GTL The next step to energy independence

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Oct 1, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    I worked for a firm in Colorado that specialized in oil and gas law. With oil prices over the last decade there have been plenty of companies looking at what used to be considered throw away properties. Go to any rural Colorado county's Recorder's Office and it will be packed with paranoid people. They look at each person like they're trying to steal the land they're looking at mineral rights for.
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    they have bought large positions in oil and gas fields around the US. The opportunity to do so has presented itself because those small to mid cap domestic drillers needed funding to finance their drilling. Meanwhile, the US is guaranteeing low interest loans so that Brazil can recover and market their oil but our homegrown oil and gas companies are paying between 5% and 12% for their capital.

which deal are you referring to? do you have mineral rights in the area??? N. Colorado is starting to produce lots of oil now too. BCEI and SYRG are my two favorite companies there and have been very good for my 401k over the last year as they prove up the Wattenberg basin.
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    It doesn't protect you from volatility within that market but every other market it touches. Orange market? Not so much. Oil market? Every single other market.

You want to go through another oil embargo? Didn't think so.
  4. docspor

docspor Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I don't know what you are talking about.
  5. docspor

docspor Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    here is the deal I was referring to.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/asia-china/2011/02/01/289783/CNOOC-pays.htm

I have no mineral rights. Just heard about a poor rancher who is now getting royalties of 2m a month.

I have done some O&G consulting....in fact I am having lunch with some Encana folks tomorrow. The most interesting O&G consulting deal was for the S. Ute Indian tribe in SW Colo back in '98. I'll have to share those wacky details sometime.
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Electric use is much larger than transport fuel use.

Reducing demand for transport fuels makes our own supply go further.

As someone who started hating OPEC and those who collude with them after the oil embargo.
    Color me as one without trust in an import that has already been cut off from us in trying times
  7. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +486
    The new massive wind machines move so slow the bird ratio is the same for flying into one
    as a building..

On the night thing. Peak electric use is between ten am and nine pm. Meaning solar
    helps when it is most needed

While you guys are fighting it corporations arrindtslling it to the point electric companies are bitching
    Except perhaps FPL which is going to an all electric fleet cars and trucks as much as possible
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Windmill-farm-seeks-permit-to-kill-eagles-4847110.php

lot of formerly "poor" ranchers and farmers cashing big checks these days. funny how the MSM does little to no reporting on just how big an impact the O & G sector has had on our economy. Where would we be under 0 without the stimulus that this sector has provided?
  9. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Gotcha...posting your concern about wind power and birds must mean you are also concerned about ANWAR and the nesting grounds for hundreds of bird
    species.
    Or the fish killed when streams are ruined by topping mountains.
    Or the mercury from coal burning that ends up in our fish food stocks.

Or people who are losing their fresh water supply to fracking.
    Wind and solar hurt fewer animals and none of the humans unlike those

killed in coal mines.

For every bird hurt by wind I can show you a human
    killed at a refinery or mine.
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,657
    just refuting that statement

and people are not losing their fresh water supply to fracking. I know that some want to believe that but it has been proven again and again that the gas in the water wells is not from fracking. if 0 and his EPA hit men could prove that fracking was spoiling fresh water supplies it would be shut down tomorrow. they have tried to do that again and again and lost multiple law suits in the process.

mercury emissions were cut a long time ago. old subject. that couldn't kill coal so they used the GW religion as a basis to enact executive orders claiming CO2 was a hazard due to GW. guess we need to kill every living thing that uses oxygen and produces CO2 since it is so dangerous

how much earth is moved to generate the rare earth elements that are used in windmills and solar panels? how much environmental oversight is there in China where all that production is taking place?

I agree that mountain topping isn't good and should not be allowed but of all the coal produced only a relatively small percentage is from topping. thousands of birds killed every day by windmills so I seriously doubt you could back up your claim about number of humans killed at refineries or in mines in the US.

of course house cats kill more birds than windmills, mining, and drilling combined so maybe we need to attack that problem first.

wind and solar drive up the price of electricity and make us less competitive on a intl level which costs us jobs

and just for entertainment, the oil industry and the environmental groups combined together to commission a study examining the release of methane from wells and surprise, the actual amount of methane being released was 97% less than what EPA was claiming as recently as 2011

here you go from the huffington blow..er. I mean post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-entine/shale-gas-study-showing-m_b_3984066.html

11. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +486
    The cost for solar per watt has lowered to purchased power
    from the electric plant. That is why corporatioñs are installing. You might want to call the CEO of Walmart
    and tell him he isnt doing it your way.

It is funny as hell to me that you are now the champion of eagles and mining
    pollution. Coal has not had some magic genie take the mercury out.
    Anytime pollution controls are mentioned to add scrubbers to smoke stacks
    all we hear is how it raises the cost...

No matter, while you try to convince your choir, wind and solar keep adding electric. I am for NG but wonder why some want us to remain hostage to OPEC.
    Oil only will never rid us from them.