Have we sacrificed scoring for TOP?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 10, 2013.

1. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Transitive property doesn't apply to football, never has ... except apparently on message boards where it is endlessly used, incorrectly (IMHO) ...
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,692
    Different situation here. The trasitive property is misapplied when someone says, "How could we have lost to Miami? They lost to Florida State, who we crushed!"

How two teams play a common opponent is different altogether, even though I admit it is not perfect.

I believe one can safely assume that if Oregon crushes Tennessee 50-21, while we beat Tennessee 17-10 that Oregon is more powerful than Florida. There are a bunch of intangible variables that affect the outcomes, but it isn't a bad baromoeter...
  3. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    It will apply in this case much more so than comparing us to UT now...
  4. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Maybe ... even if those were the scores I would still predict that Florida could stay within 2 TD's of Oregon strictly based on our Defense ... that was the point (I think) I was trying to make ...
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,692
    And you could be right. But frankly, at this juncture, I'm glad it is Tennessee who is playing the Mighty Ducks and not the Gators...
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,161
    I see very little difference here. In either case, you are projecting the future (or forming an assessment) based upon how teams performed against a common opponent. In the UT case, you are projecting UF's quality based upon their performance against UT in comparison with Oregon's. In the FSU case, you are projecting UF's quality (or lack of quality) based upon their performance against FSU in comparison with Miami's. Yes, I understand the transitive property includes that additional assumption. The only difference is that your FSU scenario is more specific than the one you proposed regarding UT (UF would have to then play Oregon in order to apply the TP). Again, either way, it involves projection based upon mutual performance.
  7. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    The fact that we are delving into the Transitive Property of Football Game Outcomes strongly suggests it may be a bye week, in my humble opinion.