Have you ever changed your favorite pro teams?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Gwinnett, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Gwinnett

Gwinnett Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    For those that like pro sports-- have you ever changed your allegiance for any team? And for what reason?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    Nope I never have and never will...I just believe in being loyal (hence the username) and sticking it out through good times and bad times....bandwagoners are fake people/fans IMO....and believe me being a Jaguars fan my loyalty is being tested these last couple years...I just have to keep telling myself every team goes through good and bad cycles and right now the Jags are definitely on the down slope....we are the butt of national (and even local) jokes almost daily, and probably deservedly so...I am also a Braves fan because I grew up in the 90s when they were ruling MLB and before the Marlins and Rays had a franchise...I secondarily cheer for the Marlins and Rays since I am a Florida boy but the Braves was, and always will be, my first love..that's why I am one of the few people on here who don't mind going to a game and doing the tomahawk chop lol...the only reason I can see someone changing teams "legitimately" is if they pack up and move to a city where that team is...but even then I wouldn't just stop cheering for my original team, I would just cheer for both..
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Wuerffel5220

Wuerffel5220 GC Hall of Famer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,696
    Baseball I've always been with the Yankees, even after living for years in Boston and Tampa Bay. College team has always been the Gators, though I added in Vandy when I went there for grad school, but always root for UF over Vandy in head to head.

Gave up on Pro Football and Hockey fandom all together. Didn't switch allegiances, just don't have "a team" in either.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,709
    Was a huge Dolphin fan growing up..not so much anymore. I would adopt a new Fla pro football team, but they all pretty much suck LOL.. I was also a hugh Braves fan growing up and am now just a fan.. I've really just followed college sports for the last decade or so.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jeffh11

jeffh11 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Love my Memphis Grizzlies, Tennessee Titans, StL Cardinals.. Always have and always will.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    My first memories of football I think I liked Miami. At some point I watched a replay of Florida beating Miami and was instantly a Florida fan.

Rays fan from day one although I'll root for Red Sox as my secondary team. Bucs, Lightning and Heat have always been my teams and that will never change.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    I was a White Sox fan in the 50s mainly because I played little league for the Sox, was a 2nd baseman and the Chicago had the best 2nd Base/SS combination in the business at the time in Nellie Fox & Louis Aparicio. Then in the 60s I became a Giants fan because I liked Mays & McCovey. Switched again to the Braves in the 80s because TBS carried all the games. Then the 90s rolled around and the strike year ruined my interest in pro baseball.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Gwinnett

Gwinnett Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Do you find it difficult rooting for the Tennessee based teams knowing that most/all are diehard UT fans? Just wondering how I would respond in that situation...
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    I dont know about him but I feel a little dirty knowing that I share a team with Hurricane fans.

I also, for whatever reason I can't even explain or comprehend, I still have sort of a soft spot for Cleveland Cavs even after Lebron left. I casually followed them because Im a Lebron fan but I've noticed I still like to see them win... and thats another weird one to share a team with OSU fans.
  10. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Nope... Ride or Die... Bucs, rays, lightning, magic.. historically, not the best of teams lol
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    I used to love the Cowboys back when they had Emmitt... now I don't care about them at all. I just moved to DFW too, still don't care if they win or lose.
  12. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    other than a few good years, thats a lot of death
  13. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    Its not easy being a Tampa Bay fan.
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +554
    Allegiances tend to wax and wane. Grew up in S. Florida a Yankees fan because I was born in New York. Also a Braves fan who suffered through the 80's, because the only games we saw on tv on a regular basis were the Braves on TBS, and Tuesday night Yankee broadcasts. I was living in Arizona when the Diamondbacks were born and became an instant fan. The Yankees were long out, and the Braves were still #1 back then. But over time, the D-backs became #1, and though I still root for the Braves, it's not the same. I also lived in Seattle for three years and now have a soft spot for the Mariners.

Point is, time, geography, access do change things. It's not that I'm fairweather, just that if I'm living in Seattle and my company has access to tickets, and I go to about 12 games a year, I'm more likely to root for the M's over say the Braves, who are no longer on TBS, rarely, if ever visit Seattle, and are thousands of miles away.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Growing up in Florida in the '60's, there were no pro teams in the south so I was a fan of the Green Bay Packers (Lombardi era) and the Boston Celtics. Didn't have a strong baseball allegiance until the Braves arrived in Atlanta. I did like the Koufax/Drysdale era for the Dodgers.

Then switched to the Dolphins when they came along and supported the Bucs the best I could while living in the Bay area for 18 years.

Hardly follow baseball anymore. Have tried to become a Denver Broncos fan living here in Wyoming, but Elway just ticked me off the way he handled the Tebow situation.

Our family has actually been talking about finding a new NFL team to root for and we may have decided on the Seahawks. I will admit that I was HUGE Indianapolis Colts fan last night for their game against the Broncos.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +217
    The only pro team I follow is the Orlando Magic. Not going to change them.
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,713
    When I was a kid in Central Florida we got the Colt games so i grew up a Colt fan and actually got to meet Johnny U- in the mid 60's the Dolphins debuted in the old AFL ans so I decided since they were the only Pro ream in Florida I would cheer for them- then the Colts in my eyes screwed Johnny U and then I became a hard core Dolphins fan- then I met my lively wife who went to UF but was from Miami- so it was love at first snap er I mean sight
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jeffh11

jeffh11 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Nah, all/most of my friends are UcheaT fans, so it is kinda good for us to have some common ground.
  19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,223
    Growing Up I was a huge baseball fan, rooted for several teams, White Sox, Dodgers, Giants & Milwaukee Braves but was a diehard Yankee fan in the end.

Football was Packers, Giants and Red skins, dropped the Skins when the Dolphins were formed.

Celtics through and through for NBA

all are now was, haven't watched a pro game in any sport in decades, thought I might watch the series this year is it was Tigers & Cards, last series I truly was in to was the 68 contest featuring Bob Gib Son, Mickey Lolich and Denny McLain
    • Like Like x 1
  20. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +538
    Skins were on all the time back in the day but got to
    liking the Charlie Johnson led Cards.

Then Atlanta became the regional team. Then Afl teams so you had a team in two leagues.

Then the Fins came to Florida.

Have had several fave teams as they moved closer to us.

Loved the La Rams.during the fearsome foursome years.

Hard to be just a Fin fan when you had faves years prior to their franchise.
    • Like Like x 1