1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Hanoi Jane Praised By Samatha Power

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Our top UN diplomat had high praise for Hanoi Jane Fonda. you remember the movie slut who went into N Vietnam during the war and committed treason

Traitor: "Hanoi Jane" Fonda
    Hanoi Jane on North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun: A few hundred yards from the location of this photograph, American POWs were being subjected to all manner of torture at the "Hanoi Hilton." You can read about one of those POWs, Col. Roger Ingvalson, whose aircraft was shot down by an NVA-AAG similar to the gun Hanoi Jane is straddling.

http://patriotpost.us/pages/80

"There is no greater embodiment of being outspoken on behalf of what you believe in -- and being 'all in' in every way -- than Jane Fonda."

- Samantha Power, U.S. Ambassador to the UN

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/11/07/america-top-un-diplomat-has-high-praise-for-hanoi-jane/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,975
    Jane Fonda has every right to be "all in" and be critical. But what she did went beyond being vocal - she was a traitor. Pure and simple. The fact that anyone anywhere celebrates that evil witch is absolutely sickening, and there isn't a Vietnam Vet or anyone related to one that shouldn't have the urge to vomit every time that pompous, treasonous b__tch is mentioned.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    Jane Fonda's that old lady thats in some movies that I havent seen, right?
  4. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,975
    Ever hear of the "Jane Fonda" workout tapes in the 80s? She also did some movies in the 60s and 70s. Father was an actor...was married to Ted Turner.

Oh, and did I mention she's a treasonous b__ch?
  5. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Fonda called returning POWs "hypocrites and liars," adding, "These were not men who had been tortured. These were not men who had been starved. These were not men who had been brainwashed. ... Pilots were saying it was the policy of the Vietnamese and that it was systematic. I believe that's a lie." You can read about one of Fondas "hypocrites and liars" in this Veterans Day Profile: Point Man, Roger Helle
  6. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Especially our ambassador to the UN to go and praise her like that is disgusting as what fonda did
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    Yeah, I've probably seen more movies with Henry or Peter than Jane. And who still gives a sh$t what she did in like 1970?
  8. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    Had she shown some remorse for her actions, you might have a point.

She hasn't. People shouldn't forget either.
  9. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,975
    1. Anyone who lived through that.
    2. Anyone who served in Vietnam and had buddies who were POWs (my dad).
    3. Anyone who is related to someone who served in that mess and sees their face when discussing it to this day, and still sees them duck when they hear certain sounds, etc.

I suppose since there are younger posters here whose dads would've been too young for Vietnam that's a valid point. But I'm older, and my dad was there (thankfully, not a POW - but just as easily could have been, as he was shot down over North Vietnam territory). So to me it feels personal.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Does it matter when you commit treason? However to have our Ambassador to the UN to get up and praise her is just mind boggling Shows how far our government has sunk
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    Why should she? If she knew what she was doing, then she should stand by it and own it if that was her sincere conviction. The war is over (and has been for almost 40 years), and what she did had no effect on its outcome one way or the other. I'm trying to understand it from outside looking in, but being alive in the 60s just seems like it entails having a bunch of baggage for a lot of people that still seems to matter to other people, whether they were liberal or conservative in their politics. I can't think of anything that's happened in my lifetime that will continue to enrage people in 30-40 years. But maybe I'll be surprised.
  12. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    Put it this way, it seems, based only on my observations on this board and with my parents, that Jane Fonda (who took some pictures) is the subject of more simmering rage than someone like Bill Ayers (who actually tried to kill people and blow up stuff). Is it because she is a celebrity?
  13. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,975
    pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notable - various sites:

"In 1972 Jane Fonda, Tom Hayden and others traveled to North Vietnam to give their support to the North Vietnamese's Government. When she returned to the United States, she advised the news media that all of the American Prisoners of War were being well treated and were not being tortured.

As the American POWs returned home in 1973, they spoke out about the inhumane treatment and torture they had suffered as prisoners of war. Their stories directly contradicted Jane Fonda's earlier statements of 1972. Some of the American POWs such as Senator John McCain, a former Presidential candidate, stated that he was tortured by his guards for refusing to meet with groups such as Jane Fonda's. Jane Fonda, in her response to these new allegations, referred to the returning POWs as being "hypocrites and liars."

From a prisoner account (the one that was confirmed as true, and not the viral email that was shown to be a hoax, btw)

""I was a civilian economic development advisor in Vietnam, and was captured by the North Vietnamese communists in South Vietnam in 1968, and held for over 5 years. I spent 27 months in solitary confinement, one year in a cage in Cambodia, and one year in a "black box" in Hanoi. My North Vietnamese captors deliberately poisoned and murdered a female missionary, a nurse in a leprosarium in Ban me Thuot, South Vietnam, whom I buried in the jungle near the Cambodian border.

At one time, I was weighing approximately 90 lbs. (My normal weight is 170 lbs.) We were Jane Fonda's 'war criminals.'

When Jane Fonda was in Hanoi, I was asked by the camp communist political officer if I would be willing to meet with Jane Fonda. I said yes, for I would like to tell her about the real treatment we POWs received different from the treatment purported by the North Vietnamese, and parroted by Jane Fonda, as "humane and lenient." Because of this, I spent three days on a rocky floor on my knees with outstretched arms with a large amount of steel placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane till my arms dipped. I had the opportunity to meet with Jane Fonda for a couple of hours after I was released. I asked her if she would be willing to debate me on TV. She did not answer me."

To add insult to injury, when American POWs finally began to return home (some of them having been held captive for up to nine years) and describe the tortures they had endured at the hands of the North Vietnamese, Jane Fonda quickly told the country that they should "not hail the POWs as heroes, because they are hypocrites and liars." Fonda said the idea that the POWs she had met in Vietnam had been tortured was "laughable," claiming: "These were not men who had been tortured. These were not men who had been starved. These were not men who had been brainwashed." The POWs who said they had been tortured were "exaggerating, probably for their own self-interest," she asserted. She told audiences that "Never in the history of the United States have POWs come home looking like football players. These football players are no more heroes than Custer was. They're military careerists and professional killers" who are "trying to make themselves look self-righteous, but they are war criminals according to law."

Did she affect the outcome of the war? No. Was she pictured singing and having fun with enemy soldiers sitting on enemy equipment, looking like she was shooting down planes (other pictures)? Yes. Did she do/say the above? Yes.

But yes, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure it doesn't matter to some...but to others, it still does matter. Just like for my children and their children it won't register a blip on their radars probably.

As for "your lifetime" events that would enrage/elicit a response. One word/phrase.

9-11
  14. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    By this logic, neo-Nazis also shouldn't apologize for their sincere convictions that the Jews are exaggerating the Holocaust, right?
  15. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,975
    Partially, yes. She was using her celebrity status to hurt versus help. She was using her money to fund anti-war/communist activities. She was using her celebrity status to basically lend credence and help to an enemy, which of course brings an increased light to the enemy. She was basically becoming a spokesperson for the VC. It was her high profile that was helping the North Vietnamese. That's why they were parading her around. What do you think that did to the POW morale/soldier morale? This was a woman who was very beautiful at the time, famous - probably the subject of quite a few fantasies...and then she does THIS to them?

Fonda is constantly being praised and put on a pedestal by certain groups. And for a "communist" she certainly high-tailed it back to make plenty of money and then marry into even more money.
  16. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    She's free to do whatever she wants. And I'm free to hate her for it.
  17. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,158
    pretty much. she said some pretty ugly things. no one can be surprised is a lot of people still carry anger about that.

my guess is that a lot of people simply think she was a war protester and don't realize how far she took it.
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,897
    Well, I don't think we should expect anyone to apologize for something they aren't sorry for, Nazis or not , no matter how much we demand it.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    I thank some of you are missing the point Our government got up before the UN and praised her for what she did
  20. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,884
    She could have been tried, convicted, and executed for what she did without upsetting any principle of First Amendment jurisprudence or the underlying philosophy. She was "free to do it", but only in the same sense she would have been free to take the actual gun controls and try her luck on one of the pilots herself.
    • Like Like x 1