them for the same reason.

That has been a major issue of them getting into a major power conference and having the kind of home schedule that is going to attract fans. Part of what makes it even more difficult is that schools in major conferences are going to expect a member school to sell 6,000-8,000 tickets to road games, but it's so cost prohibitive for UH fans to travel, they aren't going to sell many tickets to away games at all.

Not being in a major conference has really hurt them and ticket sales. You're not going to sell many tickets playing conference games against Nevada and Wyoming. They do have home OOC games against Washington and Oregon State, which should sell tickets, but you get the point. Last season, when they played USC, they sold over 39,000 tickets, so they will sell tickets to major games.

In addition, they have a major issue with TV. The Pac-12 has a huge disadvantage being 3 hours behind the East coast. Hawaii is 6 hours behind and would need to start all home games by 3pm local time just to get on late evening TV on the East Coast.

UH is a relatively "poor" school compared to most public land grant universities. There are about 20,000 students at the Manoa campus and they only have an endowment of $176 million. By comparison, Mississippi State has over double the endowment. Their total athletic operating budget is about $30 million for 21 sports, compared to over $100 million for UF for I believe 19 sports. Of that $30 million UH budget, they spent almost $8 million on travel ($5.6 million for their teams and $2.2 million for subsidies for teams traveling there). Their athletic facilities are pretty bad. Aloha Stadium is a wreck (owned by city, not UH).

This is only my own personal opinion, but this may be the one case where I think the NCAA (and the member institutions) should help subsidize the UH athletics and college football program. Not to upgrade the UH facilities, but just to level the playing field on travel costs.
  3. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    True, plus BYU was Hawaii's biggest (unilateral) rival, so they often gave the Cougars a fight.
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,999
    Hawaii is in the Mountain West.
  5. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
  6. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798
    ohhh, nothing.
  7. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,999
    Got ya, my bad. I agree with that point.
  8. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,999
    Seems every time Hawaii plays at home a Canes game breaks out:

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 6
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,468
    Well played, Tilly. Ha
  10. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Looks like they have a very nice stadium.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    Everyone involved with losing June Jones is responsible for the current state of affairs. There was interest when he had them at least somewhat competitive. West coast football fanatics like me loved getting to watch a late game with an always colorful offense, which helped ratings, so ESPN would carry the games (not that there was many alternatives for the 11:00 PM EST and later time slots). But they're no longer of interest to anyone.

UH football died the day Jones left. They fired the AD as the scapegoat, but that mistake goes all the way to the top.

You've got to feel pretty unwanted to leave Honolulu for a job in Dallas, regardless of pay.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Actually, looks like they draw more fans than the Hurricanes do.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +232
    And man it was always fun to watch the Haka:

• Like Like x 3
  14. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,468
    I dub you our best rival poster, stand and be recognized. We may have to implement labels for our rival posters. Never seen you in a single argument. Certainly never the aggressor, if so. I'm sure Im not the only one here who thinks that. Then again, are we really a rival? (;
  15. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +232
    I feel honored that you would suggest that. I was accepted to many schools in 77, but UF and SC stood out to me. SC gave me a partial scholarship and credits for one year of math. My dad wouldn't even consider UF because of out of state costs, but man those UF girls (feel free to start a photo thread, an old man can dream.)

I pull for UF except when playing SC, or when the outcome of a game would hurt SC. My order of hate is:

- UGA
    - OSU
    - FSU

Though when FSU wasn't relevant (raping coeds), OSU is my all time hatred, and I have personal stories should anyone want to hear them.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,016
    I take it you went to those bowl games against OSU when Holtz was coach?

I think most folks here are aware the Bucknuts have more than their share of over the top obnoxious fans, but we're always up for some good stories.
  17. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +232
    My opinion of FSU and OSU was formed the same night, November 5th, 1988. The company I worked for had recently purchased a company from Ohio, and closed their engineering offices, and offered relocation for engineers willing to move to SC.

I had invited some of the guys from Ohio that moved down to a party I was having to watch #15 South Carolina take on #5 FSU. One girl showed up with her drunken brother and his obnoxious wife, decked out in OSU gear. His wife asked who was playing when she walked through the door and say the game on. I said SC and she said, 'Oh, I hope they lose.'

The game was pretty bad, FSU showing off their thuggery. At one point an FSU guy had Todd Ellis, our QB, in a horse collar swinging him around like a rag doll, and everyone watching was yelling for the refs to blow the whistle, well, except the OSU fans, they were laughing. The refs really took their time, and after they did the guy stood over Ellis taunting him. This was a couple of years prior to the Miami Rule, so no flag was thrown.

SC lost 59-0.

Ever since then I have delighted in every misery that comes to either program. The back to back whippings during the Holtz era was wonderful.

You guys trouncing of them in the NC was a joy to behold. The fact they've never beaten an SEC team is awesome. Wait, they did beat Arky, but that win was negated by sanctions.

I was cheering with the Virginia Tech guys at a bar when they gave FSU their first ACC loss.

I pull for Clemson when they play FSU or OSU.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,016
    Unfortunately, they sound like too many Bucknut fans.

Completely understand. And the SEC ownership of them is a thing of beauty. No fan base deserves it more.

Hope you had the chance to rub the bowl victories in the face of those yahoos that insulted your hospitality.
    • Agree Agree x 1