Guess we can kiss the ole Capital One Cup goodbye this year?

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by Gator515151, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    It's a shame because one more win in football and one or two more in basketball and we would be running away with it this year. A deceint track finish and we wouldn't have needed any baseball points.
  2. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    Do you really care about that stupid cup...?. As long as baseball football and basketball are rolling it is all good with me. I know that's not politically correct but .....
  3. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I wouldn't count us out of the Men's Cup just yet. We have golf, tennis, baseball (and they are looking better) and T and F left. If the golf goes top 10 and track repeats (very possible) we are right there. And if baseball goes on a streak...

The more interesting race might be on the Women's side. We are in 19th place with 17 points. With gymnastics, lacrosse, softball, and tennis all legit contenders with golf and T & F capable of good finishes they could surprise Stanford.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gator515151

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Maybe I wrote the baseball team off early. And yes this cup means something to me, I'd like to own the cup like Sanford owns the directors cup.
  5. JAWS

JAWS Chatroom Hitman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Stanford will probably win the Women's Capital Cup again. Their overall women's program is what gets them all their points for the Director's Cup.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    How is baseball scored in the Cup standings?
  7. Gator515151

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Baseball is a triple x score.

1=60
    2=36
    3=30
    4=24
    5=20
    6=16
    7=12
    8=9
    9=6
    10=3

We should get the bulk of our remaining points from outdoor track which is a 2x score

1=40
    2=24
    3=20
  8. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    There is no double scoring any longer. Single and Triple only.

Outdoor is triple. As is lacrosse, baseball, football, soccer and basketball.

All other sports are single.

On the Women's side--soccer, volleyball, basketball, lacrosse, softball and outdoor are triple. Again no double scoring. That gives me hope of us overtaking Stanford in the end.

Stanford racks up points in womens sports that few schools have. Going head to head against us they could lose this year with strong showings in the postseason by lacrosse, softball and outdoor.
  9. Gator515151

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Thanks, you are right. I seem to remember they did away with 2x scores. I was doing that from memory, my laptop for some reason will not download the scoreing system from the cap one site.
  10. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    A quick update:

We are now 4th in the Directors Cup. Michigan leads with 914 and we have 748. Stanford in 2 and PSU is 3. f$u is in 10th with 614.

In the Cap One--women are now in 8th with 27. Stanford leads still with 80.5. Lacrosse, softball, and outdoor track are triple. Golf and tennis are single.

The men are 17th with 26. Indiana and Michigan lead with 76. Outdoor track and baseball are triple scores and golf and tennis are single.

When all is said and done we will keep the streak alive in the Directors Cup, probably finish top 10 in Cap One Men--if golf can rebound and tennis stays hot!

I still think there is a shot for the Women to take the Cap One. Lacrosse and softball are going to finish high and maybe even #1 and track women are currently ranked # 6. Golf--we will see. Tennis will get us good points.
  11. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Is there a publicized rationale for why sports like lacrosse and outdoor track are worth triple points?

They seem much more comparable to the single point sports from the standpoint of participation, attendance, revenue, etc. Are the execs at Capital One alumni of schools who dominate these sports or something?
  12. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I don't know. There is nothing on the website and I even waded through their FB page and there is no explanation.

They have tinkered with the scoring after each award. Last year, you may recall, they had a 2X scoring section as well.

Now just the single and triple. Soccer, outdoor t & f, lacrosse, softball, baseball, football, volleyball, and basketball are the triples.

Perhaps these are the sports with the most schools who compete? Maybe the most popular with high schoolers?
  13. hgators

hgators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +766
    I'm sorry, those who think that F, B and B are all that matter are 'nole-like in their thinking.

What happens on Saturday is VERY important, but being great in everything, and competing in all sports at a high level is what makes being a Gator special.
  14. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,859
    Tho way back in ladies points we will get first place points for gymnastics and could get good points for tennis, softball and lacrosse
  15. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Gymnastics has already been added into the totals on both cups.
  16. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Absolutely agree.

Which is why I like the Cap One better than the Directors Cup. In the DC every sport (up to 10 each gender) is given equal weight. In the Cap One they are trying to make things more sensible. Stanford gets to count sports that very few teams contest when it comes to the DC. At least in the Cap One only certain sports are counted--no water polo, rifle, fencing etc.
  17. Gator515151

Ratings Received:
    +114
    My biggest beef with the cap 1 cup is that the 1st place team in Division 1AA football gets the same number of points as the #1 team in 1A so a team can play a small college schedule and still score 60 points for football.
  18. hgators

hgators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +766
    My issue with the Dir Cup is that schools with more sports than others get to take the best of, so Stanford is always going to have an edge with those sports.

We're the only school in the top 10 for the last 30 plus years...that is a program!

Go Gators!!!
  19. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    In the grand scheme I don't think it matters. The top FCS schools do not compete in enough sports to have any impact in the final standings. They may finish in the top 10 but no realistic chance of winning in all likelyhood.
  20. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    That's the thing though. Lacrosse has only 100 women's teams and 63 men's teams this year. Compare that to 300+ for tennis, 250+ for golf, nearly 200 for swimming, etc. Granted, it is growing rapidly, at least on the women's side, since it has large roster size and is a cheap and easy way to stay compliant with Title IX. Still it seems kind of comical to award triple points for a sport with such low participation, even if it will (knock on wood) benefit our women this year.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Cap One Cup's idea to weight the sports, but it would feel more legitimate if it was done in a logical manner.

I'd also like to see FCS football demoted to single points. Schools that want triple points can go FBS (where most of them are making a beeline for anyways).