Hanoi Jane Praised By Samatha Power

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,425
    First, thank you for your service.

Second, after thinking on it, it might have been regional. Puerto Rico at the time was not only dealing with a huge number of men being drafted to fight in the war for the US, but also with the independence movement protesting the US involvement in PR. Ironically, my dad was an independent but figured he'd go in the Air Force because he wanted to work with planes, so might as well go in something he liked and not on the ground. The level of violence and unrest down there was really, really bad - so combining it with the war...soldiers who came home from the war were seen as double traitors. Fighting in an unpopular war AND betraying your country. Places down there were ghost towns - women and old men. My uncle literally starved himself nearly to death so he'd be too "unhealthy" to go. Again, I can only go on my experiences. As for hers, I would chalk it up to people covering other things. I would guess that a news outlet might have been covering some big offensive or some mass casualty, and that people "protesting" against soldiers by throwing stuff at them wasn't really a big deal.

Just like with today, there could've also been a bias to NOT report it, because it could've painted "the cause" in a bad light. Just like there were cover ups by the administration about what was happening over there.

Sorry - but it had just sounded like you were insinuating/saying that it didn't happen as a result of it not being in the book. Your experience sounds different from my dad and that's good. I wouldn't wish it on any vet.
  2. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,425
    And you shouldn't apologize. This is America. It's your right. But what she did went completely beyond that and she and others took it to the soldiers themselves, who were there because they were drafted for the most part.
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,551
    yep, but that's just who they are and what they do.
  4. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,425
    Both sides pull that, River....plenty of people have been calling other people out and their level of patriotism, how much they care about their fellow man, etc., on multiple sides. It's not right, and you don't need to paint "them" with a broad brush. That would end up including me, and I'm pretty sure I've never done the like.

Whoever does it is wrong. On either side.
  5. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I defend Jane's right to protest the war here. Going onto the enemy's soil and endorsing their efforts against the US is, at the minimum, providing "aid and comfort to the enemy" and, at worst, treason.
  6. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,924
    This. Well-said.

The more I read her "apology", the more it comes across as PC spin. There are parts that are, quite frankly, hard to believe.
  7. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Reagan's dead.What good is it to hate someone who is dead?
  8. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +12,342
    I read all that queenie and did not come away feeling she was sincere- I do not hate her just do not think she is a very good person-she caused a lot of POW's to be killed and maimed
  9. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,425
    Thank you - I didn't think she was either. Another poster talked about how she had apologized, though.
  10. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,425
    Long story. Some here know it. It's deserved.
  11. boligator

boligator Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    The Viet Nam war was just like the war we fought in Iraq...enrich the MIC...throw the young poor into a grinding machine. Let's face it, Americans love war war because that is what "they" have "indoctrinated" to believe. Always a "boogie man" behind every corner. God I hate this BS. Wake up America...next "they" will be waging a war against us...the common citizen...Hell...the're doing it NOW...wake up!!!!!
  12. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,425
    And that may be a valid opinion. But the line was crossed when she went THERE and became part of the enemy's war effort. The line is crossed when men are attacked when they have no choice in going to a war. They were drafted to go, they were forced to fight, and they were vilified for it, attacked for it, etc.

Hate the government? Hate war? Great. Protest, vote, rally, etc. Don't take it out on some poor scrub that got pulled out of school or his job to go fight in a war in a country he's barely heard of around the world. She crossed the line when she basically gave comfort to the enemy. THAT'S the difference.
  13. boligator

boligator Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    And I agree...she definitely crossed the line. However, we are are and have been manipulated as a people for a long time. We are losing our freedom day by day. I pray every day for my kids...
  14. boligator

boligator Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    By the way ICE...I have never and will never take it out on the "scrubs" who fought that ridiculous war...I lost many friends during that time...I still miss them.
  15. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,273
    "Rich man's war, poor man's fight"
  16. boligator

boligator Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Hasn't that the way it's always been...
  17. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,425
    Did not mean to imply that you did :) Was discussing where the proverbial line is...at least for me.
  18. boligator

boligator Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    The line for me is always the "truth"...Jane F???...who cares anymore...water under the "proverbial" bridge for me...I just want a better and more just future for my kid's. No more towing the line for those who only enrich themselves on the backs of those who have no choice...Take care ICE...
  19. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +891
    Who next?

Praise Mohammed Atta for his sincere and principled (to him) actions on 9/11/11

Same logic as Powers.
  20. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,453
    If it happened during WWII, do you doubt she would be tried and executed? (I'm assuming that she could have survived long enough to go to trial.)

Disagreeing with the Iraq War is different than going to Iraq, and doing things to support the insurgents, even if just propaganda. What Fonda was doing was arguably helping kill American soldiers.

We may think differently about executing people for "political" reasons, but it is still treason to take sides against the U.S. in a war and try to help the other side win the war. The time to put her on trial was 1972, of course. And the punishment should probably be something short of execution, unless she provided financial help (or weapons) to the Viet Cong (or fired a weapon at a U.S. plane). A prison sentence might have improved her quite a bit, and given her some perspective about North Vietnamese prisons.