Happy Birthday to the Greatest

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Spurffelbow833, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151

His heyday was the only time in my life I ever cared about boxing. At school, we forgot about football, baseball, and basketball and stuck to boxing smack whenever Ali had a fight coming up. It carried over to watching the '76 Olympic team that dominated in Montreal. That was the most fun I've ever had watching the Olympics. No one athlete has ever sold his sport the way Muhammad Ali did. He's definitely one of my heroes.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. deebo65

deebo65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,258
    My mom is a HUGE boxing fan. I wasn't born till 75, but I always remember watching fights with her when I was a kid. Growing up watching Sugar Ray. Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Duran and the likes. Middleweights were more prominent in the 80s after Ali was gone (stayed in the game too long imo) but that was changing when a young Iron Mike burst onto the scene. I became a huge Mike fan and mom always talked about Ali. I really hadn't seen a lot of his fights at that point. My mom found a movie store that had tapes of lots of his fights and "educated me" on why he is the G.O.A.T. And, now in the Youtube age it is hard to argue how he was clearly the baddest man around. I still say he went on too long and kind of tarnished his name some. Lost to guys that couldn't hold his jockstrap 10yrs earlier. But the man and fighter he was, especially during the time he fought, tough to argue against him.
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,103
    Clay/Ali is an Icon in all senses of the world- I remember his fights, his willingness to resist the draft and loved his brash stick it to the opponent wit. Sad to see him deteriorate so.