Have we sacrificed scoring for TOP?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Actually, that last part is incorrect. Driskel was asked to do none of that in high school. He played against poor competition with a fairly new football program if I am not mistaken. He was asked and "coached" to just run and the extent of his throwing was to open receivers on one route. No wonder he locks in and starts to panic when his first option isn't there. That takes time to learn.

How can one talk about his level of experience and say none of it is going to grow when he's barely into his third year of actually being coached to read defenses, etc? People seem to easily forget he was recruited by Urban and think he's been in some sort of sophisticated passing offense for years.

He has not and it is showing especially with a beat up OL that wasnt that great at pass blocking when the starters were in in the first place. It is now on the coaches to find something to get this offense going inside the 25.
  2. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I'm not sure I agree that Meyer recruiting Driskel has any bearing on where he is now as a player. Jeff is in his junior year at UF, and all three years he's been in either Weis or Pease's offense, both of which are nominally "pro-style" offenses. Blaming his issues on his HS offense at this point seems to be wishful thinking, imo.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I have little to no faith that Driskel will make the necessary mental leap at this point. He reminds me of Chris Rix in many ways, unfortunately.
  3. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +651
    WM has a philosophy that imo he will not deviate. It's a strong D. Limit turnovers ie protect the ball, downhill running game liken to bama's, a qb that manages the game, play field position, sound special teams.

Now to be honest, it's a good recipe. I think it's what auburn used to do esp in the days of Bo Jackson and WM is a disciple of saban. Let's face it bama has had a good run with this method.

Now, imo our D is every bit as good as bamas. However, our O is lacking in so many areas. If you watched bama vs v tech, bama's OL is not where it once was. Without scores by special team and the one long pass play, bama wasn't all that good.

Right now we lack imo quality OL. I'm not sure we are able to recruit OL the way bama can. Bama has a very good qb, the guy gets the job done and has proven himself. Fact of the matter bama has had excellent game managers since saban became coach. And, they have had some of the best rbs in college football along with quality wrs.

We are not there. We are into the 3rd year of WM as coach and imo we are making progress but will it be enough? This O doesn't score very much even against cup cakes. When teams shut down our running game like it did vs uga, UL and scum, we resort to passing and then comes the interceptions and JD getting hit and fumbling. We cannot overcome usually big deficits.

Our D is great, but if/when our O turns the ball over, or a qb gets hot, or a long td catch, most of us know we're in trouble. This O doesn't do well playing from behind.
    The long methodical drives are great provided the team scores. Yet, we have seen time and time again the drives bog down when we get stuffed and its 3rd and long, or a penalty, or incompletion or whatever. All we've done is managed to keep the opposition in the game by keeping our score low and shortening the game. That's it.

Teams know how to prepare for us. It's not that hard. Which makes this style of O even more difficult to run. Teams will continue a bend but don't break knowing most of the time we will bog down or we have difficulty the closer we get to the endzone.

What do we do? IMO, we open things up more. Throw more on first down. Take more chances. Vary the pace of the offense. Roll out JD. Every run doesn't have to be in between the tackles. Stretch the field. Don't put JD in a position more than he needs to with a third a long. Use the diamond formation to our advantage. Scrap the wildcat. But focus on scoring not playing keep away or going for long drives all the time. We don't have last years bama team to do that.
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Our #1 issue. Our OL has been depleted, patchwork, snake-bit (whatever you want to call it) during the entire WM tenure and looks like it will still be that way this year. IMO that is why you see such inconsistency from the offense as a whole. When the unit is together and has depth it gels pretty well and we can run the football at will, which does wonders for our offense. However, more often than not we've seen injuries, dismissals, "busts", lead to lack of depth, ineffectiveness, penalties, sacks and turnovers.

We haven't proven to be able to recruit high quality and quantity at the position and build depth. We created some depth by bringing in two transfers but they have not really turned out to be the saviors like we may have thought.

I agree. Our offensive line isn't bad they are just inconsistent. So IMO we are doing ourselves a disservice by expecting that line to execute a 10+ play drive. It just doesnt happen. We need to strike while the iron is hot and while our line is blocking well. JD had a TON of time in the pocket on several occasions. That's when we desperately need to take advantage and hit a big play in the passing game. We hit 1 or 2, but we need more and we need them to start going for 6.
  5. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Man Oregon's offense must suck, they lose TOP every game!
  6. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    ... and they will never win a Crystal Football, but damn if they aren't flashy!
  7. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Honest question- could we stay within 2 scores of Oregon with this team?
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    yes
  9. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Yes! There is a reason the SEC has won so many of those crystal footballs and it isn't flashy offenses.
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    No chance. Oregon's defense isn't so bad that our offense could go toe to toe with theirs. Our "offense" went head to head against two allegedly horrible defenses and came up with 40 points - cumulatively. Sorry, but I need to see at least one good Florida offensive performance.

We'll see how Oregon does against Tennessee, and we can compare with how WE do against them the following week...
  11. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
  12. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    The problem is that last year's record was based on a top-5 defense, anchored by several players now in the NFL. AND, the entire middle of the defense was replaced. The offense was able to do just enough to get the win. Now, with a rebuilding defense, the offense is asked to do more. And it can't. We have the same weak offense that we had last year. This is 2007 without Tebow, the Pounceys, Murphy and Harvin. (Note that three on that list were true freshmen who contributed to a decent season.)

And what's really sad is that we don't seem to have a lot to build on for next year, other than an improving defense. Our best hope is that we can alternate 10-2 and 7-5 seasons, as we watch Georgia and South Carolina duke it out for the right to go to the SECCG. National Championships are not an option for us. Maybe we can win a lower-tier bowl game in the next five years.
  13. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    1. Oregon would be winning titles if they had a good to great defense. We would be if our offense was good to great. The point is you need production out of two units. If you use Oregon as proof that great offense by itself doesn't win then logically you have to use Florida as proof great defense doesn't win

2. Saban and Will may share similar high level philosophies, but their strategy to execute is vastly different on offense. Alabama is far more aggressive than we are. Bama's offense has been much much much better than ours for awhile. Hence why they are able to win titles. If you put our offense on their last two teams and they wouldn't have made it to Atlanta.

3. TOP alone is meaningless. I'm glad many are understanding it, but the old school folks won't change their mind. However I'd like them to think about how our great defense impacts TOP. See you use it to show we are productive on O but it is because you aren't understanding what is causing the TOP.

When we have the ball we run clock. Late snaps, up the middle runs, and short passes. Our opposition never has such a run clock focus as we do. Given our defense is elite we will stop them often. So even if both teams have a 3 and out it is extremely likely time will have ticked off more when we had the ball.
  14. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    It's called a trend. We had a positive turnover margin last year like +15, so we weren't making errors earlier in the year. When we got into games where we had to play from behind AND the other team scored in the second half we got in trouble. Remember how early in the year we were shutting teams out in the second half. <BR><BR> I've been trying to find statistics that back up how often teams score depending on starting position, and I found these statistics from the Big 12: <BR> 1) At or inside your own 20: Only 30% resulted in scores (254 drives: 63 TD’s, 13 FG’s).

2) Between your own 20 and 40: Only 31% resulted in scores (181 drives: 43 TD’s, 13 FG’s).

3) Mid-field: Between the 40’s: 42% resulted in scores (81 drives: 20 TD’s, 14 FG’s).

4) Between opponent’s 40 and 20: 70% resulted in scores (23 drives: 14 TD’s, 2 FG’s).

5) Red Zone: Inside opponent’s 20: 100% resulted in scores (13 drives: 12 TD’s, 1 FG).<BR><BR>How many possessions do you get in a game? 10? That means it is more difficult to score on a long drive (30%). Now Urban had a statistic that showed when we broke a long play from a starting position deep in our own territory, the percentage of drives resulting in scores went up significantly. Dinking and dunking down the field reduces that percentage, probably below the 30%. <BR><BR>If we could score touchdowns and have no turnovers in those, say, 3 possessions we take it down to the red zone, we'd be in better shape. Also, if we were able to break long gains, our opportunity to score would go up. We're playing the percentages, but we're playing the low percentages.
  15. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I don't get how people can just dismiss the turnovers and say "well if it wasnt for those we win easily. Hopefully we got our UGA game out of the way already for the year", as if we just got totally unlucky. Like saying "well if it wouldn't have rained today we would have won. Oh well it happens. Hopefully it won't rain in the future". At this point its a trend because our offense just really isnt any good, so we will remain susceptible to those kind of performances until we can block better, make better decisions with the football, avoid dumb penalties which put us in 3rd and long situations, and find a way to hit some scoring plays earlier instead of trying to put together 10+ play drives.
  16. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,780
    And to add to the trend of this post, I also worry that last year's D had a lot of turnovers that hid much of the O's flaws. Other than VH3, I am not seeing the same playmaking. The blocked punt was a good one though.

Less D, then more is needed from your O. And I am concerned with the condition of the OLine. It HAS to be one of the team's strengths.
  17. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +651
    IMO our long drawn out drives lends itself to more penalties, more opportunities for third and long, and more opportunities for turnovers. When teams like uga, UL, and scum can limit our running game, and when they get a lead, we are prone to take chances or JD feels he needs to force something and we end up turning the ball over. It also appears our long drives end up with injured OL. Tell me I'm wrong?
    Good teams have us figured out, heck i have us figured out, we rarely throw on first, we rarely go deep, and this O rarely scores TDs. The proof is in the numbers.

Matthew is correct, we have a great D, we have an average O that is bent on conservative play and that = no sec title and no NC title and all it will produce is a winning season. For some that's good enough but I know we can do better. WM is an excellent D coach. Last year we did good. But with a qb that has difficulty reading defenses, an OL that imo is simply average, and a team that is not discipline smart, we will be in a ton of close games this year and I'm afraid will come up short meaning winning season but no titles.

Solution: BP needs to mix it up more, take chances on first to go deep, I would like to see more of the diamond formation and that seems to have multiple options. Roll Jeff out more.
  18. pcolafan

pcolafan Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    Nope. Offense, Defense, Special Teams and a little luck wins championships.
  19. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    As we've been concluding in the recent posts, we were 7-0 for the first seven games, and in the past eight games we are 5-3. It's called a TREND. Three of our first seven wins required the defense to hold the opponent scoreless in the second half for us to take the lead (Ta&m, LSU, Missouri). In the three losses the other team scored in the second half. If we had held them scoreless, we would have beaten Georgia and Miami and come within a point of Louisville.
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    This whole TOP thing is also silly. We want to control the ball. People were so upset about how we played vs Toledo but look at our schedule. We play against a lot of uptempo teams this year and our best shot at winning this year is to control TOP. Maybe you guys want to lose more games