Greedy Student Athletes Are Ruining Everything

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I bought this game pretty religiously. I've thoroughly enjoyed the last one, and obviously it will be the last one i enjoy. It's pretty much the only reason i bought consoles. I guess this means I'll be switching to PC.
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    How is EA the greedy ones? By the way, what exactly do you expect from a game that is based on a game that doesn't change?

The game of football is the same year after year with the only change being some rule changes every now and then. What exactly would you change about the game besides improving on the movement and smooth gameplay?
  3. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you aboutEA monopolizing, thus allowing them to create a minimally improved game each year, but EA didn't ruin it for everybody else with their greed by completely eliminating the possibility for a college football game to be created.
  4. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    Who's not paying attention? You took one fact (EA sports not making a game), and made it into a "next they will be doing all this other crap" thread. Don't assume everyone feels the same way you do.
  5. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    Funny, you're the only one that doesn't seem to know whats going on.

[​IMG]
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +796
    Can't EA offer a release/waiver for players and schools who want to be included in it? They could add an incentive by making those players and schools of a better quality.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  7. nawlinsgator

Ratings Received:
    +197
    Me? You're the one extrapolating ponzi schemes and the death of the game of football from a single video game that seems so very important to you. Join the real world, son.
  8. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    It kills me to see all these people complaining about "greedy" student athletes. The NCAA and the NFL, as usual, have overplayed their hand. They force kids to go to college instead of straight to the NFL and then they limit their benefits in college (so a kid who has zero money from home gets food and a scholarship - no dining out with a girlfriend, no job during the school year b/c of football requirements and can't work over the summer). Hmmm, the schools are making hundreds of millions a year but it is the students getting called greedy when asking for a stipend.

The reality is that the NCAA turned college football into a huge money making business, but still try to argue that it is all about an "education" for students when justifying not paying players. That becomes a total joke when you see the money football makes, graduation rates/majors and the time football demands from students.

I just cannot understand people who call themselves capitalist complaining about individuals trying to exploit their marketability and earnings power but being prevented from doing so by monopoly powers in the NFL and NCAA. Is this not America where you should be able to do anything within the law to earn as much as possible? If the NFL/NCAA want to stand on the high ground, let players go to the NFL at any time.
  9. nawlinsgator

Ratings Received:
    +197
    Totally agree.
    For the argument that "they wouldn't have any platform at all if the schools didn't offer them scholarships to play in the first place". Well, the schools employ people to go get the very best football players in high school to come play for them. They want the best product on the field and these players are it. A little spending money with all the cash they produce for the schools and conferences is not too much to ask. There is actually support for this notion....Steve Spurrier being one of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +651
    Lots of professions have age requirements. Lots of training requirements. There's nothing that requires a kid to go to college, but college is the best place for them to show off their talents to prospective employers -- ie, the NFL. But it's like Lou Hotlz said last week -- if a kid is so worried about being taken advantage of, don't play. Leave your team (or don't go to school) make the investment in yourself and hire your own coaches and then try out. If you've got the skills and you are old enough, someone might take you.

It's funny that the only argument for this is for the players perspective. What about the coaches, who give their time and talent and passion to help these players be all they can be, only to see the players claim to be taken advantage of. Ever hire a personal trainer? 50 bucks an hour, minimum. So that's $1000 a week the player is saving right there, not to mention the use of the best damn gyms in the world, free medical care for every little injury. Forget the tuition or the room and board -- just the training they are getting, the athletic dedication someone is giving them -- is worth a lot of money. And coaches, who put their efforts and investments in a kid, can see it all taken away because the kid breaks the rule, putting their own future in jeopardy.

They get plenty. Plenty. They just want more.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    Son? Listen, I tried not to be an a-hole but you pushed so now you got one. First of all, you'll never be my father, so don't address me as such. By looking at your avatar, I'd say you were just some little punk twelve year old that still watches cartoons in his boxers on saturday mornings after he does mommy's chores.

Now, does it concern you that you're the only person on this thread that doesn't know whats going on in college sports? 5 pages of responses and YOU'RE the only ignorant one that can't figure out what I'm talking about. Don't sit here and blame me when everyone that has a brain and internet access already figured it out.

I suggest you start thinking before you post because you just showed everyone how ignorant you really are, ok slugger?
  12. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    Improved graphics, game play, controls, physics, commentary, realistic stadiums, realistic weather, improved AI... lots of things can be improved. EA has no incentive to improve upon any of those things, because they are the only game in town and they know die hard fans will always buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gator Country
  13. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    Fair enough. I haven't bought an EA game since 2007 anyway so I don't know what they fixed since then, but I do know they usually at least try to fix stuff like that. I agree that when I did buy the game, they never seemed to improve much from year to year so I ended up buying about every 3 years or so.
  14. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Free medical care for every little injury? Sure, but you know that stops the minute the scholarship expires? (According to former Minnesota Viking running back Robert Smith)

Google Patrick Lattimore, the former linebacker for UCLA that had to quit the game because of concussions. Chronic concussion symptoms for a "free" ride. :no:
  15. VanNoord

VanNoord Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    This is a real shame. Aside from the compensation issue -- athletes certainly are entitled to some piece of the pie, maybe not in this case -- EA could have randomized the players and this lawsuit would have gone away. So maybe our RB was a white kid from New York, the center a black kid, etc. Instead, they made the QB Driskel so all you had to do was edit the name.

I tried Madden on and off, and always went right back to NCAA. They were different games, different cultures. And while EA certainly enraged us on a regular basis, NCAA was a great game.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +651
    So how much would be enough? How much are they entitled to? You think 2000 a month is going to make up for his concussion? How about the guy whose knees still hurt 10 years later? How much is enough?
  17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Yes, going forward if they want to continue the EA game, why not just use only the likenesses of players who sign a waiver saying it's okay?
  18. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Well, I gotta say - after reading this thread I have concluded that greedy student athletes are not ruining anything at all.
  19. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    Give it time, you'll see.

If the NCAA gives in and starts to pay them (along with every other athlete that plays college sports, hello Title IX), watch all the universities either get rid of football or other sports. At some point, we will only have farm leagues for the NFL and college football will not exist.
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,690
    Excellent points!