Greedy Student Athletes Are Ruining Everything

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Sep 26, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Wow, I mean how ignorant can you be? Do you realize there is a difference between not liking a game and not buying it for a while for whatever my reasons are? Apparently simple logic isn't an area you are strong at.

Furthermore everyone in this thread knew that we were not just talking about the video game but about them being more and more vocal about getting paid to play. When you are the only one (Oh wait, I forgot the other one, nawlins) its time to stop pointing the finger at me and start trying to develop some common sense. Please continue your education.
  2. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Sums it up ... plus:

- the student athlete's compensation in the form of scholarship, room & board is at the poverty level while their football commitment severely limits their ability to earn any additional income

- they can lose their scholarship at any time, even following a season or career ending injury

- schools are not required by the NCAA to cover medical expenses due to sports related injuries and even in cases where the school does cover expenses the out of pocket expenses for the athlete can be large

- there are limits on the ability of the athlete to transfer to another school and play football
  3. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    The solution is simple. Make the game generic and extremely easy to mod. Release a base game with fictional chars and teams and let the modding community do the rest. In fact, EA could release modding tools if necessary along with an expiring beta of the game beforehand.

Screw the stinking lawyers.
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    Nobody has a right to play in the NFL, it's their league, they make the rules. Don't like it? Start a new league. Oh wait, that's been tried and failed many times over.

As you said, that's not me or you to decide, that's the NFL's decision to make. You act as if they are a government entity (and to the extent that they are protected, I support removing that protection, but that's a tangent to say the least). The two things that you mention couldn't be much more completely unrelated.

Because the NFL is allowed to implement minimum standards for their league. Could he have played in Canada, Italy, Germany, or wherever else they play football professionally? More and more you see young people thinking outside the box and being willing to work overseas if the same opportunity is not available to them over here (and sometimes they may just want to do it to experience something new and unique). I don't recall hearing basketball players complain when they have to choose to play overseas if they want to play basketball professionally. Are they owed something different?

Again, you are mixing concepts here. Making money in college football is a different animal than rules that are in place to make it more difficult to enter the NFL.

Well, there is ONE thing we agree on. I'd be content to take away the sponsors, the large format replays, the ability to watch many games on tv at the same time, and the investor like behavior of fans that feel entitled...take all that away and get back to a more pure game. I do enjoy the technological advances (such as instant replay) which likely would never have come about without the sport becoming the businesses that is now, so there are some perks that go with it.

I disagree. They have the freedom, they are not obligated to sign up to play college football, you are just not thinking outside the traditional box...neither are they.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +882
    It depends, is the NCAA supplying the education or the universities?

Do universities makes money?

Is the money universities make "gross" in comparison to the value of the education/housing/books etc the athletes receive?

I don't know the answers but that seems like what we need to know.
  6. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Gator champ add me to the list of players wanting to get paid
  7. Hankxr

Hankxr Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Screw the NCAA, the players and EA.
    Enforce standardized academic progress @ every university, cut back on the tutoring, and start a farm league for players that cannot/will not work hard enough to earn a legit degree.

Have the NFL or whomever, pay the 18 and 19 year olds that are not able to control themselves, or do not have the intellectual ability, then promote them into the glorious NFL.

Yes, the college game quality will suffer, but if it is equivalent across the board, I'll still watch just as fervently as I do now.
  8. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,417
    I don't know if the EA issue is a bellwether of future trends by college athletes to get a bigger piece of the pie, but to the extent there are moves in that direction, I think they're going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I don't view college football players any different than I do any other amateur college athletes. The fact that the sport is so popular and generates enough money to create jobs for so many people is just a happy consequence IMO.

When I think of Foley and Muschamp (and past Gator coaches) I don't think about greed. I think about professional people (running an amateur sport) who work hard, are very good at what they do, and who deserve the nice salaries they get paid.

I don't have a problem with trying to find a way to give all scholarship athletes an additional stipend, but if they ever go down the road of paying college athletes based on the idea that they "deserve a piece of the pie" from the money generated by their college sport, then I would prefer to see them just blow up the whole system. I think they'll regret that because I think the amazing popularity associated with college sports will dry up to a great extent (I know I won't be watching anymore) and the popularity of the pro level they're so anxious to get to will suffer as well IMO.

We too often fail to realize we have a pretty good situation when we do. I think the system works great now. Hopefully, it doesn't get destroyed by shortsighted money-grabs.

That's the only thing I don't agree with you on. I love that the popularity of the game (which I ascribe more to the greatness of the game itself coupled with the loyalties inherent in college athletics from alumni and other fans - rather than who the specific star players of the day are) and the money generated has allowed so many advancements in our ability to follow our teams from afar (and to build such great stadiums and training facilities, and the whole industry that allows us to hire trained strength coaches and nutrition experts and specialized coaches, etc.). It's so much better now to be able to see pretty much every game. I'd hate to go back to trying to find the game on the radio and maybe not being able to do anything but read stories about the games afterward. And, the fact that so many people can make money off the whole industry to boot is just fine IMO.