1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Have you ever changed your favorite pro teams?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Gwinnett, Oct 21, 2013.

1. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Lol your telling me :eek:
  2. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +942
    As a Phillies fan, when I lived in Atlanta I would pull(not cheer) for the braves..just because it made going to the games more interesting.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  3. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    when the raiders left LA, I changed to pulling for san diego -- they suck almost every year, but I still watch their games
  4. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    nope dolphins and braves, well i did drop the colts when they fled in the middle of the night
  5. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I get what you're saying and I probably should have expressed our debate/conclusion differently. Of course, I can't imagine a Yankees/BoSox fan torching all their gear and switching to the Rays. Just like I wouldn't expect a Packers fan to trash all the love for green and yellow in exchange for red and pewter. However, when Rays or Bucs are not playing your "childhood" favorite and the game does not directly affect your "childhood" favorite's ultimate goals, then I would expect you to at least support your new hometown team. For instance, wearing a Packers jersey to a Bucs/Broncos game is asinine. College is a different story altogether. Those allegiances should never change - unless you attend another college and adopt that school to replace the former.
  6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,159
    As long as Romo is their quarterback, this is a healthy way to live.
  7. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,899
    Let's see...Dallas Cowboys with Don Meredith and Bob Hayes, Baltimore Orioles with Brooks and Frank Robinson, New Orleans Jazz with Pistol Pete Maravich.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. bmfgator

bmfgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    Dolphins to Jags. Lakers to Magic. Always the Cardinals!
  9. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,948
    Spent my first 6 years in the Cincinnati loved the reds and the dodgers as spring training was in Vero beach where I moved too. Dodgers left us I hate em now. Go reds!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,412
    Baseball: Yes. Grew up outside Tampa a Pirates fan becasue my best friend was from Pittsburgh (and the Rays weren't in town yet). Quit watching baseball for a long time, getting back into it. Now a Braves fan due to location. Yankees are a VERY close second right now because of my cousin (he is in AAA with them). Would trade all for whatever team my cousin ends up on if he gets called up/traded.

NBA: Probably. Magic fan since they started. Now, more a fan of "good" basketball. Like baseball, I quit watching the NBA for a long time. Just couldn't stand the direction the game had taken. Just quit caring about the Magic. Now, I am indifferent towards all teams.

NFL: No, but definately not as fanatic as I used to be. Bucs will always be my team due to memories growing up.
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    I think you are much more likely to change teams when you dont grow up with a Pro team in your area or dont have a family history of cheering for one team. I grew up in Fla when there were no Pro teams and only a few teams ever got tv coverage.

NBA -Only a casual NBA fan since basketball was never that big in Fla. That changed when the Heat came along, now a big fan (attended games in the old Miami arena long before LBJ arrived).

NFL -Grew up watching the Packers and later the Redskins on tv so I was a big fan. Never have been a big Dolfan tho, probably because they beat the Redskins in the SB and I had to listen to all their bandwagon fans at the time. Since I live in S Fla, I would like them to do well, but no biggie if they dont. Basically, I root for players in the NFL, not teams. I watch less and less NFL every year. If not for fantasy leagues and gambling, NFL would be far less popular imo.

MLB -As a kid one of the first books I read was about Hank Aaron, so I was a Braves fan and it stayed that way until Deon and the Chop arrived. Converted to the Marlins when they started and attended both of their World Series championships. However, I attended no games this year and didnt watch on tv. That wont change unless there is new management/ownership. Have several friends that feel the same. Root for the ex Marlins now, esp the Tigers.

NHL -never cared, never will and the Panthers arena is 15 minutes from my house. We get offered free tickets often, but have only been twice in all the years, spent the time in a skybox eating/drinking. I do watch Olympic hockey tho.
  12. jewood592

jewood592 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,305

Very similar to me. I would assume you are a native Floridian ad I am?

Grew up a braves, gators and dolphins fan. Stopped watching pro football after Marino retired. I actually have rooted against the dolphins since Marino retired just because of the way they pushed Shula out ad brought in Jimmy Johnson (whom I've never liked). Don't watch much baseball anymore but still pull for the braves when I do. I am almost exclusively gators sports these days:)
  13. peytiepie

peytiepie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    I have been a Boston Red Sox fan since the days of Yaz and Jim Longborg and a Pittsburgh Steelers fan since the days of Terry Bradshaw and Franco Harris. If I have a NBA team it is the Boston Celtics since the days of Larry Bird and Robert Parrish. Of course, I have bben a Gator since birth...many years ago. I do root for whoever plays f$u each week.
    • Like Like x 1