G'ville Sun Article: Florida position breakdown: Backfield

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,095
    But there's no factual evidence to support it other then knowing his philosophy. Well that and Will saying he didn't call plays. I won't call the man a liar without evidence.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    When Will said "we need to be multiple and spread the field" which he has said a zillion times, what happened?

Have we ever won a game under him trying to throw the ball and spread the field more? (the answer is no)

Why not? Poor pass protection, limited receiving options, and spotty QB play combined to allow defenses to squeeze the field with impunity and force high numbers of turn overs.

Some of those problems have to be on the coachng staff, but some are very clearly on the chithole of an offensive roster he inherited and extremely bad luck with injuries.

He is on his third recruiting class, so he should have had enough time to recover from the roster issues and field a competent offense. Seems to have a strong OC on board too. We'll see soon enough.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    I'll believe all the good things we've been hearing about the offense when I see it on the field.

I still have my doubts about Jeff Driskel as a QB in this league.

Hopefully Driskel will have better play around him at OL, RB, and WR, and that will lead to a better performance.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    into a 7th round pick
  5. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Boom. (no WM pun intended)
  6. GatorStang

GatorStang Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    Wasn't quite my point, but if you are trying to argue against me, you actually made more of a case for me ;)
  7. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    IMHO I think Will is and will be recognized as time goes by as an excellent Gator coach. That said, I heard several times in post game interviews that he "stepped on Pease's neck" and told him to call running plays. In some cases we won and others we lost. In the 2012 FSU game in Tallahassee at the end we rammed the ball down their throats running the ball at the end and won. The same was true against LSU that year. Will tried to do the same thing last year with a depleted OL and it didn't work. This year we have a different set of circumstances (more depth in OL and at WR) with a new OC with a great scheme. Putting our skeptics concerns aside for a moment, the offense has a chance to be less predictable and more creative against defenses that are set up to defend against our previous patterns.

Let me put it another way and bluntly. We have an a good chance to have a big season with Roper at the controls of our offense. But if Will continues to force the run and it doesn't work I believe it will be his last season as our head coach.

Nick Saban lost to Auburn's wide open offense. We lost to Georgia Southern another different type of offense that employed a variety of unfamiliar plays. The hurry-up with a good play mix of passes and runs will create problems for our opponents.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    This is all true, however, I do believe that our personnel dictated the way we played as much as anything else, we were heavily scewed towards defensive talent, very heavily. If we agree that's true, the best way to win is to not beat yourself and lean on the d. It worked well in 2012, last year was a calamity of misfortune. I think the talent is better on offense, it's still not great and the depth isn't great either, which is why I call this year basecamp. I believe we are good enough to give people problems. We still need some meat on our bones though.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,095
    Savage,

If you're talking about a critical point in a game then yes I'd agree; but I'm sure every coach does that. However, your original statement sounded as though he interfered often and that's not the case. Pease had full reign. I just don't think he's that great of an OC.
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    I was just pointing out the loefler was vastly overrated and Roper has results to back up his hype.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    Will's natural instinct is one of ball control with great defense and no turnovers on offense. His tendency is to run more because it eats the clock and has less risk. The problem is that everyone on our schedule knows that and counts on it. Our offense this year has more playmakers and starts out with the opportunity to be unpredictable. It needs to stay that way if we are to win games against our toughest rivals.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    No the problem was personnel, they knew it in 2012 also, we went 11-1. Admittedly it was the ugliest 11-1 known to mankind, but it was still nice to win and boy the way we ended against fsu made the entire year worth it. I think roper will be a breadth of fresh air, however if you can replicate what saban does at bama that's still the most sure fire way to winning, but let's only do that when the personnel allows us that luxury, until then, let's let it fly!
  13. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    As I said we start the season with a better set of circumstances and better personnel. I especially like Chris Leak as our wr receiver coach. I hope that he can keep our guys focused and out of trouble!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    What's ironic about the whole preventing turnovers thing, is that UF had a ton of turnovers in 2011 and 2013.
  15. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    As a result ball security will be stressed like never before unless I miss my guess.
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    Both years we tried to do more with the pass game as compared to 2012. It's no coincidence.

That said, OL, WR and QB positions should all be better this year (crossing my fingers on QB) and that will make a difference.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Didn't Jeff have a high number of INTs in the spring? Maybe that was just learning the new system...maybe not. I just hope he doesn't force things like he's one occasionally in his career...
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I am looking forward to the Fall mostly with optimism, but if we don't have some vertical threats that defenses are forced to account for, I can imagine them closing down the field and jumping short routes we normally go to based on defensive alignments and pressures. That thought scares me.

I really hope JD has honed an accurate deep ball with some touch and we put it to good use early and often to keep defenses honest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    So, a thread/news article about the quality of our skill positions has turned into a debate about where our coaching quality has been. Man, I did not see that coming.;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,038
    With this new scheme Jeff should have a better chance of completions given more capable receivers being open quickly on each play. He should have a good receiving tight end, a healthy Debose and backs out of the backfield along with our seasoned WR's. Up tempo should make it harder for DB's and LB's to figure out who all to cover.