Guns are welcome at this restaurant in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Jul 19, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,287
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    [​IMG]

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, WHAT aBOUT the CHILdreeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnn???!!!!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,150
    i wouldn't eat there.
    exactly. what about the children? so you get say, one bad guy, holding up the register or something. but instead of waiting for cops, several do gooder vigilantes whip out those weapons and try to be the hero. like i said, plural. say there's more than one. everyone starts shooting. so, who gets hit in the crossfire?

oh yeah, of course this would never ever happen.
  4. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,287
    always the exception with you libs- always the exception
  5. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,063
    So you think someone will try to hold up a register where most of the clientele has guns? Generally people holding up registers do it where they know they can expect the least resistance.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    This restaurant didn't have you in mind when she adopted this policy.
  7. sneakygator

sneakygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Not against the policy but if the food sucks I'm not going there.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,410
    I would be more worried about the combo of alcohol and guns. You think about how many fights at bars, then throw guns in - accident waiting to happen.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,150
    i know that there's less violent crimes per capita in countries that have less guns floating around the general population
  10. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,150
    i don't recall saying that they did
  11. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,287
    verti, are you sure that does not have more to do with the punishments doled out
  12. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,150
    exceptions count you know. there is no acceptable number of innocent civilians/diners being killed in the crossfire by some gun toting 'do gooders'
  13. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,150
    this is the one that bugs me most. school shootings.

The United States of America has more school shootings than any other country.

Look at a map of worldwide school shootings since 1996, or at lists of primary and secondary school attacks across the globe. It's not even close. If there's a school shooting in the world, odds are it's in the USA.

Why? What is it that the U.S. is doing wrong or that other countries are doing right?

There's no easy answer to this question, but one thing is clear: armed guards at schools aren't making the difference. There are very few countries that put armed guards or armed teachers in their schools. Thailand and Israel do, but mostly to protect schoolchildren against militant separatists and terrorists, not against a Columbine or a Sandy Hook.

Maybe having armed guards in U.S. schools would, as the National Rifle Association (NRA) suggests, make our schools safer. But we're still left wondering, why should we have to resort to armed guards when so many other countries keep their schoolchildren safe without them?

One possibility is that we have higher rates of mental illness than other countries. Or (more likely) that we do a worse job of identifying people who are mentally ill and keeping them from committing acts of violence. After all, many of the mass shootings in the U.S., school and otherwise, have been committed by the mentally ill.

Now, while I imagine that there's something to be learned from how other countries manage mental illness, I doubt this is the whole story. Is it really the case that our mental health system is so much worse than that of every other country in the world - from Australia to France to Malaysia to Russia to Vietnam - that a majority of the world's school shootings take place here and nowhere else? I don't buy it.

Another possibility is that we're simply a more violent culture than other countries. This isn't exactly a popular conclusion, because it amounts to saying we're less moral than the rest of the globe. But maybe there is something about our culture - our entertainment, politics, social expectations, etc. - that makes us more prone to violence. Then again, given how pervasive our culture is, why don't other countries have similar levels of gun violence at schools? There must be more to it.

Consider another possibility: the U.S. has more guns per capita (about 89 per 100 people) than any other country in the world, and one of the highest rates of gun deaths in the world (about 10 per 100,000). Perhaps it comes down to access to guns. We have more school shootings (and gun deaths in general) because, in the U.S., it's easier for someone who wishes to do harm to others to get their hands on a gun.

China, for instance, has about four times as many people as the U.S. and presumably fewer resources dedicated to managing mental illness. And they've recently had several violent attacks in schools. But those attacks have been overwhelmingly hack-and-stab attacks rather than shootings.

But even here, things aren't so simple. Other countries that also have high rates of gun ownership - Serbia (58 per 100 people), Switzerland (46), Finland (45), and Cyprus (36) - have nothing like our rates of school shootings or gun-related deaths more generally. And then there are countries with higher rates of gun-related deaths than the U.S. - such as Panama (18 per 100,000), Uruguay (14), and Mexico (11) - that have fewer guns per capita than we do (22, 32, and 15, respectively) and also fewer school shootings.

Beyond them is a host of countries - Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden - with 30 or more guns per capita (on the high side, globally), that all have relatively low rates of gun-related deaths and few school shootings. These countries "have it all" in the sense of having lots of gun ownership without the violent consequences.

So, what on earth is going on?

All I can say is that there's some destructive mixture of factors at work in the U.S. that doesn't appear in any other country. What those factors are is a mystery, and so we're left without a simple solution. What could be the one thing that every other country has that the U.S. doesn't?

Probably an "all of the above" answer is our best hope: we should do more to diagnose and treat mental illness as soon as possible. We should ask our culture to depict violence as a necessary evil at best, rather than treating it as a source of entertainment. And we should insist that an armed citizenry be a more responsible citizenry, perhaps treating gun ownership more like Switzerland does.

Hopefully some combination of this will bear results. But, until then, we need to keep asking ourselves, what is so defective and deviant about the United States of America that it should have to put armed guards in its schools when virtually no other country has to do so in order to protect its kid

http://politix.topix.com/story/9527-why-does-the-u-s-have-more-school-shootings-than-everywhere-else

regarding switzerland:
    Gun politics in Switzerland are unique in Europe. The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training. The personal weapons of the militia are kept at home as part of the military obligations, however it is not allowed to keep the ammunition; Switzerland thus has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world.[1] In recent times a minority of political opposition has expressed a desire for tighter gun regulations.[2]A referendum in February 2011 rejected stricter gun control.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

see, highest ownership, or close to it, in the world, but they're not carrying them into restaurants and department stores.
  14. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,077
    Any restaurant in Tennessee that doesn't specifically post a sign outside forbidding guns allows them. These people just figured out a way to get some free advertising out of it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. vertigo0923

Ratings Received:
    +5,150
    true that.
  16. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,825
    Who really feels the need to carry a gun to go out to eat? Are they really expecting danger, or is it like a 14-year-old who discovers he can cuss and no one can stop him?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    It's the resturant's right of course to OK or prohibit firearms but I would not be comfortable in those surroundings. Just could be a nut in the crowd sitting by me if I were there. Why take a chance?

And no way would I be there if they also served alcohol, and of course that includes beer. I would think they would not serve alcohol. At least I would hope so.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,169
    I thought the intriguing thing about that was the name Brew and Chew? So this is Tennessee right?

What do they chew with?
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,527
    Brew and Gum just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,287

in the video on the link in the OP the owner explains the name