Haanif Cheatham

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, May 9, 2014.

1. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Another question for those in the know. So it seems like we really want another combo guard for 15. When Cheatham came and visited with Grandstaff he walked away with no scholarship. Grandstaff is gone, Billy offered Simon late and now Simon is gone. Now it seems like we are going after Eric Davis. By all accounts Cheatham wants to be a Gator he is just waiting on an offer. Also, Cheatham is a prototypical combo guard, he can play point or shooting guard. Why are we messing around with this kid? He is a top 100 guy. Do we feel we have that great of a shot with Davis to hold out on Cheatham? What do you guys know? Lets hear it.

Another tidbit is that Egbunu was going to visit Arizona this weekend until Anderson committed yesterday. Sean cancelled his visit as they are at 13 scholarships for 14. Egbunu has recently added Va Tech as a visit. I really hope we can grab Egbunu. I imagine it'll be a fight with John Thompson, Jr. Although one wonders why he'd be visiting Va. Tech now.
  2. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,265
    The lead ASST in Egbunu's recruitment at USF is now on staff at Va Tech with Buzz Williams...

On Cheatham, although I firmly believe he is a big time kid and easily UF caliber, and so do all the HS coaches I still know in FL do as well, we have never really liked his game....we were going to eval him last July in the open period, but he got hurt and we could not see him...we will watch him in July and re-evaluate, but barring a major shift in the staff's thoughts on him, he is not getting a UF offer....great kid too
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Thank you Bullis. Questions answered. Any chance you guys could hook me up with good deal on a premium subscription for all of the Arizona information I bring here? haha.

And I like Cheatham too. Maybe our coaches will like him a little more when they re-evaluate.
  4. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    That's interesting, Bullis.
  5. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    I'm not so sure we "really want another combo guard for 15". I think the coaches would be content to pick up Kapita and be done unless a huge fish comes by.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    That's not really supported by the evidence of us putting out an offer to Simon after we got the commitment from Allen, though.
  7. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    I think it's the name that's holding us back. Haanif Cheatham sounds too much like "Had enough cheatin"
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    I think that further makes my cake. Simon was a "huge fish", the #1 PG on Scout. With Allen in the fold we have the ability to put in for the big time players that fit our system and if we don't land them we don't land them. Our focus right now is getting a quality big to go along with Kevarrius Hayes.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    What about us going for Eric Davis now? I think it's pretty clear we want another SG/PG combo type. Weak year for point guards.
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    I'm not saying we are going to stop recruiting quality guards. It just isn't a priority. Our priority is another big for the year. Any extra guards are gravy and need to be high quality players who fit our system. Clearly the coaches don't feel like Cheatham fits that mold. We aren't taking a guard just to take a guard.
  11. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    I don't see how that makes your cake, you need sugar, flour, eggs, leavening agent, etc for that
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Yeah, and as everyone knows, you can't make your cake, have it, and eat it too. Physical impossibility.