Hamas tactics exact high toll in Israeli ground thrust

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Jul 24, 2014.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    http://news.yahoo.com/hamas-tactics-exact-high-toll-israeli-ground-thrust-173119328.html

GAZA (Reuters) - Using tunnels, mines, booby traps and snipers, Hamas fighters have inflicted record casualties on Israeli troops waging an offensive in the Gaza Strip, applying years of training in urban warfare with a new tactical acumen and suicidal resolve.
    The Israelis say weapons and know-how supplied by Iran and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah make Hamas a more formidable foe.
    Four days after Israel launched a withering ground assault on the Palestinian Islamist militants in their stronghold of Shejaia following intensive air strikes, the army still does not have complete control of the area.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    After they get control then they have the added problem of keeping it. Just ask the Americans who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  3. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Urban fighting is always bloody, drastically levels the technological playing field; once your infantry squads get into the close fight it's back to the same style of warfare witnessed since the late 19th century. It gets worse when you are trying to minimize collateral damage (as they should, within reason) because you transition to positive ID of a target and away from "known or suspected enemy locations". Basically the plain clothed defenders get to shoot first.

I don't think the IDF have the intention of staying beyond the conclusion of their offensive.
  4. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648

Coming from a friend who was in Vietnam:

He told me the worst part was the good guys and the bad guys all looked alike. When I asked him how he dealt with that his answer was:

"Shoot anything that moves."

Still not sure to this day if he was half joking or dead serious but he wasn't laughing or smiling when he said it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    I wasn't there in Vietnam or Gaza so I have no way of knowing. I have witnessed guys truly doing the best they can to get positive ID. It's not perfect but it prevents guys from going Ganges Khan style.
  6. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,648
    No way was that meant as a condemnation of my friend. I have no clue what I would have done in his situation. I do know that he married, had children and worked hard all his life since he came from a poor family. However there are times you can see him sitting in a parking lot in his truck just staring off into space.