Harris Back in School

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Jan 8, 2014.

1. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +438
    I hope it all works out. Like someone else said, it would be a win, win situation. I hope Damontre gets his act together.
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    As Billy D has said, none of the stuff he is asking Harris to do is hard. He needs to just make it a point of doing it everyday and being accountable for his actions.

I don't know anything about Harris' family life or other influences (perhaps his HS coach), but it sounds like somebody talked some sense into him during the holidays.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    He is a redshirt junior this year. So that means he will be a redshirt senior next year. Someone mentioned could he get a hardship for a sixth year. It is possible given that he had a pretty serious injury but probably doubtful given that it really wasn't his injury that kept him off the floor this year. At least, we have read as much. So for us he would be a very different kind of one and done.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    Sounds like pretty standard Billy D stuff. The onus is totally on Harris.

“We traded some texts over the Christmas break and he realized that he had made a big mistake,” Donovan said. “He wants to work his way back on the team. It's going to be similar to Scottie Wilbekin's situation in that he has to meet some terms and conditions. Can he make it? I don't know, but if he does it will be a great comeback story.”
  5. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +699
    Billy pulled Cody's scholarship as part of his road back. He was in the same boat as Harris. It's not unprecedented (of course, he needed that ship to get DFS).

BTW, Cody's averaging 13 ppg, 7 reb in 28 min per game, and shooting 72% from the FT line for South Dakota State this season. We really could have used him.
  6. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +712

I don't know that he has really gone back on his word. Harris is out for the year minimum and that is a huge punishment. He is enrolled at UF and may or may not ever make it back on the team but IMO college basketball is more about shaping young men then it is playing bball. Not every coach gets that but Billy does. He can do a lot more good by having Damontre be a success story.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    I said this back when the Murphy-Larson crimes first broke: one of the advantages to being Billy Donovan and having the reputation you have is that you earn a lot of deference on disciplinary issues. I frequently defended Urban Meyer, but by the end of his tenure at UF he certainly wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt on these questions.

But I'm willing to give Billy that benefit when it comes to Harris, just as I was with Murphy and Larson. Honestly, I don't love the idea that Harris is back on scholarship after a year of utterly failing to meet the most basic standards Billy has set; that he's back in school is undeniably a really good thing, but I'd prefer that he paid his own way until August. But because of Donovan's track record on these questions, it's something I can accept (not that my opinion matters overmuch to Billy).
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I get what many of you are saying. I'm not saying you're wrong for feeling that way - although I don't suspect some of you would have similar feelings if you saw this happen with a rival team (true of any fanbase though IMO). I mean, one post in this thread even said its better for Donovan to rehabilitate him (paraphrase) than for some other school to use him to help their win/loss percentage. I mean, think about that statement... If Billy is capable of rehabbing him, then so are other coaches, right? The opposite is true as well of course.

From the statements I've come across, I agree Billy wasn't emphatic in his dismissal of Harris and isn't, technically going directly against his previous statements - but its close IMO.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...is-dismissed-florida-gators-ever-playing-game

He didn't say, "Harris will return to UF over my dead body" or anything, but the message I take from those quotes (just my interpretation) is that Harris was given many chances and ultimately did not take any of them and that his time at Florida (his chances) is over. One could also look at that and say, "well sure, Billy is saying that Harris can't play on his own terms and is insisting that he hold him accountable for x, y and z before he'll let him play - and that this is the same deal now, moving forward, as it was before..." But, just in my opinion at least, I wonder if you're not letting him participate with the team on his own terms by letting him decide when he's going to play by the rules or whatever. I'll ask whatever of a kid and give him however many numerous chances - and then if he fails to get on the same page, his chances are gone ("opportunity for him is now gone"). But, if later on he decides he wants to get on the same page at that point - well then I'll give him that same chance again. Just my perspective, but I don't quite get that.

I especially agree with those that have said he should have lost his scholarship. Out of state, or whatever, shouldn't really be a distinction IMO. Consequences are part of life and I feel more strongly about this after reading what Osiris pointed out about Cody losing his scholarship (when another player needed it).

I do, in general, think fanbase and rival bias can come into play in these types of situations (any fanbase, any coach). My coach does this, he's a humanitarian. My player does this, he's had a change of heart. Rival coach - win at all costs - obviously just enabling the player. Any UL message board you can find right now is lauding Pitrino's heart change (which is somehow evidenced in him ditching WKU after just a year..).

Again, just my opinion on this. I'm not trying to call out anyone that disagrees. I'm not saying you're wrong (even when I talk about the bias generality). My view of this could be wrong for sure. I don't view this as a moral issue and I do realize coaches have a lot to consider when making these kind of calls.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    As a Gator fan, I'm not sure how I feel about this. But as a human being, I'm happy for Damontre that he seems to be growing up and taking some responsibility for himself. I hope he makes the most of this opportunity.
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    REM- I may be in the minority but if this exact situation had happened at UK or whereever I wouldn't care at all. I say that because it's not a legal/ncaa/academic issue. If a coach wants to give a head case a second chance on being responsible then it's on the coach. As a rival fan, I might take shots saying cal is a slimeball and there's not a snowballs chance in hell he can help this kid because of that or all cal wants him to do is not kill somebody, but that would mostly be out of message board banter. I'm not naive enough to think Billy is doing this just to help the kid, of course he thinks Harris can help him win and that's why he's doing it, but if he achieves the life goals Billy or any coach sets out for them then I see no problem with it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,388
    Heck if this happened at UK we'd all be shocked....UK never has anyone return.
    ;)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    I don't really understand this opinion this topic. And I'm pretty temperate when criticizing rival fanbases and will call out hypocrisy in my own. Pointing out a post by one fan on this message board looking at W-L shouldn't even play into this if we're going to analyze Donovan's actions alone.

And a big opportunity is gone. Harris isn't playing this year. Donovan analyzed the situation at hand, and the fact is the kid wasn't doing what he needed to do in order to play. You're also discounting that he practiced and had no issues last year with Coach. It's not like he has no goodwill or history and that Harris has not proven ANYTHING to Coach in all his time here. His teammates have seen him practice before and Coach isn't trying to send the wrong message by allowing him to redeem himself this season by playing. You're insinuating that this is because of Harris' future value to this team alone. I think Donovan being open during this whole process allows this dissension to take place. Most stuff like this is under wraps by most coaches with more ruthless measures. So if you want to analyze the hypocrisy of college coaches at large, this is not a good example to use.
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    I understand, but respectfully disagree.
    He has done absolutely nothing to warrant a scholly this year. . . quite the opposite, in fact.
    It should be pulled and provided to another player, and he should earn it back.
    If he is unable or unwilling. . . so be it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    If Harris were back and allowed to play this year then I would be fussed. Since he can practice but not play until next year I am inclined to support Billy on giving him a chance. I suspect that his chances of sticking it out for the next 9 months are somewhere between slim and none but it is worth taking a chance, not on the player, but on the kid.
  15. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    You say that in jest; however, in my lifetime of following Kentucky I don't believe Harris would have ever been allowed to come back based on the story furnished above. He has already wasted one year at Gainesville, paid for by the University, and UF gets nothing for the effort. Why anyone thinks UF owes the kid another shot is outside the pale.
  16. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,198
    OK, let's stay on topic please. This is not about Christianity/Catholicism or Kentucky.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,819
    For whatever it is worth, I have never associated Christianity/Catholicism with Kentucky basketball.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,388
    @rem I agree. UF doesnt owe him anything. It says a lot about billy that he is willing to burn the scholly on a kid. He isnt a win at all costs coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Agree with this 100%.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Maybe, like I've said to my kids, the light went on in the attic!