Harris Back in School

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Jan 8, 2014.

1. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,520
    Good for Harris.
    Lets hope he pulls through.
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    A few weeks ago, I thought next season looked grim for the Gators' inside game. Since then, we've added Murphy and now Harris, and likely will have C. Walker back. It's gone from grim-looking to great-looking.

I hope Harris can see this as a new lease on life and really take advantage of this second chance.
  3. xUFxGators

xUFxGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Billy allowed him to re enroll. Thoughts?
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,429
    Merged it with the existing thread.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    I find this interesting because unlike most of the "free Walker" declarations (from guys like Dicky V), Goodman actually tends to follow these things fairly closely. That being said, he also has a tendency to write about these cases and hasn't been with Walker.
  6. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +35

Agreed. I don't think there was an unsigned recruit who would be as good or better than Harris for us next year.
    If C. Walker comes back next year, that would be insane for the team.
  7. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    Not - going - to - happen
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Why would you think this? It'd take a LOT of amateurism stuff or would mean the NCAA didn't buy his academic stuff for him not to play at all.

Billy commented today that he hoped the NCAA would do the "right thing" because of the fact that Walker had been "upfront and honest" with the NCAA. Doesn't that seem like an odd statement if this were just about academics. What does being upfront have to do with becoming academically eligible? Why would this be based on self report?
  9. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Tend to agree with Osiris. Would also like to ask you guys/girls IF you were Walker, one of his parents a close relative or a guardian what would you believe his course of action should be based upon what has happened this yea?. Remember, not from the point of view of someone who loves Florida basketball but from the people mentioned above
  10. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    Part of me wonders if Billy might have offered Harris a shot at playing this year, if indeed Walker is never going to be cleared.
  11. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    This is my nagging worry.
  12. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    I was referring to the suggestion that we'd have him on the roster next season
  13. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    I would not say it is likely that we would have Chris Walker on next year's team. Obviously we have not even seen him play a game, and I'm almost positive his role will be as a bench player maybe getting around 20 minutes a game when he is eventually (I'm being optimistic) cleared. But not being ready for the NBA has hardly been a deterrent for players that have the size and athleticism of Walker, regardless of their role in college. I see him as more likely a one and done than returning next year, but I sure do hope we have him for a long time.
  14. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    He would still be a first rounder but this upcoming draft is loaded whereas if he returns he could play himself into a top 3 pick.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Re-reading your post - I'm not sure how that escaped me. Thx.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,978
    So hard to determine what he will do. I think the expectation has always been that he would leave after his freshman year, but there have been some different factors come into play. First, he missed all fall due to his inability to qualify. Second, he is still not cleared to play and we have already started conference competition, with the possibility that he may not make it onto the floor until later this month. That would leave him all of 12-18 games to play collegiately, and he would be doing it as the fourth big in our rotation. Third, with Hill's struggles, there is also reason to think he and his old AAU teammate decide to return because neither has been able to develop as they expected, while a loaded draft could easily push them out of the lottery and to the back end of the first round. There are lots of teams prospectively in that 20-32 region who would have precious little time for projects like those kids (Spurs, OKC, Miami, Chicago, Houson, Clippers, etc.).

There is no doubt someone would take a shot at either Walker or Hill because they have serious talent and upside at the next level, where their games are perfect fits. But the difference between being selected solely on potential in a loaded draft and being selected on potential and productivity in a much weaker draft may be enough to make them reconsider. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but there is good reason for them to consider both options.
  17. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    Without Walker and maybe Harris not working out in the end who would we play at the 5? Sure hope we get a transfer soon that could play next year like Murphy
  18. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    This is how I've felt recently. Only a small amount of it is wishful thinking.
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620

Think you may be overestimating their draft stock at this point - at least with Hill. Draftexpress (not talking gospel here) has Walker 10th and Hill 38th in 2015's draft. Just looking at them, I see more of a reason to take a risk on Walker than Hill mainly due to him being 6'10 and how much more rare his level of athleticism is at that size than Hill's.

Overall, I really don't disagree with your post. Just think they may (Hill at least) have less of a tough decision after this year than you're suggesting. I think both are/should be no brainers for returning given the extra year of development (and showcasing) and how loaded this years draft might be. That being said, Walker may have personal reasons to start making money sooner than that. I never fault anyone for that!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,939
    And I would add that, if they were strictly O-A-D players from the outset and didn't come for some of Billy's sage coaching then there were better showcase places to play.

I think the second year of development would be a pretty high priority for both. JMHO
    • Agree Agree x 1