Greedy Student Athletes Are Ruining Everything

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Sep 26, 2013.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,182
    Damn it msa. I leave one good point out there, and you've got to find it. :)

Yes, I agree that the EA deal could be a part of the whole package, except as you point out, the likeness problem. I think the main issue against having a "use of likeness" clause is that the NCAA blocks competition and blocks the students themselves from profiting off their likenesses. If there is a fair market, where some schools have this clause in place and others don't, then the students really have a choice. But if the NCAA levies this rule, their monopoly power eliminates the market forces that are relied upon to produce fair outcomes.
  2. camp1

camp1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +151
    Consider this twist on the subject:

Did anyone notice the settlement the NFL agreed to with former players on the concussion issue? Three-quarters of a BILLION dollars.

Do you think there might be a few former college players that suffered some post-playing days issues from head injuries (whether legit or not)?

Might there have been an attorney that noticed the dollars to be exchanged in the NFL settlement?

Lets take a guess as to what might be coming next.
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,048
    I saw a thread from another website where someone said it, he seemed to do the research so I didn't bother to question it. Still, 15 to 23 isnt that big of a difference.

By the way, Title IX makes it so that we cannot just talk about basketball and football, or only mens sports for that matter.
  4. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +4,048
    Oh yeah, that explains a lot alright... Or its possible that I didn't read the whole post and only responded to what he said about Janoris.

It was a nice try though, next time maybe you should use a little logic before posting.
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    universities and athletic associations are also heavily "lawyered up." Try to sell a t-shirt with a UF type logo---you will quickly encounter some very angry lawyers.
  6. bcdowling

bcdowling New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    That was how I took it :grin: I liked Janoris a lot and was seriously bummed he got booted. Right or wrong about marijuana use (another topic for another forum) he still kept violating a team rule - I don't care if it's a rule about curfew, a rule about behavior at parties, or a rule about smoking dope. He still kept breaking the same team rule. Just dumb.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +4,048
    Yeah I agree, sadly he just couldn't do what he was supposed to. Rules are rules and he couldn't live by them, I fully supported the decision to boot him from the team. But I'm still happy to call him a Gator. I tried to find the article about the Gator Club that invited him to one of their functions but I thought it was a nice gesture. He even wore a Gator sticker in the Senior bowl I believe.

Ill always consider him a Gator that just made a few mistakes.
  8. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Madden 13 was utter trash because of the new psychics engine. It's way better now they have had another year to work with it but in Madden 13 it was so dang glitchy.

Runningbacks constantly falling down instantly after running into there linemen's back, everybody tripping over each other like a bunch of drunk idiots, arms and legs glitching into weird places, ect. That ruined Madden more than it helped it's first year.

You have you're own opinion but I say you're crazy to call one head shoulders above the rest. They both are owned by the same company and run on the same engine simple as that
  9. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    Coming from someone who thinks student athletes should be paid, I couldn't be more sick with O'Bannon. If you dislike the rule, I get it. But going in, he knew the rules, and the rules are you don't get paid for your likeness. If you didn't want to play and you didn't like the rule, no one forced you to play.

Just a greedy world that is filled with people looking to make a few extra dollars. The hilarious thing is that after legal fees and such, O'Bannon probably lost money over this case.
  10. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    x2
  11. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
  12. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    In the long run no jerseys will be made/sold and no games will be played. Fewer people will identify these players and their brand will suffer. They're only hurting themselves.
    Kids who play for schools like Akron and Georgia State will no longer get the joy of seeing themselves on a video game.
  13. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +4,048
    Last time I played 2k sports it was complete garbage, granted this was a while ago, have they really gotten that much better?
  14. Pasco08

Ratings Received:
    +330
    There Football product is good but there Baseball product is garbage compared to the Show.
  15. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    That is true that they are only in college because of their football abilities, but that just further shows that they do not get rewarded with free education. Most of these kids would never go to college if not for football and when they are in college because of football they take easy majors because of the time required for football. Even the ones with the mind to do more can't because of time required for football. Now they do get free shelter and food for 3-5 years, but that is hardly enough payment for a revenue generating star like Tebow or Bush. It just makes a stronger case for paying them. These coaches and NCAA executives make enough money- I'd rather some of the money go to the athletes themselves.

The NCAA system is one of the rare organizations on earth that produces profit without directly paying its revenue drivers (the players). They do indirectly pay them with college, dorm, and food, but even then in situations like that a small salary is given by most organizations.
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
  17. Pasco08

Ratings Received:
    +330
  18. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +4,048
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    to the lawyers? Yes
  20. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    EA Sports are the greedy ones. They have exclusive deals with the NCAA and NFL, as well as the SEC, ESPN, the Heisman Trophy, etc. Any other company that wants to make a game like Madden or NCAA Football would have to create fictitious teams, fictitious players, stadiums, trophies, etc. No one would want to buy that.

EA Sports essentially has a monopoly on football video games. Without any competition, they have been able to put out the same crappy game year after year with only minor upgrades. Think of how awesome college football video games would be if there were other companies producing competing games. Each incarnation of NCAA Football would have to be significantly better than the previous, otherwise EA would get left in the dust while consumers would be spending their money on the competitor's video game, a game that would have superior graphics, game play, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gator Country