Greedy Student Athletes Are Ruining Everything

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I am sure that some of the former players who sued played the video game themselves and got a big kick out of controlling their likeness in games with friends. Yes, the NCAA is hypocritical but pretending to be out of pocket because your jersey number and correct skin color (and they don't always get this part right. They had Vol QB Casey Clausen as a black guy one year.) were used in a video game is lame.
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,455
    We cannot see the future so hard to say where this is going. But in the case of football I feel it's a little different. Most of the time our football players are very committed, I would think. They put themselves through a lot physically and it takes its toll. Lets be honest, other people make a lot of money off of the game(s). Which athletes would you pay and how much? I don't know. It seems like a slippery slope. But nonetheless, a lot of people make plenty of money off of football which is impossible without the athletes, their talents, their sacrifice. I cannot say I blame them for wanting a fair share- if such a thing exists.

Now, if you told me volleyball players were demanding a cut....
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    I disagree. The NCAA and EA are the greedy ones. Plus EA is pathetic. 2k Sports is far superior which is why EA sports buys the exclusive license for any sport it can because it is scared that 2k Sports is far superior.

The players get a free bachelors degree which these days is worthless. Also because of the time needed to be a football player they are forced into degrees like communications which makes it even more worthless. Try playing football full time and majoring in biomed or engineering- it is nearly impossible unless you are a rare gifted genius.

Also players have to pay taxes on the portion of their scholarship that pays for their dorm and food, so it is not entirely free.
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    Just think of all the kids (non football playing students) that can make the grade but have higher standards just to get into the University of Florida but aren't accepted... Football players (most football players, especially the ones wanting money) would never even get in on their core classes and grades if they didn't play ball, so it's a fair tradeoff, IMHO..
  5. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Replace the "student athletes" in the headlines with "lawyers" and there is your answer

Ruining the country
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    As Shakespeare said: "First, kill all the lawyers."
  7. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    ncaa "officials" and college administrators and coaches are making billions/millions off the names of college players. who's greedy?
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    This is the real problem. You used to be able to play QB with a 6'3", 240 lb quarterback wearing #15 that looked just like Tim Tebow. Part of the appeal of the game was being able to play AS Tim Tebow.

You tell me if someone makes a video game about you and makes millions of dollars that you aren't going to have a problem with it?

They changed this in recent years but the lawsuits entailed previous years.

As much as I love(d) the game, it truly was a raw deal.
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,553
    This is overblown.

Can you guess how many universities actually make money off of their athletic department?
  10. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +533
    The irony of it is that NCAA Football by EA Sports is widely popular with the young male demograph, including current players.

As for the education being free, Robert Smith was on ESPN radio yesterday and made some compelling points. A small percentage make it to the next level. And the education is not free - the athletes pay with their time and ultimately, their bodies. There is no medical coverage for injuries sustained during college once they leave.
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    See, I don't find that ironic (or hypocritical). The game is fun, they want to play it. It's so fun that it sells millions of copies and makes millions of dollars. And part of that money has come from the appeal of playing "as" college players.
  12. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +533
    You misread what he stated. NCAA officials, university administrators and obviously head coaches, are making tons of money.
  13. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    The University of Florida made tens of millions from selling Tebow jerseys. Don't we all think that he deserves a cut?

If we don't want this current situation to blow up, it's time for the NFL to institute a D-League. But that will cost money, won't it, why buy the cow when you can steal the milk?

So what will happen if there was an NFL D-League? The stars, the truly talented would be recruited by the league and the quality of college football would suffer. I'm OK with it, but will people pay upwards of $100/ticket to see a mediocre product? If we truly want these guys to be student athletes then we need to reduce the amount of time they spend training which will reduce the product quality further.

It's time for reform.
  14. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +533
    The irony is that former players are essentially taking it from current and future players. Kind of like NCAA sanctions.
  15. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Greed seems to be running rampant these days......across the board. The athletes are getting a free education that most of us would kill for. The vast majority of these players will NOT go on to play in the NFL. If they are smart, which is somewhat questionable, they would thank their lucky stars for the free ride they just got. On the other hand, the makers of the games should not be allowed to pocket huge profits while using the names of amateur athletes. Either remove the names or makes them funnel a high percentage of the profits to charity, so that society can benefit as opposed to a few greedy businessmen.
  16. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +533
    Everybody keeps using the word "free" in describing the education and ride. I would be interested in getting the athlete's perspective into how much time and pain is put into the "free" education that internet forum poster would kill for.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Not future players as EA doesn't actually do this anymore (use the likeness), but I don't see it as ironic, personally.
  18. No1GatorFreak

No1GatorFreak Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    I would guess about 35?
  19. klgator

klgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    Bingo!
  20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,176
    this is a good thing. Now all those "students" sitting on their ass playing video games can go to the game and fill up those empty seats.....