Guess What Group is Getting Food Stamps at an Alarming Rate

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jan 17, 2014.

1. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    I can't remember the last time I shopped at Walmart and had any interaction with a Walmart employee. Could it be that government run education, illegitimacy and our other cultural ills are making Obama supporters less valuable to companies like Walmart?
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,450
    That's a nice speech Mr. Lebowski, but plenty of people go to school or do internships to improve their skills or learn skills that will eventually land them jobs that don't pay food stamp salaries. So, I personally don't mind "subsidizing the lifestyle" of a future doctor or engineer pulling down 9k a year TAing or adjuncting.
  3. The_Ultimate_Gator

The_Ultimate_Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    So go ahead and write them a check. Just don't force me to do the same.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,450
    I don't have to force you. Go ahead and quit your job, or find one that gives you 0 income tax liability, or stop paying taxes altogether, or get enough people to vote with you and change the food stamp laws. You've got plenty of choices if you cant stand this state of affairs. I'm not going to stop you.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. finorman

finorman Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Can I suggest working more 40 hours a week. Are there any veterans on this board who while in the military worked less than 40 hours a week, at any point during their service.
    As a civilian I heard there's even a bonus if you work more than 40 hrs a week.
  6. finorman

finorman Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Do we really have 2 million interns?
  7. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
  8. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    You must frequent sushi bars. Try actually going in to a McDonalds or other fast food restaurant and look at their employees.
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Upward mobility and full employment occurs with economic growth. You want to enlighten us as to how Obamacare and other regime policies have created a 'better' environment for economic growth. What ever happened to his "jobs council"? Perhaps he should pivot to a "drop out of the workplace" summit. Our President is a frickin lightweight, liar and a joke...to all but liberal elites who don't know jack $hit and hollywood types who are in lala land.
  10. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Good point. When I was a college kid, I worked 70-80 hours week during summers. Had plenty of money. Bought 2 cars while in college. Had no debt. As a young adult, I worked 70-80 hours week building a career and life. Plenty of others on this board have done the same and more. As an older adult, I put hundreds of thousands of $ into starting and growing a business to support myself and my family. Many thousands of hours and sleepless nights. Plenty of others on this board have done the same.

When libbies bitch and complain about income inequality, my response is get your ass to work getting an education and plan on working harder to build a career and life and there will not be. But don't ever expect income equality without education and effort. And don't expect taxpayers t0 create income equality. One must be willing to work, save and invest. So libbies and those you wish to assist...Get off your asses.
  11. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,879
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and he feeds himself for a lifetime.

Minimum wage is supposed to be a place where we teach people how to fish. Now we want to give them as many fish as we can rationalize. As long as we disassociate ourselves from the social fabric and merely "feed the bucket at Christmastime" then we ARE building a nation of permanent dependents. And we have a political party that sees that as a pretty good opportunity for remaining the majority party.

And if we can't break the cycle by getting involved beyond writing checks then this freedom experiment is running through its cycle. JMHO
  12. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    If certain posters spent half as much time working at their primary job or finding a second job or furthering their skills or developing "in demand" skills, as they did researching articles talking about the causes of income inequality, their income would be more equal to those who have.

The "have nots" will continue to be "have nots" as long as they continue the same behavior that put them in that status. Government and giveaway programs will not change their lives.
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +129
    A little distortion goes a long way. The linked article from Heritage compares the food stamp (SNAP) participation of able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs ) in 2007 with their participation in 2010 (three years ago by the way). In 2007 the unemployed rate averaged below 5%; in 2010 unemployment averaged above 9% (see the graph below). This is especially relevant since ABAWDs are limited to participation in the program unless they work or are participating in an employment and training program or the state in which they reside has requested and received a waiver from the work requirement based on high unemployment. [​IMG]
  14. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    Who says an able-bodied adult can only work 40 hours per week? Until the early 1900's, everyone worked Saturday and Sunday.