Gregg Doyel rips, kills, destroys Dwight Howard....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Jul 4, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,687
    CBSsports.com reporter and UF grad Gregg Doyel has little love for Howard. He kills him in this recent article and absolutely destroyed him on Mike and Mike yesterday. Calling him a Loser and a Joke multiple times.

As an Orlando fan, who supported Howard for far to long, this article is "Gold Jerry...Gold!!!" :grin:

2. GreenGatorGuy6218

GreenGatorGuy6218 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Great article! Any team that signs Dwightmare needs to have their head examined.
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    I'm a big Gregg Doyel fan, but he can be prone to hyperbole at times. Love his writing style though and how he's not afraid to call people out.
  4. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    Orlando with a good/right coach was pretty good with Howard and pretty bad without Howard and that coach. Maybe the Lakers last year just failed to decide who they were and had a bunch of ill fitting players coached by an unimaginative coach who could not modify his style to best use the players he had. I will also note the Knicks were pretty bad with said coach the prior year and were pretty good the next year with a different coach.

Finally, sometimes a guy with a bad back is never as good as he was before back surgery. Sometimes it take a year after the surgery to get back to form. We shall see with Howard.
  5. iceman44

iceman44 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,366
    So Greg Doyel knows so much more than people whose job it is, is to know pro basketball? And to really let them know that he does?

Doyel is an ass. Simply put.
  6. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,687
    Knowing pro-basketball, and having a job that requires one to "know" pro-basketball has nothing to do with ones ability to critique/managing/coach pro basketball.

Sincerely,
    Isaiah Thomas

P.S. Doyel mentioned in the radio interview that he could be proven wrong if Dwight grows up and stops being a diva. He never questioned his talent. He questioned his heart. Who doesn't at this point.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,974
    If I were a Magic fan, that piece might resonate with me. But as a hoops fan in general, and as someone who is shocked that Doyel's unprofessional invectives get posted by a CBS web team that obviously doesn't spend much time editing its pieces, I think this is mindless garbage. He doesn't reflect any knowledge of the game in his arguments, he attacks people personally rather than critiquing their games, and he seldom substantiates his points with direct quotations from involved parties or even anonymous quotations from competent authorities. Pretty terrible journalism, even if it does resonate with some (and for valid reasons in their cases).
  8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Doyel just tries to elicit an emotional response. He rarely brings any insight to topics he writes about.
  9. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +679
    Exactly. Pretty much how I feel about him. He's annoying when he isn't on your side, but he usually has a pretty good grasp on public opinion.
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    great article....very true

except Duncan is a power-forward, not a center
  11. medigator

medigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,492
    Orlando is STUPID for firingStan Van Gundy ! Very good coach imo..
  12. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,687
    Yep. My guess is the new management team would have loved him.
  13. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,687
    I think that's the point though. He writes opinion pieces.

....and in this case I like his opinion. :grin:
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,974
    But even editorials are expected to conform to some specific journalistic standards, including substantiation of one's argument, documentation with sources, etc. He has skipped all of that for opinion and he does it far too often, or at least in every piece I have read of his. But in general I think the entire journalistic enterprise has jumped the shark with the internet as print watched its advertising revenue plummet and decided competing with the Bleacher Report was a laudable and sustainable goal.

Regardless, I don't begrudge you your opinion on Howard. It would be hard not to feel that way if I were a Magic fan. Fortunately, though, I have teeth and no mullet, so I don't qualify as one.
  15. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,459
    let me devil's advocate here.

1. people are after dwight howard because players with his potential don't grow on trees. it's real simple in that league compared to any other league. you can't win jack without superstar talent. period. end of story. it's why a franchise just traded 3 1st round draft picks for 3 players receiving social security (and bill simmons is an idiot if he thought boston could get more).

2. dwight howard is correct about the 2009 orlando magic. rafer austin, tony battie, keith bogans, brian cook, adonal foyle, marcin gortat, anthony johnson, courtney lee, rashard lewis, tyronn lue, jameer nelson, michael pietrus, jj reddick, jeremy richardson, hedu turkoglu. that was the cast of characters that he carried to the nba finals.

3. how many guys can take the group listed in #2 to the nba finals? where are they? can you trade for any of them? can you sign any of them? seems to me dwight howard is the only guy available who could do that. call me crazy, but that's probably why teams are trying to get him.

4. didn't it make sense to leave orlando? doesn't it make sense to consider leaving los angeles now?

5. everyone loves stan van gundy and mike d'antoni. oh, wait.

i don't want to be misunderstood here. i am not a dwight howard fan either. however, talent is king and elite talent in that league is rare. if you don't believe that, watch the teams that go after andrew bynum once howard is off the table. someone will. don't doubt me. people will call it a mistake and they'll probably be right. the problem is what were the alternatives. your choices are to lose, lose big, gamble on unreliable talent, score an awesome free agent, make a trade with a team that is forced to, or get lucky in the draft. that's it.
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    Doyel finished 2nd (in column writing) in major writing competition. Dan Shaunnessy was an honorable mention in that category. Each writers submission is anonymous - voters/judges don't know who they're voting for. He finished 4th the year after. The guy knows how to write.

He doesn't need to document with sources. He writes an opinion. he's paid to be interesting. He's not an investigative reporter.

Many Florida fans don't like him (he's a UF alum) because of how critical he was of Meyer's football program. Seems like more and more UF fans are starting to agree with him lately though. He just wrote a piece about how ridiculous it is to implicate UF with the Aaron Hernandez situation.

http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/final-results-for-the-apse-contest/

17. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    No...you're thinking of Jags fans. :ninja:

Easy mistake to make as they both often come dressed as empty seats.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,974
    I suspect this piece wouldn't net him much praise from anyone in the profession.

Since when is documenting sources "investigative" journalism? When I took journalism classes, it was essential for any piece, including editorials. Last I checked, a journalistic opinion had nothing to do with what a writer likes or doesn't like, but rather taking a position with an argument that requires support. Doyel typically cites well-known events, then infers some ad hominem conclusion about an involved party, ordinarily with derogatory rhetoric and little or no recourse to the sport he is addressing.
  19. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +2,687
    :no:
  20. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +954
    Dwight has 9 kids with different moms guy does not sound like a winner, but healthy he is very talented..