Have we sacrificed scoring for TOP?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 10, 2013.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +468 / 64 / -17
    We are last or near last in scoring. Seems to me WM wants a downhill running game that doesn't make mistakes, a qb that manages the game, and meanwhile we don't score all that much. Is that winning football? Is it me or don't long drives which is what we do, don't long drives run the risk of more things going wrong to stall? Our D can't be depended on to hold teams to two tds or less.

Perhaps we don't have the personnel, TEs, OL, QB to make WM style of O to work. Haven't seen it work yet this year. We are averaging 20 points or less against not great defenses.
  2. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170 / 11 / -2
    We were 11-2 (7-1 SEC) last year. Where's the problem?
  3. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 6 / -3
    ESPN says we were a UGLY 11-2 last year.......:ninja:
  4. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +468 / 64 / -17
    No championships. But that was last year. This year we are a year older in the system and still have issues scoring. Sure we can move the ball but so what if we can't score.
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +139 / 18 / -3
    The offense has to start producing or the defense will eventually fade! This team is capable of scoring 30+ points per game if the following things happen:
    1. Stop turning the ball over!
    2. Play a TE who can catch the ball!
    3. The O-line needs to get healthy and stay that way!
    4. JD must play to his potential !!!
  6. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    And, we are 3-3 vs. BCS teams in our last 6 games while possessing one of the very best defenses in the country. That is not exactly trending the way your would like, is it?.
  7. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +201 / 54 / -35
    And of those 3 losses, how many turnovers? A dozen?

TOS does not directly equate to wins, but there is a close correlation to winning and TOS. Last year we won the TOS and TO margin (in most games), hence, 11 wins.

And why only look at the last 6 games? Oh yeah, looking beyond that degrades one's agreement.
  8. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163 / 3 / -2
    Don't forget fixing the penalties, especially the stupid ones (as in "Clay Burton"). I thought we made good progress in that area during the last half of 2012. But judging from the first two games this year we seem to have reverted back to our old habits.
  9. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +100 / 5 / -0
    Last year is just that last year stop throwing that number around like it means anything at all for THIS year.
  10. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170 / 11 / -2
    Don't be so obtuse as to not realize this is yet ANOTHER thread about Coach Muschamp's "philosophy".
  11. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +100 / 5 / -0
    Not being obtuse i understand this is another dumb thread but that post is kind of dumb in of itself. Last year means little for this year. I am not going to hang Muschamp but if we lose to UGA this year and FSU then his seat will be getting warm as it should.
  12. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I suspect you mean "argument" not agreement. I am looking at the most recent trend and the current state of affairs.
  13. GATORAJE

GATORAJE Member

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My biggest fear is, if this offensive trend is not broken, and more pressure is put on the "D", that infighting and finger pointing will start taking place, and then the "D" may just say, screw this, would should bust our butts to put them in position to score, and they muff it every time.
  14. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170 / 11 / -2
    Muschamp's coaching philosophy is hardly different than Saban's. The only difference between Florida and Alabama right now are personnel and execution, but we are close. By the way, I'd take Driskel over McCarron every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  15. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +243 / 23 / -7
    We drove the ball last week mostly by passing, so can't call that a "downhill running game that doesn't make mistakes". Coach has always said he wants to be balanced, and that they need to establish the run to set up the pass.

If you play strong D and can sustain offensive drives, you'll win the TOP and wear out the other team's defense. Sounds like a good plan to me. Just gotta stop making so many penalties and turnovers.
  16. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    There is no mystery to how to defend UF.

Play 7 to 8 in the box, run blitz, send a cb on blitz 6 times a game, play man to man press coverage outside, put pressure in JD face. Defense have no fear of our RBs breaking long runs because they are not fast, they have no reason to cover the TE, they don't fear Trey beating them deep, and they have no fear of JD throwing over the top. UF may gain some yards, but they are prone to penalites, and JD has been prone to turn it over when he gets pressure...

Note on wearing defenses down- Our OL gets worn out and exhausted trying to play ground and pound trench warfare against defenses who are loading the box and crowding the LOS. UF's OL are also dropping like flies in the process. There is a point when the WW1 trench warfare becomes counter productive.
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +716 / 64 / -40
    We meant to score.
  18. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +468 / 64 / -17
    Our current method of moving ball but not scoring is problematic. With penalties, turnovers, and teams knowing how to defend, I'm not sure things will get a whole lot better. We face a not very good ut, uk, arky and if we can't score in the upper twenties against them, we're in trouble.
  19. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The problem is no trip to Atlanta, despite being 11-1. And a loss in our bowl game to a highly unfavored opponent.
    We are not meeting the expectations. Last year we were expected to blow out a number of teams that we seemed to struggle with. If we lost to A and M and LSU and Alabama (if we played them) people would be upset, but understanding. Those loses would not be unreasonable since they are very good teams. Beating them is more of a hope than a given. Beating Miami and blowing out Toledo, BG, Louisiana Lafayatte, etc.. are forgone conclusions. When they do not occur it leaves everyone wondering what happened. So the way we win does have an impact. It leaves us wondering why the game was so close. And when there is a loss it brings all those previous questions to bear.
  20. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I do wonder if its a trend though- if you look back on the year after about the midway point the offense essentially began to regress badly, with only one exception- the FSU game-- is it possible teams just took half a year to realize that for all the formations and motion that Pease throws out there Florida's an incredibly simplistic offensive team which you can effectively stymie by putting 8 and 9 men in box and making them drive the field in short 3 and 4 yard chunks- because eventually Florida will self-destruct as any little thing- a run for minimal gain, a false start, etc essentially ends the drive? I mean even our passing game such that it is is primarily short which keeps the defense packed in tight.

I just wonder if the reason we've won less games and the reason the offense has looked so bad over the course of what is essentially the last half a season-- is because teams have figured us out and unless we have a significant talent edge we don't really have any counter for a team just putting 8 or 9 men within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage (this also increases turnovers- more congestion to try and fit our short passing game in and more tacklers to hit backs at odd angles)

I honestly think its possible that people have figured out Pease's offense--the gimmicks worked for half a season of so but SEC coordinators aren't dumb and once they figured out that we had no counter punch other than the occasional Jet sweep and that for all the flourishes we throw out we're essentially a between the tackles running team, it became easy to stop.

I also think this year we could have a bit of trouble in that despite his size Matt Jones isn't a power back, he's an outside/off tackle runner and if we're going to stay as a straight ahead team we should go with Mack Brown (Taylor and Lane can do straight ahead plus big cutbacks but much like Robinson and Fulwood they aren't in the circle of trust).