Has anyone else been doing crossfit open workouts?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by deviation, Mar 10, 2012.

1. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Just curious as to if anyone else has been doing the open workouts that have been going on?

http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open?#tabs-3

I'll be doing that workout tomorrow. I've been trying to fit in 1 crossfit workout into my weekly routine. I've been cutting so adding crossfit has actually helped some. Trying to get down to 5 or 6 % bodyfat.

So if you have been doing them, please do post your times and results.
  2. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Just completed the week 3 workout.

Barely got in 6 rounds in 18 minutes. When i read about others putting in 9 or 10 rounds to me that is just shocking. Supreme conditioned athletes. Then again i've been doing bodybuilding routines and have only started crossfit routines for 2 weeks now. Just more motivation to keep on improving and possibly be on their level someday.

Then i just saw a couple of people doing 15+ rounds. Just insane.
  3. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I did this workout, but had to drop down to 95 lbs push press (I'm not a big guy). And I could only do 4-5 toes to bar per set.

Crossfit is nuts.
  4. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Haven't done one (though I probably should)...

Have enjoyed watching the videos of them though....

:yes:
  5. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,019
    No reason you can't just insert a dumbbell push-press or dumbbell thrusters.
  6. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Deviation, can you explain some things about crossfit for me? Do most people do the WOD posted on crossfit.com? Also, is it ok to sub other exercises in if my gym doesnt have the equipment for that day's workout?

Thanks!
  7. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    If you plan on submitting your workout to crossfit.com then you need to be strict and follow their rules to a T.

If you don't plan on submitting then i don't see why you can't change a few things. Everything workout i've seen from there, it's all with basic equipment.

Yeah everyone does the WOD here - http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open

Each week they submit their workout. People that have the best scores move on to regionals. That is what is cool about crossfit, it's open to anyone and everyone of all ages.

I can't wait to see 12.4. I think there is another guy on here that does crossfit as well. His name slips my mind at the moment.
  8. GatorCivil

GatorCivil VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    There's a few girls at my crossfit gym that have been absolutely destroying the open WOD's...I didn't see what they did on the latest WOD last week, but I think after week two one was top ten in the region and one was top ten in the WORLD. Really kills your self-esteem when you're a 6'4" 220 lb guy and you're about the 5th strongest girl at your gym!!
  9. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Oh man this is going to be a tough one. Since i have no rings i'll have to do the muscle ups on a pullup station/cable crossover station.

I'll have to do this either early in the morning or late at night when no one is there.

[youtube]lMJYvetSHvk[/youtube]
  10. GatorCivil

GatorCivil VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    just did 12.4 today...got through the 150 wall balls and 31 double unders in the allotted 12 minutes. The crazy girl at our gym got all 150 wall balls, all 90 double unders, and i believe 8 muscle ups in the same time...rediculous.
  11. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    So i take it you didn't do any muscle ups? I'm about to head to my gym to attempt the workout my self. Should be interesting.
  12. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Finally my kind of workout. Can't wait to do it this weekend.

I sucked on the wod #4 workout. I got all the reps in except the muscle ups. I only got 3 of those. I need to work on muscle ups, i had about 2 minutes left but couldn't do anymore. My body was finished.

This workout i like much more.

http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open#tabs-5

[youtube]_nlGXXQyxJ8[/youtube]
  13. GatorCivil

GatorCivil VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Correct...I'm not at the point where I can do them yet, but I was well out of time and didn't get to them anyway. 12.5 looks fun/brutal, we'll see how that goes tomorrow!
  14. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    I've been stinking it up through the games. It's been a great experience, though. I'm about a year into crossfit, and the scores I'm disappointed in today were totally unachievable for me a few months back.

12.1 - a weak 83 burpees
    12.2 - a pathetic 44 - although it's like the snatch finally clicked for me. If I had a chance to repeat that WOD, I think I could get 60.
    12.3 - 212 - 18 minutes felt like an eternity
    12.4 - 179 - I got my first muscle up a few weeks prior, but I was to slow to get an attempt for the WOD. I was hoping to stumble through double unders, but the wall balls took me about 9:30 - way too long.
    12.5 - 81 - I just ran out of gas. Thrusters drain me so quick. I wasn't having any problems with chest to bar.
  15. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3

I've been hard pressed to get a crossfit workout in my routine last week so i'm going to squeeze in the 12.5 in today's workout.

I was going to run the 10k today but it started raining so i skipped that and just going to hit up the gym for some crossfit and run some miles afterwards on the treadmill.

I'm guessing since you said you don't have any problems with the chest to bar you are good with kipping? I still have problems with kipping, i'm still set in my ways of normal pullups and try to use too much of my lats. It's a work in progress.

Well off i go to attempt 12.5. Interested to see what kind of workouts they bring out for the regionals. Hopefully i can do those at my gym as well.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,019
    While I'm no fan of kipping, inability to get your chest to the bar may have more to do with a general lack of flexibility in the chest/shoulders/T-spine rather than a strength issue.
  17. GuyWhiteyCorngood

Ratings Received:
    +109
    What's your main complaint against kipping again?
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,019
    I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before. My main difficulty is ... why ?
  19. GuyWhiteyCorngood

Ratings Received:
    +109
    I couldn't remember if you gave any specific reasons.

As long as you keep active shoulders, why not? It's a great power movement, focusing on hip drive and posterior chain to maximize core to extremity output.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,019
    Therein lies the problem. As you fatigue considerably ... how long can you maintain scapular stability ? It is not at all difficult to find youtubes of CrossFitters *while under the watchful eye of trainers* deteriorating in their form as reps accumulate ... because the goal is to get as many reps as possible, the hell with the outcome.

As a posterior chain movement I'd say it's vastly overrated. Just do deadlift variations for that.

And as a 'functional movement', bear in mind that gymnasts use kipping merely as a means to an end. And in fact the goal is to minimize kipping.

All that said, there is one thing I get about CrossFit. I TOTALLY get it when your training IS your sport. Look at me. There is nothing the least bit practical about one-armed pushups and pistol squats.