Guess the honeymoon is over in Columbus. ..

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Dec 10, 2013.

1. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    No, it was not Urban's or Mullen's duty to fix his throwing motion or prepare him for the NFL. Look what has happened since all these so called QB experts have started messing around with his footwork and motion. Now he cannot hit the broad side of a barn and thinks too much. If I fault Urban and Mullen for something is that they taught him to not turn the ball over too much and to only throw the ball when the receiver is wide open. In the NFL, you have to throw the ball in tight spots and you have to take chances. In college, Tebow could always scramble his way out of the pocket, not so much in the NFL. He also was rarely asked to throw slants and crossing routes which are the bread and butter of beat the blitz throws.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    I remember The Liar actually saying HE DIDNT COACH THEM because they were already mad from lack of media respect!
  3. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +184
    I got you. But you're probably in the minority. There can be no doubt about a collective smirk across the face of the Gator nation regarding the Buckeyes' loss. Also, whether you are reveling in Meyer's pain or not does not mean you're not taking the piss out of OSU fans a bit. You are very much enjoying their disappointment, are you not?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  4. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Tebow struggles in the nfl because qbs have to throw the receivers open as opposed to college where someone is usually open and you hit them. He holds the ball to long hoping a wr gets open.

His other problem is he was not taught to read a defense before the snap and never really mastered that in the nfl. That is squarely on Meyer and Mullen.
  5. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +458
    Agreed. I don't blame the coaches for not fixing his throwing motion. I think that is way over rated. However, reading defenses is his biggest flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  6. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    This is pure poppycock. Urban did a great job at Florida for 4 of his 6 seasons. He coached to win in 2006 and 2008 and was not conservative in big moments of big games. I can think of a half dozen examples of Urban pushing the envelope in big games during our 2 title runs. The constant revisionist history that downplays the success of coaches and players formerly at this program is frustrating. Urban left us with 2 more NC's and another Heisman. Yes, the program was also left in a dumpster on fire, but I would say anybody here would make the trade again.

As for his current coaching, the problem as I see it remains his playcalling since 2009. tOSU continues to run an offense that completely lacks imagination and timely play calls. This is the problem more so than being conservative. All of the play calls against MSU have been the same calls he has been making since 2009. Too much of the offense is relient on the QB to make plays himself. As games wear on he completely takes his skilled players and running backs out of the offense. The ingenuity and forward thinking that used to define Urban's SO offense has never been the same since Dan Mullen left him.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. docspor

docspor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Your post said "as florida fans". I took it as a general statement & I wholeheartedly agree with it. In sports I embrace schadenfreude like crazy. Why anyone would take exception is strange to say the least.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Urban left the Gators in less than an honorable way. His excuses were rampant.However he won us tewo NC's and I'll be forever grateful for that. All great teams have good coaches and great players. Meyer inherited Alex Smith at Utah, Chris leak and Tim Tebow at Florida allong with many other talented playerss at all positions. Once Tim was going to graduate Meyer realized the team was going to fall back some and he bailed just like he did at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. He'll do it again especially if Notre Dame job opens up.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. docspor

docspor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    My dislike of OSU is simple & pre-dates Urbs. It's born of good ole resentment. They benefit from extreme affirmative action. Every year my kid (UF) has to take a really hard test & their kid takes a really EZ test, yet they are graded on almost the exact same scale & the "school" they are trying to get into only accepts 2 kids a year (4 starting next year). Right now, there is a dude on hineygate belly aching that they have to play Mich the week before the BiG CG. WOW. My kid's trying to invert a matrix while they while cuz their brat has to identify a triangle. The silver lining, of course, is that when they run into my kid, he shoves the triangle up their soft a$$es.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,285
    True about their fans. I haven't liked tOSU for years...I can't deny that. Not so much an Urban thing to me though.
    My point here though, was that some there are literally turning on him after one loss....out of 25 games....to a top 10 team. If we "ran" him off here (doubtful) than what are they doing?

Your point is valid though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    Meyer beat Bama and Shula for Tebow, he didn't inherit him.

I also hated OSU before Meyer. So if they are not happy with only two Meyer recruiting classes coming off a Tressel probation, just think what he could do at Texas.
  12. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    There are worse things written about Billy Donovan in a game thread.....when we are winning- picking and choosing quotes from an internet message board to try and prove dislike is like shooting fish in a barrel.
  13. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    Wonder if Meyer could have quit without losing twenty pounds and looking like crap. You know, the pics of him when he was sick that some still deny as fact. Hate don't make it true.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. NiftyGator

NiftyGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +143
    Think what you want but his parents went to Florida and their house was decorated in UF gear when coaches drove to recruit him. Maybe he was "considering" other big schools like Alabama, USC and others, but who doesn't want that attention when you are a homeschooler? LOL about Meyer to Texas. If Meyer would ever go to Texas, that would be his resting place.

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,285
    Actually it was very close and he made the decision 2 hours before the announcement:

16. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,227
    Meyer hasn't been the same without Dan Mullen.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tricky23

tricky23 Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I remember in the 2008 FSU game in the monsoon that Urban said he wanted to scratch the gameplan and go ultraconservative in the rain. Mullen had to plead with him to keep the open plan and be aggressive. Urban finally agreed and we hung 45 on them. Urban needs an O coordinator to be opinionated.
  18. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +967
    I wonder if the current Meyer is like Spurrier was after he came back to college football? Both are not the same as their first go around.
  19. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    OSU is 24-1 since Meyer's arrival and they're complaining? Send him back here if you don't want him, Bucknuts!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    "Life in big time head coaching" does not usually translate to playing the easiest 25 games to ever start a tenure in history. Urban started to lose his brilliance when THAT defense lost some guys and when he lost arguably the greatest collegiate threats of last 25 years--Percy Harvin.